What's new

Vintage Gillette ID assistance please, gentlemen

Good morning all. Been meaning to post but have been busy. My son found this beauty for me the other day and I'm unsure what it is. I tend to lean towards a '41 Aristocrat, but I know you fellas have more experience with seeing them. I've never actually seen an Aristocrat in person. Very efficient and aggressive shave, knurled on top stripe, either smooth or worn on one above TTO.
Can't tell if it's missing end caps or if they were originally exposed and brassed out hard, but they did NOT clean up. Has Pat Nos on Package stamped under blade tray. Had a used blue black place in it when found in the wild by my 12 year old! I'll keep him, especially since I paid $6.50 for it!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Good morning all. Been meaning to post but have been busy. My son found this beauty for me the other day and I'm unsure what it is. I tend to lean towards a '41 Aristocrat, but I know you fellas have more experience with seeing them. I've never actually seen an Aristocrat in person. Very efficient and aggressive shave, knurled on top stripe, either smooth or worn on one above TTO.
Can't tell if it's missing end caps or if they were originally exposed and brassed out hard, but they did NOT clean up. Has Pat Nos on Package stamped under blade tray. Had a used blue black place in it when found in the wild by my 12 year old! I'll keep him, especially since I paid $6.50 for it!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

More like a 1951 Aristocrat...

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1951 (W1) Aristocrat from Jeff.jpg

proxy.php

Big congrats!

Not a 41-47. The center bar is notched. The end caps are missing. That’s old solder.
Actually, you’ll need to clean up the bottom to see if there’s a date code. If no date code, it’s a 48-50.

Definitely post-1947. Give her a good dish soap soaking and a little soft brush work, and it looks like it will clean up pretty nice. Seems weird that the side caps are gone, but the gold finish doesn't look exceptionally worn. I wonder if a previous user had a habit of banging the side of the razor head on his sink?

Great find and even better price!! Wash it up and give it a try, with a fresh blade of course lol.

I wonder if a previous user had a habit of banging the side of the razor head on his sink?
It's mind boggling to me that anyone could think that's a good idea... I read somewhere, that that's probably why so many OC razors have bent corner teeth - especially the ones where all four corner teeth are bent.

It's mind boggling to me that anyone could think that's a good idea... I read somewhere, that that's probably why so many OC razors have bent corner teeth - especially the ones where all four corner teeth are bent.

I wouldn't do it because I covet my razors too much, but I definitely remember being a small child and hearing that distinct clink clink clink! of my grandfather clearing his razor on the side of the sink while shaving. Heck, I used to do the same with my mach 3.

Not a 41-47. The center bar is notched. The end caps are missing. That’s old solder.
Actually, you’ll need to clean up the bottom to see if there’s a date code. If no date code, it’s a 48-50.

48-50 for the win. I had cleaned it up enough to use. Fresh Astra SP with 3 now shaves on it! So this would be a great candidate for a plate job at some point, eh? 48-50 is far less aggressive than a 41-47? Now I'm intrigued and gonna be on the prowl for a driver. The English just look cooler, but are basically the same shave wise?

@JBO667, So this would be a great candidate for a plate job at some point, eh?

Shave with it for a while, see if you like it.

48-50 is far less aggressive than a 41-47?

I would guess it’s a very small step. I’ve not tried a 48-50 Aristocrat, but the difference between a 47 no notch, and a 48-50 Super Speed is pretty small.

Now I'm intrigued and gonna be on the prowl for a driver. The English just look cooler, but are basically the same shave wise?

I can’t speak for every English Aristocrat, but a #15 Open Comb or #21 safety bar are quite a bit more aggressive than any NDC Super Speed. Significantly different.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying a '48-'50 yet, but I absolutely love my '46-'47! It would be the one razor I would keep if I had to get rid of all but one.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very cool and congrats.

I'm guessing it's a noisy shaver. My Aristo-lookalike is.

Still have to address the "dropping knob" on mine.

AA

Top Bottom