What's new

Vintage Colgate and The Body Shop

I recently purchased a pair of Old Spice Mugs that came with soap. Neither soap had been used. The Colgate was in a zip lock sandwich bag and The Body Shop was in the original wrapper.

I puth the Colgate in my pewter Williams bi centennial mug and thoroughly enjoyed the shave. Similar to Vintage Williams but better. It was like finding an old friend. Easy to lather and the lather was as expected, reasonable rich and smooth.

I put The Body Shop soap in the plastic cosmetic jar that my old style Fine Platinum came in. Diameter was a nice fit but the round bottom of the soap rocked around. I have lathered it up several times and didn't like how it responded at all. I'll make a few more attempts but likely I'll be tossing it.

I guess you mght call this a tale of two soaps.

I recently purchased a pair of Old Spice Mugs that came with soap. Neither soap had been used. The Colgate was in a zip lock sandwich bag and The Body Shop was in the original wrapper.

I puth the Colgate in my pewter Williams bi centennial mug and thoroughly enjoyed the shave. Similar to Vintage Williams but better. It was like finding an old friend. Easy to lather and the lather was as expected, reasonable rich and smooth.

I put The Body Shop soap in the plastic cosmetic jar that my old style Fine Platinum came in. Diameter was a nice fit but the round bottom of the soap rocked around. I have lathered it up several times and didn't like how it responded at all. I'll make a few more attempts but likely I'll be tossing it.

I guess you mght call this a tale of two soaps.

Vintage Colgate is great! Only problem is finding it!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Do you have a picture of the old Body Shop packaging? I tried using soap and brush in the early 90’s, but gave up pretty quickly due to the soap (all BS). I recall a frothy mess and no protection.

Vintage Colgate is great! Only problem is finding it!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Amen. Prior to every having tried the vintage Colgate, I came across a guy at a antique flea market with four pucks for sale and only took the 2 pucks for $6.00 versus the 4 for $10 because I didn't want to have four of something I wasn't happy with. Yeah, halfway through my first puck, I'm still kicking myself because it doesn't matter if I'm using a badger, boar, horse or synthetic brush, it makes such a nice thick, rich, creamy lather.

Vintage Colgate is terrific! I stocked up on their Barber Soap years ago, so I'm good for the long haul.
IMG_1871.JPG

Vintage Colgate is terrific! I stocked up on their Barber Soap years ago, so I'm good for the long haul. View attachment 1469482

My barber turned me on to those sleeves of Colgate Barber Shave Soap. I saw him using it in his lather machine and asked him where he bought it. Evidently it was readily available from most beauty supply shop at that time. The Barber product was better than the regular retail product and I wish I still had some.

My barber turned me on to those sleeves of Colgate Barber Shave Soap. I saw him using it in his lather machine and asked him where he bought it. Evidently it was readily available from most beauty supply shop at that time. The Barber product was better than the regular retail product and I wish I still had some.
One soap that I would really like to try is Williams Barber Shave Soap, but it's really scarce and I have never come across any in my travels. The best vintage soap that I have ever tried was Williams Genuine Yankee Shave Soap - great stuff! Yardley is another one that I can never get enough of.

Top Bottom