What's new

Vintage colognes--what do you own and use regularly.

Honestly, I got some of the Mem at the tail end of an Estate Sale a few years ago for a dollar. Looked unused. Cologne, if that matters. It is a little, LITTLE bit better than today's. But seriously, it can't touch the smoothness or depth of Avon Leather I have that's almost as old as I am I think. Oland by Avon is kinda a stronger version of Avon Leather, and Avon Tribute is like a weaker version of Avon Leather to my nose. I doubt that @Ad Astra shares my opinion, but as usual when he and I disagree, I'm right and he's wrong. I'm also rubber and he's glue.

Interesting side note that everyone is tired of me saying all the time: mix in some Bergamot essential oil in with Tribute and your wife will tear the buttons off yer shirt! ONLY DO THIS IN SUMMER, AND IN A SAFE PLACE!

How long does the bergamot essential oil scent last? Some guys in the fragrance community who are into shaving discuss the halcyon days of Avon. I'm sorry I didn't realize they issued some decent stuff along with novelty bottles 30-45 years ago!
Estate sales are the places to pick up vintage bottles as you can't trust what you see on Ebay an overwhelming amount of the time,
Can you recall if there were any other men's colognes available at that estate sale? An unused bottle of Mem English Leather would go for $50 or more on Ebay.

I have two vintage - unobtainium now :
Floris Vetiver
Creed Vetiver 1948
Plus some 20+ years old Azzaro Pour Homme
Unobtainium is right, Rudy!

I am guessing you still have some vintage Creed Bois de Santal around, which to my surprise Creed seems to be making again. I have not tried any recent version. The vintage is one of my favorite scents. I own some, but I hoard it.

I have some really old Guerlain Vetiver in an edc version that is amazing, that I hoard, too. No telling how old it is. The bottle is akin to a Guerlain "bee" bottle. Nothing like any relatively recent bottle I have ever seen for a Guerlain vet.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Unobtainium is right, Rudy!

I am guessing you still have some vintage Creed Bois de Santal around, which to my surprise Creed seems to be making again. I have not tried any recent version. The vintage is one of my favorite scents. I own some, but I hoard it.

I have some really old Guerlain Vetiver in an edc version that is amazing, that I hoard, too. No telling how old it is. The bottle is akin to a Guerlain "bee" bottle. Nothing like any relatively recent bottle I have ever seen for a Guerlain vet.
You are right, I completely forgot the Creed Bois du Santal....another good scent. I sold my Floris Sandalwood to a friend here on B&B a few years ago.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
How long does the bergamot essential oil scent last? Some guys in the fragrance community who are into shaving discuss the halcyon days of Avon. I'm sorry I didn't realize they issued some decent stuff along with novelty bottles 30-45 years ago!
Estate sales are the places to pick up vintage bottles as you can't trust what you see on Ebay an overwhelming amount of the time,
Can you recall if there were any other men's colognes available at that estate sale? An unused bottle of Mem English Leather would go for $50 or more on Ebay.
The problem with lime or bergamot is it's not the longest lasting. I have some Avon Island Lime that is probably as good as anyone makes today, and it doesn't last all that long. I mixed a tiny bit of orange essential oil in it and it helped, to my nose.

I've had decent luck at Goodwill and Salvation Army for old Avon.

The absolute best is Avon Blend 7 for me. Tai Winds is next.

You are right, I completely forgot the Creed Bois du Santal....another good scent. I sold my Floris Sandalwood to a friend here on B&B a few years ago.
Both excellent sandalwood scents. Very Mysore to my nose. I wonder if the latest Creed Bois du Santal keeps that Mysore quality. I do not see how it could given the modern scarcity of real Mysore sandalwood.

How close is the current version to the Mem version? What I remember is that the Mem version was stronger and lasted longer (like all other reformulations today). It was probably smoother, too.

I really should do a side-by-side. The current is unmistakably English Leather, but lighter, greener and more soapy. I kind of hoarded some when there was a scare about it being discontinued. So I'm set for a while, especially the aftershave. I'm always looking for bargains of the MEM versions on eBay. My first big bottle of cologne when I was a teen in the 80's was the big 8 oz "All-Purpose Lotion" with the red label. I would really love to track down one of those.

I have two vintage - unobtainium now :
Floris Vetiver
Creed Vetiver 1948
Plus some 20+ years old Azzaro Pour Homme

I had a sample of the Floris Vetiver about 10 years ago when Floris was actually sending out free sample sets. I think a bunch of guys on here got the same samples (also came with Elite, No. 89, JF and Santal). That's about as unobtanium as it gets! I've seen listings in the several thousands (not sure anyone actually paid that). But yea, it was nice!

For the life of me I do not understand why a vetiver would be discontinued, or, I suppose, why it would become so dear. Sandalwood is an entirely different story, of course.

I had that sample pack! I had not remembered it having vetiver, but I got a small decant or sample somewhere. I think my sample had some aquatic in it, too. Nothing to write home about. I do not remember JF. The other scents are solid if not way better than solid. I shaved with a puck of Elite for what seemed like years. It never disappointed.

I really should do a side-by-side. The current is unmistakably English Leather, but lighter, greener and more soapy. I kind of hoarded some when there was a scare about it being discontinued. So I'm set for a while, especially the aftershave. I'm always looking for bargains of the MEM versions on eBay. My first big bottle of cologne when I was a teen in the 80's was the big 8 oz "All-Purpose Lotion" with the red label. I would really love to track down one of those.

English Leather was my high school signature scent until I graduated to Aramis in my junior year of college back the in latter part of the 1970's. That wooden box with the large bottle of English Leather was in my desk drawer for quite awhile. The shaving cream was also wonderful.

Dana didn't produce English Leather for 2 years (see the screen capture of Ebay prices below from then). They started producing again near the end of last year, I think. What I don't understand is why they make the oils in the USA and send it to China for bottling and the back to the USA for sale. That movement and change in temperatures can't help the fragrance oils. It used to mention that on the bottles. I'd like to know if the 2020 bottles state the same.

English Leather per Ebay - May 2019 (before Dana started new production):

1606954766482.png

What I paid when Target had it on sale around BF in 2016:

1606954859383.png

Have quite a few vintage scents in the den. A few I use regularly are Roman Brio, Denim (yellow), Hi Karate, Carachel, etc. Also have a set of Prince O. Russian Leather but is very floral and doesn't seem to work well with my body chemistry.

I am a huge fan of fragrances, and have a nice stash of older scents.
Aramis Havana EdT
YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
YSL Kouros
(Silver Shoulders)
Agua Lavanda Puig
Vetiver de Guerlain
Penhaligon's The Hammam

Fabergé Brut (Silver medallion)
Seaforth! Spiced Lime
Ralph Lauren Safari (Cosmair)
Yardley After Shaving Lotion
Yardley Black Label AS

Christian Dior Fahrenheit (1988)
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage EdT (Vintage)
Givenchy Gentleman EdT (Pre-reformulation)
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT ('80's)
Houbigant Duc de Vervins (original w/real oakmoss)
J.B. Williams Aqua Velva

Old Spice Lime AS (Shulton)

Old Spice (Shulton)

I own and use regularly some vintage scents. Big frag head in fact haha

Gucci Pour Homme I
Gucci Envy for men
Gucci Nobile
Original brown bottle YSL M7
Givenchy Very Irresistible for men
Last but not least Dolce & Gabbana By Man, which I also have a couple of really good clones of (PV Intrigo Devastante Intense, and Dua Fragrances Pour Homme)

Top Bottom