What's new

Vintage Gillette ID help?

Mail call

A Gillette ????

Super speed of some sort?

I found this on ebay and so far my research has let me down as to what exactly it is. Haven't been able to find one to compare.

Under the head it has the Gillette stamp and the II mark but that's it. No country. Head is the same as my older flare tips but the knob is the same as my later black handle. The handle is made of plastic and the knob appears to have originally been blue. Weighs 58g

What is it?

20210504_203044.jpg
20210504_203131.jpg

R

romsitsa

Seemingly a British Superspeed proto of some sort, or someone was very creative and talented.
The neck doesn't match know Gillette designs, the knob is from a later Ss when blue/red wasn't used anymore, it has end tabs, but lacks the little prongs which hold the T-bar in place, so it should have a "Rocket" type interior (double screw) and should be British. No "made in" is usually found on British export Superspeeds, is there a patent inside the tray?

My SWAG is that is a latter Super Speed that was modified for a person with arthritis or a similar condition that had difficulty grasping the regular handle.

I'm not familiar with a blue tip made after the 1950's. This could have been produced for the disabled market[emoji846]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Seemingly a British Superspeed proto of some sort, or someone was very creative and talented.
The neck doesn't match know Gillette designs, the knob is from a later Ss when blue/red wasn't used anymore, it has end tabs, but lacks the little prongs which hold the T-bar in place, so it should have a "Rocket" type interior (double screw) and should be British. No "made in" is usually found on British export Superspeeds, is there a patent inside the tray?

Inside is BRIT. PAT. 694093

Maybe it was a black handle super speed and the aluminum handle broke and the owner was clever enough to make his own handle. The handle looks nice tho.

Thanks for all the input so far. A couple of people have said they've seen one posted about before but still unable to find anything. Apparently some kind of prototype / factory worker special. Similar to the ones above. It definitely has more of a factory finish feel than a repair.

Some more info has been found!

R

romsitsa

So it has an US mechanism. Thinking further about what I wrote yesterday, prototypes were usually numbered, so it's more like a fun build or some sort of test/short run.
If the other razor is not the same as yours, then I'd opt for a test/short run. Also the plastic handle is injection moulded and seemingly is designed to that razor, would be pretty pricey for a one of build, imho.

Some more info has been found!

Great explanation! Thanks! :clap: :clap:

Top Bottom