What's new

Vintage Gillette Defects

How serious is a split in the handle of the razor. This should effect value but in terms of the funtion ?

I am looking at some silver Richwoods and some have mentioned a small crack.

Just some thoughts.

Thank you.

if it does not have a crack, it is an exception. Almost all of them do. Cracks can vary in severity. Mine don't have any effect on function, although I have looked at a couple that were bad enough that the head would not stay on the handle. It is important to know how "small" the crack is.

lol

Thanks for the info.

Now how about teeth. I see some sell with bent teeth. The would effect the shave would it not?

The split is the handle will effect the value of the razor. If the split is tiny it should not effect the shave as long as the head does not move. This is a common problem with many of these. More often than not, it will be fine.

bent teeth would effect the shave but the degree to which depends on how much it's bent and in what direction. More often than not you will see a outside tooth bent inward to the rest of the comb. This happens when a razor is dropped. Sometimes you can straighten them out without breaking them but it is very tough. If you are careful you can shave just fine with them or you can use it as a single edge razor :biggrin:

Bent teeth? I guess it would depend on how bent. I have a Richwood and it had a bent tooth. It was not too bad, but it bothered me. I tried to bend it back...BAD IDEA...now I have a Richwood with a missing tooth.:mad:

It took surprisingly little force, too. So I recommend you live with the bent tooth/teeth or just walk away now. DO NOT try to bend it back or you may end up kicking yourself...trust me...it is not fun.

I don't mind cracks in the handle. I have a Ball end NEW, a Tuckaway and a Bostonian that all have small cracks in the handles. The cracks have been stable since I've owned the razors and I don't generally worry about them. I do take care when I'm tightening the handle during razor blade replacement.

One thing I don't settle for is bent/missing comb teeth.

To get a crack free :)blush:) Gillette New Improved (i.e. New Standard, Bostonian, Tuckaway, etc) will definitely cost a premium on Ebay unless you score it under radar. There is less of a premium on crack free NEW's.

Most small cracks can be fixed/stabilized with some waterproof epoxy - this also works to secure a loose head/end.

Cracks in the handle are very common in several older types models. More so in various models of the "New and Improved" and "New" series. If the crack is small, there should not be any adverse effect on function, but it would affect the price somewhat. Very often sellers would not mention this type of imprefection in their ebay auctions so I would recommend asking. Also, if you got lucky and obtained one without a crack, be very careful with handling it, and especially cleaning and sterilizing procedures; you will be amazed how quickly a crack can develop....!

+1, What Cutting edge said, also when you tighten the top cap down don't overdo it. I believe that to be the source of a crack in the seamed tubing developing in many cases.

Top Bottom