What's new

Vintage Damascus razor?

Bought this last night and don't have it in hand yet. I am assuming that the pattern is just a etch on the blade because it doesn't look layered to me. Has anyone ever seen a true vintage layered Damascus razor? I know there are razors marked Damascus, but I assume that just refers to actual steel from the city of Damascus.

Here's the blade I bought.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408310363.483644.jpg

That should look cool when polished up.

I think the word 'Damascus' on vintage razors was a marketing ploy.

Would be curious to see what it would do if you would etch one of the old Damascus marked razors. Maybe someday I'll find one that's broke and try it out. Wouldn't hurt one that's not broke though either. Just darken it and kill the edge.

That should look cool when polished up.

I think the word 'Damascus' on vintage razors was a marketing ploy.

Yeah. I hope I can polish it up good without losing the etch. If not I'll clean it up a little and leave it.

Well I have been doing some reading. True Damascus steel had a really high carbon count and is not layered like today's "Damascus" steel. I always wondered why some people called it pattern welded steel and some called it Damascus. And from what I have gathered no one outside of India and western china ever figured out how to properly forge it. So unless the blades marked Damascus where forged in India it is, like we all assumed, was just a marketing ploy because the true Damascus was so fabled.

Well I have been doing some reading. True Damascus steel had a really high carbon count and is not layered like today's "Damascus" steel. I always wondered why some people called it pattern welded steel and some called it Damascus. And from what I have gathered no one outside of India and western china ever figured out how to properly forge it. So unless the blades marked Damascus where forged in India it is, like we all assumed, was just a marketing ploy because the true Damascus was so fabled.

Several makers have unlocked the secret of true Damascus steel over the past 10 years or so. Google "wootz" . Turns out is was a crucible steel with high vanadium that would precipitate the carbides and then after being folded and forged produce a similar, yet fainter pattern on the face of the finished steel akin to pattern weld Damascus. Interesting stuff.

if you really want to find out, polish up the tail in a small spot and use either ferric oxide avalible at radio shack or lemon juice and vinegar to soak a small part in then polish up the high spots and the story will be told. if you have a pattern you have Damascus. on a razor that old I wouldn't think it would be an etched pattern, the etches usually carry over the same pattern both sides, are the etches the same, pattern welded wont be.

Yeah I have made a few damsacus knives and have some ferric chloride. I might try that out. I'm not sure about the pattern yet. Don't have it in hand. I'm sure when I get it I'll be able to tell without etching it.

Well I got this today. Has me a little confused. Figured the etch would only be on the blade faces, but it's everywhere. The tang, bottom of the tang, down the whole back of the spine. I still have my doubts but someone put some work into this etch if it's not.

Doesn't really look like layers to me. Looks like the pattern is just laid on it. I am going to unpin it tonight and soak the scales. I'll see what's under the scales.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408827536.189889.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408827545.599442.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408827603.216301.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408827615.415918.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408827623.266066.jpg

Top Bottom