What's new

Vintage Gillette 7 o'clock

Hey everybody.

I collect vintage Gillette DE razors.
Now I have discovered the 7 O'clock, which I read was bought by Gillette.
How do I know if I buy a 7 O'clock, is from Gillette?
Some of them is stamped with Gillette, but I have seen others claimed to be Gillette, but it only says 7 O'clock and 'Made in England' with no patent number.

Hope domeone can help me.
Cheers.

For reference here is mine, which is not stamped with Gillette
image.jpg

I'm not sure if this helps but it might be useful for the history aspect

Thank you for the reply.
It does help.
There is so much mystery and research with the vintage razors and much of the fun is doing the research and learn something new.

R

romsitsa

I would suggest to forget that thread.

Seven O' clock and Valet were brands of Gaisman, together with Probak. After the merger of Gaisman and Gillette, Valet remained in production, Seven O'clock remained as a brand to kill competition in the lower priced blade market (same with Rubie for eg.). At first the Seven O' clock blades were identical with Probak, later with the unified Gillette/Probak design.

Double edge Seven O' clock razors were most likely produced by Roth&Büchner (Rfb without corner tabs, later with corner tabs) which, by that time was also part of the big and happy Gillette family.
Later by Gillette, these are rebranded flat bottom News or Techs.
Seven O' clock razors do not have any patent info (early tin boxes and cardboard shippers have the blade patents) or Gillette branding.

So technically any double edge Seven O'clock was produced by a Gillette company.

Folks, I found this in an antique store in country Queensland Australia last year. The bottom of the base plate says “Gillette“ and “Made in Canada” yet the blades profess to be made in England. The tin says “7 O’Clock” all over it. I suspect that it is not the box that razor came in originally!
BAAEAFB8-59ED-40DE-8A55-23156680B860.jpeg
24F31866-4A18-4AC1-9705-BE33E34B95B8.jpeg
5FC9A4B9-0BE6-49AC-9BE7-35F35E338DF9.jpeg
A4544C37-E651-4074-892F-AC7B0C031CB3.jpeg
D1F82BE7-B84D-4934-87FA-13EDDAB3B93C.jpeg
081E9B0E-FE7B-45F1-A66D-4F33F3E6B485.jpeg

Thanks!! Great thread! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom