What's new

Vintage DE for cleaning up gotee

hello guys,

Many of you may have read my other post about being a straight razor guy so I need some guidance again. I’m looking for a vintage DE for cleaning up my sideburns , gotee, etc. what would be something nice for me to look at for just “touch ups” I want something vintage , nice looking, but mostly importantly functional for the task at hand . Also What style would be best for what I’m looking for ? Short comb, long comb, etc? Anyone have something similar they use that can share the advantages ???

TIA,

hello guys,

Many of you may have read my other post about being a straight razor guy so I need some guidance again. I’m looking for a vintage DE for cleaning up my sideburns , gotee, etc. what would be something nice for me to look at for just “touch ups” I want something vintage , nice looking, but mostly importantly functional for the task at hand . Also What style would be best for what I’m looking for ? Short comb, long comb, etc? Anyone have something similar they use that can share the advantages ???

TIA,

Please don't shoot, but an early 1930's E Type Schick injector is the perfect companion for detail work. It fits inside the nostril, but don't ask how I know......LOL@!

If you want a DE my first choice would be an OLD Type. Open comb for moving lines with ease like your straight, and a nice small head to get into tight spaces. Single Ring balances a little more head heavy and would be my choice, but there is noting wrong with a Ball End.
P1070104(rc1rs).jpg

If you want to go SE and get a little crazier a Schick C-1 Repeater is amazing. Even smaller head than an OLD. You may have to change blades with pliers though, it wont be to often if just using for cleanup.
P1070362(r1rs).jpg

If you want something a little safer around beard lines I would go with a safety bar razor. DE would be a Tech SE E type Injector.

If you want a DE my first choice would be an OLD Type. Open comb for moving lines with ease like your straight, and a nice small head to get into tight spaces. Single Ring balances a little more head heavy and would be my choice, but there is noting wrong with a Ball End. View attachment 976978
If you want to go SE and get a little crazier a Schick C-1 Repeater is amazing. Even smaller head than an OLD. You may have to change blades with pliers though, it wont be to often if just using for cleanup.
View attachment 976979
If you want something a little safer around beard lines I would go with a safety bar razor. DE would be a Tech SE E type Injector.
Nice repeater, Bro.:a14::a14::a14:

Thanks guys!! Hey troy, what is the first razor there you have pictured exactly ? I LOVE the look of that razor !!

EDIT: haha nevermind I figured out it is an OLD type , thanks

Last edited:
Earcutter,

Great idea!! However I think 1983 is too new for me, as I love the earlier pieces , But I will look around

Thin Cap Single Ring This example is from 1911. I think the thin caps ran until 1920 or so. Then they went to the thick caps. I've never tried a thick single ring, but the thick ball ends shave pretty close to the same as the thicks, to me at least.

I carefully use a Old Type with no bottom plate. My 90 year old friend suggested it. They did things like that back in the day. I use it slowly with very little pressure. I use a Derby blade in it.
IMG_20190430_202832251.jpg

Soooo I went with an OLD type and a shick e for now . I got them both from a member on here as I love to support the community . I will report back on what I think when I receive them . Very excited ! Thanks to all who chimed in!!! I’m sure there will be a bit of a learning curve from straights to DE’s but I’m not one to give up , especially when shaving in style !

Soooo I went with an OLD type and a shick e for now . I got them both from a member on here as I love to support the community . I will report back on what I think when I receive them . Very excited ! Thanks to all who chimed in!!! I’m sure there will be a bit of a learning curve from straights to DE’s but I’m not one to give up , especially when shaving in style !

Great choices!! Enjoy! :a14::a14:

All I have to say is thanks to everyone who helped me out !! I got my old type and my shick injector today and they worked out sooo very well!!! I couldn’t be happier, and I feel I finally have all the tools needed to get the absolute best shave I’ve ever experienced in my life using my straight razor / de combo .

I have a goatee. To me 3 piece razors are the best at that because of the head design. I like Gillette ball end techs in vintage razors for that task.

Glad to here you got both the OLD and an Injector, they should both serve you well for many years!

Top Bottom