What's new

Vintage Gillette Blue Blades

They were quite common when I started shaving and I must have used them for some time with whatever Gillette I started with back in the mid-60's (probably a Super Speed) but how good were they compared to today's blades? I know I could buy some old vintage blades but I'd rather ask the members here instead. :)

I was hoping to hear of user experiences compared to modern blades. I don't have an interest in buying any.

Those Blue blades were carbon steel. Not stainless steel. The ones from the 40s-50s don't have a coating. Around 1958-59 (I think) they started coating them with silicone, which was considered an improvement. In the 70s they even started making them with PTFE coating like the stainless steel blades for more smoothness. I have tried the ones from the 60s, but they are terrible. The problem is most if not all Blue blades from that time have deteriorated. On most you can even see rust.

Yeah what Ivan said, they're not worth your trouble unless you plan them to be "display only". I've tried both blue blades and super blue blades, blue were not even 1 stroke in and tossed, the super blue did give 1 pass but still was a lot of tug and pull, not pleasant.

Reactions: CCS
Thanks, guys. I'm pretty sure I used them back in the day (mid-60s) and I have a couple packs that came with a couple razors I bought some years back. Just curious as I love using my vintage Gillettes but suspect that vintage blades are for the birds vs. modern ones.

suspect that vintage blades are for the birds vs. modern ones.
Only vintage carbon blades are not worth the hassle 99% of the time, vintage stainless steel based blades on the other hand are great assuming they weren't store in a humid wet bathroom for years or decades. Myself and others use them exclusively...

Only vintage carbon blades are not worth the hassle 99% of the time, vintage stainless steel based blades on the other hand are great assuming they weren't store in a humid wet bathroom for years or decades. Myself and others use them exclusively...
Having 700-800 blades in inventory, I'm probably good but was curious about the old Blue Blades in particular.

Your best bet would be Super Blue Blades from the mid-70s or 80s. I remember shaving with 1977 S.B.B, a few years back, and being pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom