What's new

Vintage English Leather

When I was a teen in the 80's one year for Christmas I received a huge 8oz bottle of English Leather cologne (I asked for it based on one of those little plastic samplers I had received a few years earlier). It didn't end up going with me to college and it was thrown out. Maybe I wanted to leave it in the past, I don't remember exactly why but at some point it was disposed of. Since I've been engaging in my cologne/aftershave collecting hobby I'd always wondered if I could replace that bottle somehow. I knew the stuff they were selling now wasn't the same. A visit to Sears confirmed that. So I broke down and bought a 4oz bottle of vintage EL from eBay. Since the guy was in the same city, I had my bottle in just a few days (in the original wooden box). And I have to say opening that bottle made the memories flood right back.

I like it even more than I remember, probably because I know how to apply it and appreciate it more.. It looks great next to my other current and past favorites.

English Leather was the first aftershave I started using 50 years ago when I started shaving. My older sister brought home a pretty cool guy who used the stuff, and aspiring to "coolness" I started using it myself. I wore it when dating my wife. It's still her favorite making it worth my while to still wear it, albeit less frequently. My sister ended up divorcing the really cool guy so I never wear it around her anymore. As said, aromas are memories.

I love wearing vintage English Leather. It's a wonderful scent. One of the few my wife says I smell good wearing too!

I used EL in the '70s and '80s myself. Thinking about picking up a bottle of the vintage stuff. If the label says "MEM" on it, that's the original, right? The new formulation is by "Dana"?

(Which always makes me think of Ghostbusters. "There is no Dana . . . only Zool . . ." "What a lovely singing voice you must have --!")

Received a vintage pack of MEM Co. English Leather cologne and aftershave, and tried both this morning. The aftershave was great. The cologne, while I could still whiff it for some time as I came to work . . . I'm not sure I like it any more. It's not unpleasant, but it doesn't seem to match the scent in my memory. Perhaps the scent will evolve during the day as I go about my business.

Received a vintage pack of MEM Co. English Leather cologne and aftershave, and tried both this morning. The aftershave was great. The cologne, while I could still whiff it for some time as I came to work . . . I'm not sure I like it any more. It's not unpleasant, but it doesn't seem to match the scent in my memory. Perhaps the scent will evolve during the day as I go about my business.

can you post a pic of the two?

from my experience with EL, the aftershaves were sharp and fresh, while the colognes (= "All Purpose Lotion") were musky and 'old' smell.

can you post a pic of the two?

from my experience with EL, the aftershaves were sharp and fresh, while the colognes (= "All Purpose Lotion") were musky and 'old' smell.
I'll see if I can take and post one. Your description of the cologne and aftershave are pretty much what I'm finding -- though my lady friend Miss Linda referred to the cologne when I wore it this weekend as "light," and she seemed to like it fine.

Top Bottom