What's new

Vintage Dubl Duck / Pearlduck 2-Piece Strop Help

I have a vintage strop that I received from my neighbor. It's one he inherited from his grandfather back in the mid 1970's. Since he doesn't use it, he thought I could.

Any ideas about the age and condition of this strop. It measures 2.5" x 24" total. I have some leather conditioner that I use for my boots. Is that ok for the strop?

I didn't own a strop before but I do own a vintage Anchor Brand straight razor, although I have never used it. Maybe now is the time... The razor has been restored and honed.

It depends on the condition. I would probably look toward leather conservation/restoration products myself, especially if it seems fragile. If it is still pliable and not cracking, neatsfoot oil perhaps.

It depends on the condition. I would probably look toward leather conservation/restoration products myself, especially if it seems fragile. If it is still pliable and not cracking, neatsfoot oil perhaps.

Thanks. It is completely pliable, feels smooth and has no cracks. I am not sure how the linen strop should feel.

Linen is a vegetable fiber. I would leave it alone. I think anything that would actually affect it, would only weaken it. Normally feels like stiff canvas.

ENVIRONMENTAL CHARACTERISTICS
Burns easily
Resistant to stretching
High resistance to cold
High resistance to UV damage
More resistant to fungi and mildew than cotton
High resistance to insects

Top Bottom