What's new

Vintage Gillete cleaning advice

Hi,
New guy here.
I just received two razors that belonged to my wife's grandfather. I'd like to clean them up and work them into my rotation. The plating is all gone, so I know they won't get shiny like new. I would like some advice on knocking down some of the corrosion on the bare brass. Any help is appreciated!
Bill

IMG_4053.jpgIMG_4055.jpg!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thanks!!

I'll dive into those links. I believe the short handle is Army issue. They were both with his WWII medals, and buttons.

R

romsitsa

The short one is a Milady Tech, nice. As plating is gone, the easiest way to shine them up would be an automotive polish and elbow grease.

If the Gold Wash on the cap of the Old Type (longer open comb) is in tact, try not to use polish on it. The Gold Wash comes off very easily, so use any polish, even non-abrasive sparingly with a light touch. Is that corrosion on the underside of the cap, or just built up gunk?

I'd drop them in an ultra sonic for a couple of runs, with cleaning solution, mixed with distilled water, if you have access to an ultra sonic cleaner. That ultra sonic was probably the best purchase I made for cleaning up my vintage razors, as it also gets the inside of the adjustable models, and the imbedded discoloration in the knurling better than anything else.

If the Gold Wash on the cap of the Old Type (longer open comb) is in tact, try not to use polish on it. The Gold Wash comes off very easily, so use any polish, even non-abrasive sparingly with a light touch. Is that corrosion on the underside of the cap, or just built up gunk?

I'd drop them in an ultra sonic for a couple of runs, with cleaning solution, mixed with distilled water, if you have access to an ultra sonic cleaner. That ultra sonic was probably the best purchase I made for cleaning up my vintage razors, as it also gets the inside of the adjustable models, and the imbedded discoloration in the knurling better than anything else.
I can also attest the ultrasonic cleaners are great at getting out interior gunk. I've got some old one piece razors that operate like new after some hot water in the ultrasonic.

Hi,
New guy here.
I just received two razors that belonged to my wife's grandfather. I'd like to clean them up and work them into my rotation. The plating is all gone, so I know they won't get shiny like new. I would like some advice on knocking down some of the corrosion on the bare brass. Any help is appreciated!
Bill

View attachment 1201768View attachment 1201769!
This post is old but you guys are sooo helpful. I love this hobby. Have fun!

Didn't hurt the red tip's paint? I know it knocks the black off an adjustable dial.
I throw my razors in the ultrasonic cleaner every time I use them. I’ve never encountered any plating or paint loss. Perhaps more powerful professional ultrasonics that are used to clean diesel injectors will, but I doubt a $30 Amazon cleaner that is meant for eyeglasses and jewelry will. Perhaps if there is paint that is already losing its adhesion, but it would fall off on its own anyway. Mostly it’s good for removing dried on soap scum from crevasses and hard to get places.

After using an ATT razor for the past decade, I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and gave it a bath. I used blitz cleaner and water and ran it through 3 cycles.

It looks super nice and brand new again.

Don't get too crazy - `you might harm the finish. As someone said above, little Dawn, toothbrush = golden. Any nasties are long gone by this time.

I just use an old toothbrush and some supermarket own brand antibacterial dish detergant, it works so well that my razor polishing cloths from Razoremporium remain firmly unopened.

Top Bottom