What's new

Vintage Gift sets: Old Spice mug, soap & aftershave set #3374

I have aquired an Old Spice gift set. (I am so, so hyped over this it is embarrassing lol).

I thought i would talk to the forum about it. Sorry for the long OP.

It is a Shulton Gift set #3374. Consisting of:
(Very nice) gift box
Shaving mug with lid
Shaving soap puck
Aftershave.

Pictures:
20180620_213453.jpg
20180625_091551.jpg
20180620_213559.jpg

According to OS Collectibles

Gift Set 3374 - 1962 to 1964: After Shave Lotion 4.75 oz.; Shaving Mug 4 oz.
From 1965 to 1970 the Shaving Mug held a 3.75 oz. soap.
It is 60's vintage. I'm guessing its early 60's given that: puck sizes varies:

1938 to mid 1940s - 5.5 oz.
mid 1940s to 1959 - 5 oz.
1960 to 1964 - 4 oz.
1965 to 1975 - 3.75 oz.
1976 to 1991 - 3 oz

And my set is 4 1/2 oz.

The set is 99% perfect except for one size of the box lid being split on the corner.
The mug is sealed with its original taping. The bottle is full. There are no marks or flaws at all that i can see.

I've had the "vintage buyers dilemma" with this since i received it. I didnt expect it to be so good. After much soul searching though I've convinced myself that whilst its lasted this long, it wont last for eternity and if it is to be used and enjoyed at all, it may as well be by me. If it lays untouched past my time, it would probably (tragically) be punted in the rubbish as old tat.
So I'm going to use it and enjoy it.
It really is a lovely, well made set. All parts of it have a touch of quality which put modern gift sets to shame.

I opened the mug and the tapes holding the lid on did not give much resistance . The remnants stuck to the mug and lid and were a bugger to remove properly lol.
The puck is in perfect condition. I love the detail moulded into the top of the puck. It is a nice touch.
The A/S bottle is in equally good shape. The Grey stopper is solid and in good condition. The A/S has not spoiled.

I took the leap and decided to use the set for a shave. After wrestling with my conscience in taking the plunge, i picked my OS shave day carefully. Best not to rush these things.

I removed the puck from the mug to see if it needed scrubbing first . I decided against it. The mug was sealed on purchase and the puck was in good condition. I've seen much worse on the forums. I'm struck at how big the puck is! It is going to last ages lol :)

For my shave, i went with something appropriate for the era and used my Gillette sportsman tech. (In equally amazing condition. These old things were built well huh).
As the puck is a hard soap, i did my usual trick of using a barely damp (synthetic) brush to load up on the puck before dipping in water and face lathering.
On loading, i was immediately struck that within the first few swishes of the (barely damp) brush on the puck, it was already trying to lather up. This is the only soap i've used where i have had to load and gather the lather from the get go before I've even dipped the brush!.
On the face, the soap bloomed immediately. Again, I'm used to working hard soaps a bit more to get the lather built. This Old spice was champing at the bit to get lathering. With very little effort (the least of all my soaps and with surprisingly little water ) the lather was done. It is a lovely soft and creamy lather. Very soothing and quite like my other vintage soaps (but better). On a par with MWF for the beautiful presentation is gives on your face.
The scent on this first shave has gone. I'm hopeful that as i work into the puck that it will return. As it was, the scent was clean and neutral.
Shave performance was excellent. It needs hydrating to bring out the (excellent) slickness. This soap has a very wide hydrating sweet spot. It is a doddle to lather up.
This soap is the most cushioning of all of the soaps i have used to date. It is amazing in that regard and it doesn't seem to get in the way of the shave like highly cushioning soaps can do. I was seriously impressed.
Slickness wise it is good on the shave and shines if you give it a good drink first. It also passes my residuals / touchups test in that a damp hand rubbed on the face after the pass provides enough slickness for touch ups.
20180628_000540.jpg

Post shave performance is again, fantastic . My skin is left soft and supple without any greasiness. Very much like MWF.

I can see why this soap is revered by the shaving veterans. It must have been even better fresh out of the box. It is my best vintage soap and my Yardleys and Cussons are in themselves excellent. You should have no qualms buying this if you get an opportunity.

The A/S was also used post shave. I'm old enough to remember my elders using this and opening the bottle brought me right back to those days. I have smelled the latest OS. Whilst it is similar to the original, it lacks the depth and character of the original. This original A/S fragrance lept out of the bottle. A beautiful, deep and rich scent. Real Quality.
Wonderful and it has staying power, lasting long into the day.

To close up, for the ~£30 i paid for it, i think it is a bit of a bargain. I have a great soap a great A/S and a lovely mug (with lid!). I'm delighted lol.

Last edited:
Very nice!:thumbup1:
I have a few mugs and some of the aftershave, but still hoping to stumble across some soap someday.

