What's new

Vintage Gillette New help?

Interesting one that looks to be a new type open comb, with a copper colored top cap. It has 13 teeth per side, weighs 54 gm total with the head being 29.8 of that.

Top cap - no markings on the under side but it has the “bumps” on each corner.

Bottom plate - has markings in each corner

A. Gillette logo
B. MADE IN U.S.A.
C. PAT NO 1815745
PAT NO 1858516
D. REISSUE PAT
NO. 17567

Handle - 80 mm long, 9.5mm dia. There are markings, almost gone, engraved around the flat just forward of the ball that might be “PATENT USA 1920” and a second line “ ?? PATENT PENDING”. They’re very faint now so even with my magnifying ring light I can’t make out much more.

I’ve done the Dawn and toothbrush thing a couple times and just a touch of jewelry polishing cloth - still kinda rough shape but I love the beautifully natural patina it has so iI think I’ll stop there and put it into rotation.

Curious if anyone can tell if I’m right about it being 1920’s and value if any. Not a big deal if it’s worthless - I paid $6 for it and if it shaves worth a damn it will have the best cost/shave pleasure ratio of any razor I own 😀

978A6DD4-D903-4DAB-A170-153CB99911B7.jpeg

AF145F96-4003-4199-B086-61309A19FE8A.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nice razor but valuations are not permitted on B&B. Take a look at final sales prices on Ebay for an idea. Someone will be along shortly to tell you exactly what you have, some sort of 1930s New long comb maybe, possibly the cap is a mismatch. 👍

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My friend @Jeffish , if you have never tried a New Long Comb, you are in for a treat. I have never used a better feeling razor.

And what kind of fish are you holding in your profile pic if you don't mind my asking?

@EclipseRedRing - Oops! Thanks for pointing out the valuation rule - I should have checked before posting…And I do wonder if it is a mismatched cap - there’s another razor in the box with that is similar and could have been switched….

@Cal - mucho gracias! I think the cap on the other razor mentioned has the full length locating pins.

Fellow Michigander @FarmerTan! - there was yet a 3rd razor in the group (photo below) that looks to be old type that I took for a spin this morning - if the new long comb is anything like that, it’ll be just glorious! Fish in the profile pic is a mutton snapper. Best eating fish in the ocean in my humble opinion 👍.

B1F87B08-0BC7-4F49-A84F-9E254AC5BF7A.jpeg

Yep. New Long Comb. You did not overpay. And it should shave well. I like the patina - that is a well loved razor. If there are no handle cracks, you have an unusual specimen. :biggrin1:

There are many New LC and Old Types in vintage stores in the Pacific NW. New Improved, New Short Comb and New Deluxe are far less frequent.

I have three New LC right now, having PIFed a few. One, which has a ball end handle, has shorter fins, though the fins look a bit longer than yours. The other have the long fin and common bar handles.

All my New LC and SC seem to have red/coppery brass caps once the gold has washed away.
F16DDAA2-F9D1-4935-A598-523EF9F86FB2.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yep. New Long Comb. You did not overpay. And it should shave well. I like the patina - that is a well loved razor. If there are no handle cracks, you have an unusual specimen. :biggrin1:

There are many New LC and Old Types in vintage stores in the Pacific NW. New Improved, New Short Comb and New Deluxe are far less frequent.

I have three New LC right now, having PIFed a few. One, which has a ball end handle, has shorter fins, though the fins look a bit longer than yours. The other have the long fin and common bar handles.

All my New LC and SC seem to have red/coppery brass caps once the gold has washed away.
View attachment 1508986
You PIF'd me mine, my friend. I have a lot of nice razors, but that one shaves as good as any other. Amazing how well it shaves with 100 year old technology!

Top Bottom