What's new

Vintage Gillette K-34 Shaving Cream

The description about this vintage Gillette shaving cream’s K-34 additive is interesting. The claims in regards to the K-34’s ability to “destroy 99% of facial bacteria” is intriguing. Maybe it does have these anti-bacterial abilities? If so, I wonder why they stopped using whatever “K-34” is? Cost, safety, environment?
Thought some of the folks here would enjoy seeing and reading about this vintage Gillette shaving cream. Mullard

806273AF-8985-4D93-A13B-87592B0C227C.jpeg
8F1B799A-0C11-437A-996F-913E92D25217.jpeg
22716619-6692-4BBD-BFE3-778DE056AB80.jpeg
39AD889D-C84A-4CD3-A9D4-E0DAC6349823.jpeg

Here is a bit more information about the K-34:

2,2'- dihydroxy -3,5,6,3',5',6' hexachlorodiphenyl methane exhibits strong antiseptic properties. The solid compound is white, practically odorless and tasteless. These qualities and physical properties permit its wide use as an antiseptic, bactericidal, fungicidal and preserving agent. It may be employed in solid form as well as in solution or emulsion or in admixtures with other active or inert substances such as tooth powders, tooth pastes, ointments, creams, cosmetics, rubber goods, etc.

I wonder if it, or a newer substitute, is used in today's shaving creams.

Tim

Oh, by the way, where did you find this vintage shaving cream. It would be neat to come across something like this and give it a try.

Tim

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for posting, pitting that you cannot try it. Will look good in the man cave/shave den.

The description about this vintage Gillette shaving cream’s K-34 additive is interesting. The claims in regards to the K-34’s ability to “destroy 99% of facial bacteria” is intriguing. Maybe it does have these anti-bacterial abilities? If so, I wonder why they stopped using whatever “K-34” is? Cost, safety, environment?
Thought some of the folks here would enjoy seeing and reading about this vintage Gillette shaving cream. Mullard

View attachment 945111 View attachment 945112 View attachment 945113 View attachment 945114

Brain damage.

K-34 is hexachlorophene.

Just do a search for: "hexachlorophene + dangers."

A whole generation of kids used it to control acne.

Thanks a lot, doctors!

Hexachlorophene was banned in the U.S. after a baby died in Europe from her talcum powder which contained it. I used Mennen Speed Stick deodorant with hexa. for years , worked great, smelled great. After they changed the formula the stuff did not work at all !...... Over the years they've done much better with constantly refined formulas.

Top Bottom