What's new

vintage compared to new d/e razors

It is very much up to the individual.

I prefer the vintage razors. The modern ones I have tried do not provide as good a shave as my vintage razors.
I have not tried the expensive (greatly over-priced - to me) modern razors, but in general I find they are too chunky, with a thick head profile.

The Old and New types and much more maneuverable.
I will agree with some things you say and disagree with others. You are right that most modern heads are chunky but there is an exception called GC68 or GC84, they are stainless steel for just $65 so are not overpriced as too many are. Also while OC razors generally considered to give closer shave, I found out that they are too aggressive for my sensitive skin plus require a very precise angle which is too difficult to maintain at the jaw line and below. While many SB razors, vintage and modern, do not have that issue. I enjoy both vintage and modern razors. YMMV

TTO razors tend not to be the greatest values in terms of shaving. The cardboard tucks that most of us buy aren't comparable to the plastic cartridges that Gillette and Personna used to make for loading these types of razors, in terms of convenience.

Just like canned foods predate the can opener by a number of years, so do TTO razor predate the razor dispenser packs. When the dispenser packs came out, Gillette notched the center bar.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Most razors are easily repaired. See the thread below on my Gillette Regent.

Opinions Wanted on Restoration - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/opinions-wanted-on-restoration.525927/

Theres one thing about Gillette Slims and most Fatboys no other adjustable razors I've seen has. The raised portions of the blade tray that clamp the blade to the inside of the doors when fully closed.

Slim_Blade_Support_Points.jpg

II believe that to be a main reason Slims are so smooth.

Just like canned foods predate the can opener by a number of years, so do TTO razor predate the razor dispenser packs. When the dispenser packs came out, Gillette notched the center bar.

Back in the old days, before the internet was quite as big as it is now, I used to use a vintage Superspeed with the Personna dispenser. It really is very convenient. But your blade selection is going to be extremely limited doing that now days.

Back in the old days, before the internet was quite as big as it is now, I used to use a vintage Superspeed with the Personna dispenser. It really is very convenient. But your blade selection is going to be extremely limited doing that now days.

Which is why I don't. When I shave with DE, it's TTO or three-piece, and almost all my blades are wrapped in wax paper. Again, when TTO was introduced, there were no blade dispensers. That came later. Using TTO doesn't mean you're stuck with Personna or Dorco.

I don’t understand why a blade dispenser would make a difference for razor choice. Whether I slide a feather out of a dispenser or unwrap a GSB I still put them into my razor the same way.

I don’t understand why a blade dispenser would make a difference for razor choice. Whether I slide a feather out of a dispenser or unwrap a GSB I still put them into my razor the same way.
Same here. The blade dispenser doesn't matter to me, since I use a blade bank to safely dispose of used blades anyway. Storing and unwrapping new blades isn't any harder or easier if they're in a blade dispenser or not.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

One of the marketing points for blade dispensers was you could load a blade onto a Superspeed (or similar TTO) without having to touch the blades.

While dedicated hobbyists might think it's no big deal to unwrap a blade from a cardboard tuck, I am sure back in the day of bleary-eyed salary-men in the 50's and 60's doing quick one-pass shaves, having to unwrap a blade was a step they would rather avoid.

I have a few new razors and a few vintage and they all work at removing whiskers. You just have to decide what you like to shave with. I always gravitate back to my gold plated Slim and will never get rid of it. My recent purchase of a Van Der Hagen TTO is a real decent razor for the money. I also have one of those Wilkinson Sword Classic razors(black plastic molded around some aluminum) and for a under $10 razor it does the job. Even came with tuck of my favorite blades. I started on a Merkur 34C and thought it was the cats meow of shaving after shaving with twin blade razors of sorts for 30 years. Now I don't care to use it. I have a Fatboy and it is just as nice to shave with as the Slim. Handle is just a touch shorter and chubbier. Currently using a Gillette New open comb short tooth and I like it but a little on the mild side. I have a SS but don't care for it, have it because it was made in my birth year and quarter. As said I always go back to the Slim.

