What's new

Vintage Clear Lucite Acrylic Octagonal Handle 22mm

Well, I have been at it again.

This one I bought about a month ago cost me £3.84 and this is how it arrived it looked like it has never been used, no smell no nothing apart from a lot of dust and I mean a lot.

So the knot was removed then a wet sanding of the handle but a tiny bit was left as it was just too deep to remove, so here are the before pictures as normal...

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Now after a good sanding polish and a new knot a 2 band badger

5.jpg
6.jpg

After its first lather to give the knot a good clean and get rid of the wet dog smell.

7.jpg
8.jpg

So another one was rescued and back into action as a working brush, or should that be a 22mm lather monster maker....

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
The acrylic looks as clear as glass. .It also gives the jet black luster. Beautiful restoration!

Would love to see more pics of the process here. Did you drill the old knot out? Use a buffing wheel on the handle? Very nice final product.

Would love to see more pics of the process here. Did you drill the old knot out? Use a buffing wheel on the handle? Very nice final product.

Yes the knot was cut down close to the base then I used a carbide bit to drill the centre, then opened it up with another carbide bit to remove the rest then used a drum sander to get to the edge without touching the black in the hole.

After hand sanding up to 8k then I used a 6-inch polishing wheel with Vonax compound to give it a high shine, But I did do a write up on another brush that I did an old spice root-beer handle that was done the same way.

Beautiful! I have been hesitant to work with acrylic because it seems like it will show everything if you aren't careful.

Top Bottom