What's new

Vintage cast iron skillet.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've seasoned a lot of cast iron, and you need to get it beyond the smoke point. Otherwise, you're doing nothing or (worse) creating a gum.

You do better to more thin layers than fewer thick layers.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Does the metal feel tacky? If so I’d strip it or at the very least wash it with a scrubber and soap. If it’s not tacky id just stick it in the oven and let it smoke.

Thanks Adam, it worked. I originally coated it with a very thin layer of Canola oil and put it in a gas oven at 350 for an hour, thinking I was supposed to stay below Canola's 400 degree smoke point. I did this 4 times. While the coating went on hard and thin and not tacky at all, the finish was just a rusty brown color and not black.

So after your advice, I put it back in the oven on 400 for 2 hours and it is now, nice and black like it's supposed to be. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I put it back in the oven on 400 for 2 hours and it is now, nice and black like it's supposed to be. :)

See? EZ;PZ. Now you got the hot ticket!

I usually just default to 425 for seasoning. Whatever oil/fat I'm using is going to be fine. I have used canola oil before, but I have used lard for decades. Every once in a while, after some years of use, I'll need to reseason a pan. Not often; I am pretty religious about cleaning them, drying them warm and laying on a thin layer of lard.

I've got one round griddle that gets used to finish tortillas, so it's hothothot. I just keep putting some lard on it after doing a batch. It smokes off and adds to the layer on the griddle already.

O.H.

Top Bottom