So if your end goal is to remove whiskers any razor will do in my book. If you like and enjoy using the Slim over anything else if it were me I would fix it or replace it. To tell you how much I like my Slim I had one shortly after I started and when I found my current one re-plated in rose gold I jumped on it, and I thought I was off my rocker to pay what I did for it. I would still have the other one but I got my friend started in DE shaving and since it was a spare he asked if he could try it and ended up giving it to him. Another funny story is I acquired a set of razors in the auction here and in it was another Slim. Was going to keep it but my friend had gotten his son-in-law into DE shaving with a Tech and when he found out I had the extra Slim so he bought it for a Christmas present for that SIL. Almost hated parting with it but figured I didn't need two since I got the Fatboy in that lot.

+1
Yes I agree. Never noticed a difference between unwrapping and sliding out a blade.
Both end up in the razor easily.

+1
Yes I agree. Never noticed a difference between unwrapping and sliding out a blade.
Both end up in the razor easily.
I think I prefer a wrapped blade over a plastic dispenser because the wrapped blade is actually isolated.

I have a few new razors and a few vintage and they all work at removing whiskers. You just have to decide what you like to shave with. I always gravitate back to my gold plated Slim and will never get rid of it. My recent purchase of a Van Der Hagen TTO is a real decent razor for the money. I also have one of those Wilkinson Sword Classic razors(black plastic molded around some aluminum) and for a under $10 razor it does the job. Even came with tuck of my favorite blades. I started on a Merkur 34C and thought it was the cats meow of shaving after shaving with twin blade razors of sorts for 30 years. Now I don't care to use it. I have a Fatboy and it is just as nice to shave with as the Slim. Handle is just a touch shorter and chubbier. Currently using a Gillette New open comb short tooth and I like it but a little on the mild side. I have a SS but don't care for it, have it because it was made in my birth year and quarter. As said I always go back to the Slim.

So if your end goal is to remove whiskers any razor will do in my book. If you like and enjoy using the Slim over anything else if it were me I would fix it or replace it. To tell you how much I like my Slim I had one shortly after I started and when I found my current one re-plated in rose gold I jumped on it, and I thought I was off my rocker to pay what I did for it. I would still have the other one but I got my friend started in DE shaving and since it was a spare he asked if he could try it and ended up giving it to him. Another funny story is I acquired a set of razors in the auction here and in it was another Slim. Was going to keep it but my friend had gotten his son-in-law into DE shaving with a Tech and when he found out I had the extra Slim so he bought it for a Christmas present for that SIL. Almost hated parting with it but figured I didn't need two since I got the Fatboy in that lot.
i really like the slim, even tho im still getting the hang of how to use it. i think i will stick with this one and see if i can get it repaired. i like the vintage look of the razor as well.

@newwetsahver - Do you like the way your Slim shaved? If so, I would get an estimate to repair.

What is your budget?
whatever it takes to get this thing reparied and plated. this one isnt plated and i would like to get it rhodium plated or maybe gold plated. i got my gpas rhodium plated and really ilke the teh look of rhodium so maybe ill stick with rhodium

You have to go with what you like in plating. I prefer the rose gold, it makes me feel like I won the lottery using it or just seeing it sitting on the shelf. The Gillette New SC I was using recently is gold colored. It looks nice even though the top cap has some of the original plating worn off. The darker gold of it isn't as nice as the lighter color the rose gold has. I do like the looks of some of the Rhodium plated razors I have seen.

Also, glad to see you are going to try and get it fixed. You can't go wrong with the Slim.

You have to go with what you like in plating. I prefer the rose gold, it makes me feel like I won the lottery using it or just seeing it sitting on the shelf. The Gillette New SC I was using recently is gold colored. It looks nice even though the top cap has some of the original plating worn off. The darker gold of it isn't as nice as the lighter color the rose gold has. I do like the looks of some of the Rhodium plated razors I have seen.

Also, glad to see you are going to try and get it fixed. You can't go wrong with the Slim.
yea, i prefer rose gold as opposed to standard gold. i think it looks better as welwl

Top Bottom