:)

Do any OS veterans agree with my findings?

I have and use vintage OS soap and AS (1954 travel set) and have found it to be a wonderful experience. I reserve it for special shaves since I have only a couple pucks/mugs and bottles of it. I recently sold one of my refill pucks; your comment about it perishing before it is used is a primary reason for parting with it.
Like you, the scent on mine is nonexistent, however, the performance is still very much retained. It brings back fond memories of standing at the sink watching my dad shave.

I have a partial puck in a mug and have been considering pulling it out, grating it and adding a bit of the AS to it to see if I can restore the scent. But the since the original formula AS is not easily available I keep hesitating.

I pretty much agree with your findings on the soap but not the after shave. I'm old enough to have used the original stuff quite a bit before it was discontinued and the NOS mugs with soap I have picked up still have the scent I remembered. It is a milder scent than the after shave but they compliment each other. On his last visit my son-in-law tried my NOS Old Spice soap one day and some Tabac two days later and thought they both performed about the same and that they were the best he had tried. For me, MWF and Tabac behave about the same but the scent is definitely different.

Until a couple of months ago I had both NOS Old Spice after shave and the new stuff. I couldn't hardly tell the difference. When I finished off the old stuff, I refilled the bottle with the new stuff. I like the old bottle much better.

I do wish that someone would make a modern version of Old Spice soap. Not just the scent, but both the scent and the character of the soap. I have tried a few, but none really measure up. Any I've tried smell too much like the after shave and doesn't quite have the lather character. Right now I have one NOS Old Spice soap in use and one in reserve. If I stumble onto another one at a reasonable price I'll grab it up too.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a tough decision whether to use these items or not. If you don't then as you say it will get tossed in the trash as an old bit of tat. I know that my step son is not interested in my possessions unless they have a motor in them. Yeah, use it and enjoy it.

Dude! That is an awesome acquisition! Certainly don't be embarrassed - I'm sure many of us, myself included, would be jumping up and down and doing cartwheels if we found something like that, or what @ccpastork shared above.

Your comments about using or not using it, and if you don't enjoy it, it would probably end up in the dump, have convinced me to break out my unopened vintage OS soap and experience for myself what you have described above, as far as lathering and shaving.
I believe this is one of the 5.5 oz pucks from the late '30s/early '40s. It will be right at home in one of the Hull Pottery OS mugs that I have. I'm looking forward to this now. I've been torn over whether to open it or not, for about the past 8 months or so. Thanks!
IMG_20171112_105250.jpg

Dude! That is an awesome acquisition! Certainly don't be embarrassed - I'm sure many of us, myself included, would be jumping up and down and doing cartwheels if we found something like that, or what @ccpastork shared above.

Your comments about using or not using it, and if you don't enjoy it, it would probably end up in the dump, have convinced me to break out my unopened vintage OS soap and experience for myself what you have described above, as far as lathering and shaving.
I believe this is one of the 5.5 oz pucks from the late '30s/early '40s. It will be right at home in one of the Hull Pottery OS mugs that I have. I'm looking forward to this now. I've been torn over whether to open it or not, for about the past 8 months or so. Thanks!
View attachment 893938

I think these pucks deserve an OS mug so its nice that you have one for it.
The old pucks are huge. Mine will last me ages lol.

Let us know how you get on!

I pretty much agree with your findings on the soap but not the after shave. I'm old enough to have used the original stuff quite a bit before it was discontinued and the NOS mugs with soap I have picked up still have the scent I remembered. It is a milder scent than the after shave but they compliment each other. On his last visit my son-in-law tried my NOS Old Spice soap one day and some Tabac two days later and thought they both performed about the same and that they were the best he had tried. For me, MWF and Tabac behave about the same but the scent is definitely different.

Until a couple of months ago I had both NOS Old Spice after shave and the new stuff. I couldn't hardly tell the difference. When I finished off the old stuff, I refilled the bottle with the new stuff. I like the old bottle much better.

I do wish that someone would make a modern version of Old Spice soap. Not just the scent, but both the scent and the character of the soap. I have tried a few, but none really measure up. Any I've tried smell too much like the after shave and doesn't quite have the lather character. Right now I have one NOS Old Spice soap in use and one in reserve. If I stumble onto another one at a reasonable price I'll grab it up too.

Me too! I have often wondered why someone hasn't figured out a way to duplicate this soap. I have read so many positive and rave reviews of it's performance. Somebody could make a killing!

I'm finishing up a puck I purchased with a mug and love it. It is a great soap. As soon as the water hits it, you can feel a dense, slick lathering forming, much like Tabac and tallow AOS. Glad to see you are using it and not saving it as a museum piece! Enjoy it!

Top Bottom