What's new

Vintage Ever Ready?

I’ve just had this come into my possession. So far I’ve learned that it needs a single edge blade (never used one before) which I’ve ordered from searching the forums here. Is this Ever Ready the same as the battery manufacturer?
It feels very heavy. Any tips from any SE users out there?

Attachments

• 16187D25-316C-4B5E-8548-19C09A93F1DD.jpeg
    16187D25-316C-4B5E-8548-19C09A93F1DD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
When shaving with it put the flat of the top against your face. That is the proper angle. Be sure you use a wet lather as if its dry the flat of the razor can stick and that is not good. They are great razors but the blades are thick, no flex, but with a few shaves you can learn to use this razor. And the blades will last longer than a DE.
JMO

BTW, be sure the tabs on both sides are not broken as that is what holds the blade in place. The edge goes under them. They get broken over the years.

When shaving with it put the flat of the top against your face. That is the proper angle. Be sure you use a wet lather as if its dry the flat of the razor can stick and that is not good. They are great razors but the blades are thick, no flex, but with a few shaves you can learn to use this razor. And the blades will last longer than a DE.
JMO

BTW, be sure the tabs on both sides are not broken as that is what holds the blade in place. The edge goes under them. They get broken over the years.
Helpful response, thank you. Looking forward to cutting myself with it.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats, that's a beauty....I have the same model and case. It cost me a pretty penny since I live in the US and I wanted a UK-made Ever-Ready. This Ever-Ready is/has no relation to the battery company. The battery manufacturer spells it EVERREADY (no spaces). Remember to go easy with pressure, and the angle (as advised) should be shallow -- that is, start with the top cap touching or close to touching your face. You'll find that you'll likely need a steeper angle (handle more towards the floor than the wall); but you'll figure it out. Also, I believe you're in the land of Connaught Shaving, which is where I get my GEM blades...even with shipping to the US, they are a good value for me.

Enjoy and please keep us posted!

Congrats, that's a beauty....I have the same model and case. It cost me a pretty penny since I live in the US and I wanted a UK-made Ever-Ready. This Ever-Ready is/has no relation to the battery company. The battery manufacturer spells it EVERREADY (no spaces). Remember to go easy with pressure, and the angle (as advised) should be shallow -- that is, start with the top cap touching or close to touching your face. You'll find that you'll likely need a steeper angle (handle more towards the floor than the wall); but you'll figure it out. Also, I believe you're in the land of Connaught Shaving, which is where I get my GEM blades...even with shipping to the US, they are a good value for me.

Enjoy and please keep us posted!
Excellent response, thank you. Floor/wall instructions are perfect for a simpleton such as myself.
If you don’t mind me asking, can you remember what you paid for it? I have no idea what they’re worth. Are they common/sought after?
And you’re spot on - Connaught is where I ordered the blades from. Knowing very little about them I tried to put a DE blade in and quickly realised that wasn’t going to work :)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Excellent response, thank you. Floor/wall instructions are perfect for a simpleton such as myself.
If you don’t mind me asking, can you remember what you paid for it? I have no idea what they’re worth. Are they common/sought after?
And you’re spot on - Connaught is where I ordered the blades from. Knowing very little about them I tried to put a DE blade in and quickly realised that wasn’t going to work :)
Sorry, I went back to the source (UK Ebay), but it was so long ago that it's no longer in my purchase history. I suspect they are quite common -- I know the American-made version of this razor is VERY commonly found.

Sorry, I went back to the source (UK Ebay), but it was so long ago that it's no longer in my purchase history. I suspect they are quite common -- I know the American-made version of this razor is VERY commonly found.
No worries. Thanks for looking. It was more out of curiosity. I’m looking forward to trying an SE. It’ll be fun adding another technique on top of the open and DE.

Well this was fun! I like it! What an incredibly noisy shave. Surprisingly good, too. It took off a significant amount of growth in one pass. I did have to open it up a couple of times to unclog it, but an enjoyable experience none the less.

JMO

This is EXCELLENT advice! Also, if you leave the blade in between shaves, double-check before you start shaving each day that the both ends of the blade are STILL under the tabs and haven't somehow slipped out.

I forgot to do that one morning, and one end of the blade had slipped past the retaining tab so the corner and about 2mm of blade were angled out on that side. I shaved a furrow down my cheek. Fortunately it didn't scar. Otherwise, I would look like I had gone to Heidelberg University and lost one of those duelling fraternity sword fights...

Top Bottom