What's new

Vintage Gillette Finds

I broke down and went to my favorite antique place today. I found a couple nice razors that I couldn't pass up. First, I found a nice 40s style super speed that only really needs a polish, though the plating might be off end caps. The other one was in a black and clear Gillette case. I'm pretty sure it is a tech heavy in gold, but there was also a second base plate (also gold) in the case. I believe it is an open comb from a Gillette new. Overall also in great condition even with the wear through some of the gold plating. I'm about to head out so no pictures right now, but I should be posting some pictures tonight once I am home.

I need to grab some supplies, but I should be able to clean, polish, and sterilize them quickly and soon.

Sounds like a great score, look forward to seeing sone of the pictures of razors being found out in an antique store. Cheers.

Yes I know. I didn't have a chance to take pictures before I went out. I will take some when I get home. (Posted from phone.)

Alright, I got pictures taken of the razors.
First the 40s Super Speed:

$gillette_superspeed40s.jpg

The baseplate reads:
REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.
<GILLETTE ARROW> MADE IN U.S.A.​

$gillette_superspeed40s_baseplate.jpg

And the inside reads:
PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE​

$gillette_superspeed40s_inside.jpg

I do not see any date codes or serial numbers on this razor.

And what I believe is a tech heavy. I do not know if the box or the open comb base plate (almost definitely not the open comb) are original to the razor.

$gillette_techheavy_box.jpg

You can see how the plating is coming off from use.

$gillette_techheavy.jpg

The bottoms read,
Cap:
none
Safety Bar base plate:
REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.
Open Comb Base plate:
REISSUE PAT. NO. 17567 PAT. NO. 1815645 PAT. NO. 1858316

$gillette_techheavy_bottoms.jpg

Tops read,
Open comb and cap: none
Safety bar baseplate:
PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE​

$gillette_techheavy_tops.jpg

And what I believe is a tech heavy. I do not know if the box or the open comb base plate (almost definitely not the open comb) are original to the razor.

View attachment 407251

You can see how the plating is coming off from use.

View attachment 407252

The bottoms read,
Cap:
none
Safety Bar base plate:
REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.
Open Comb Base plate:
REISSUE PAT. NO. 17567 PAT. NO. 1815645 PAT. NO. 1858316

View attachment 407253

Tops read,
Open comb and cap: none
Safety bar baseplate:
PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE​

View attachment 407254
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm
proxy.php

I can just barely see where the gillette arrow was on the tech's razor head. The tech looks like it was very well used and loved in it's past life and I think it will make a good addition to my supplies. I feel the same way about super speed.

Though I have a question for you all. The New open comb seems to fit very nicely on the tech and the razor gap looks more aggressive, but not shred my face completely. Would any of you suggest trying the open comb on the tech or would you recommend to not even think about trying that combo?

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Go for it. It should shave just like a Gillette NEW (that's the open comb plate you have), which is one of the most popular razors around here. The Tech used the same top cap as the NEW, but with a different base plate. You've really got two great razors in one.

I kind of had a feeling I found them together because that is what the previous owner was doing with it. I just wanted to hear some opinions anyway. Thanks guys.

I gave the super speed a shot this morning. It was also my first de shave. It definitely gives a great mild shave. Still a bit of neck redness, but nothing like using my m3 and like 100 times better than the m3 with shave goo. Honestly I have a feeling that it is mostly still leftover from the day before with the cartridge. I might have to try the tech tomorrow.

As previously stated, a Gillette Tech, with a New baseplate included. Good, mild razors.

Box is from a 60's (possible 70's) Gillette Adjustable. The "magnifying glass" in the box top was a marketing gimmick to draw attention to the adjustable dial.

Thanks Mike for commenting on the box. I was wondering about that because the bottom half is cracked pretty badly, the front latch is messed up, and the top half is all spiderwebbed. I don't think it is worth keeping, but I'd like to know from other folks with more experience with razor collecting.

Top Bottom