What's new

Vintage Brushes need re-knoting.....it has been suggested.....

Hi all,

I never planned on collecting "Shaving Brushes" (only Razors) but, you know how that goes. I've acquired about twenty nice vintage Brushes since March 2019. Most are in really good condition and can be used "as is". However, I have two Brushes that I especially love the looks however, these two need to be re-knoted. One of these Brushes I just found earlier this week and it turned out to be a very old Simpson "The Duke" with Butterscotch handle. I contacted Simpson in England regarding re-knoting. The thing is, between the cost of shipping & re-knoting, this project would not be (imho) IN-expensive. Also, I'm a bit fearful of shipping this Brush over the Pond afraid it might get lost. It has been suggested by others that I have this Brush re-knoted here (State side) in the U.S.

Part of me would LOVE to have this Brush re-knoted by the original Company (Simpson) and returned to it's former Glory however.....I just don't know. Would a "Simpson" knot be any better (quality wise) than something I might be able to acquire for repair here in the U.S. ? It has been suggested that there are several talented people here in the U.S. that are more than capable of restoring my Brushes. Two names that have been suggested are Timothy Abernathy and JR Reyes. I am seeking counsel/advice as how to go about having my two Brushes restored. Thank you for any advice/suggestion you may offer.

vintage SIMPSON "DUKE" Butterscotch handle Shaving Brush :
1590152505081.png

Oooh, my wife actually found this Brush (thank you Darling as well as the two vintage Shaving Mugs) while we were "picking" at our "Super Secret" picking location in the Wilds of Maine. In addition to the above items, I found sixteen bottles of Cologne! All items (and then some) were purchased for a grand total of ten dollars. What a day!

SixCats!

Nice handles!!

Personally, I would send the butterscotch back to Simpsons for a reknot with your choice of hair.

I would talk to Rudy Vey about the other brush. He did a great job for me with an EverReady reset with a 2-band from Shavemac! :a29:

Hi Big J, thank you for your suggestion. Truthfully, I've been thinking exactly what you suggested, that is to say, send the SIMPSON back to SIMPSON for the re-knot and have the other Brush have re-knoted
State side.

SixCats!

I would talk to Rudy Vey about the other brush. He did a great job for me with an EverReady reset with a 2-band from Shavemac!

Rudy is currently re-knotting a T&H 1/2 (Rooney-made) brush for me. Out with the, still perfectly good, Rooney 3-band knot, and in with a Shavemac 2-band. It's not the first brush he's done for me.

Top Bottom