What's new

Vintage brush storage suggestions needed

I have several old brushes that are in like new condition and have no desire to use, simply collection stuff here. None of them have the original boxes. What is a good way to store them so the bristles don’t get all wonky?

I have several old brushes that are in like new condition and have no desire to use, simply collection stuff here. None of them have the original boxes. What is a good way to store them so the bristles don’t get all wonky?
Do you want to present them or just store them? For storing I would get some twist tubes and keep them upright to preserve the shape of the knot.

Like those from Maggards
881F9E47-ADF1-4003-8400-E95870491FA6.jpeg

Something so simple. I'm sure we have something similar at work that the larger end mills come in. Completely over looked those. I want to store them for now and a probable move next summer.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I always store "surplus" brushes in the tubes I use for my brushes. Just make sure they are well dried before you store them in an enclosure of ant kind.

Do you want to present them or just store them? For storing I would get some twist tubes and keep them upright to preserve the shape of the knot.

Like those from Maggards
View attachment 1313214

McMaster Carr also sells these tubes, and for less. They are made by rose plastics if you want to try to find even more sources. Although the ones from McMaster Carr are clear or nearly so, they are also made in colors including blue and red.

If you just want to store them, I'd suggest using the cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls. These are free and were going to be thrown out anyway. You can trim the tubes to the right length. Store the brushes in the tubes and place them in a shoebox or similar container on a closet shelf.

Store in low light, 20 degrees Celsius and relative humidity of 50%. Take care to keep the temperature and humidity constant at all times. Store the brush standing up with nothing touching the handle or bristles. Under these conditions, you should be able to store the brush indefinitely. If it remains unaffected by natural or man made disasters, it should remain useable for many hundreds or even thousands of years.

Giant pyramids have proven themselves to be ineffective against looters. A hidden cave or buried tomb may be a better option to safe guard your treasure. Alternatively you could loan the brushes to one of the major museums. They have pretty good security and curators who are trained in undertaking periodic cleaning and maintenance of historically significant items.

Last edited:
Store in low light, 20 degrees Celsius and relative humidity of 50%. Take care to keep the temperature and humidity constant at all times. Store the brush standing up with nothing touching the handle or bristles. Under these conditions, you should be able to store the brush indefinitely. If it remains unaffected by natural or man made disasters, it should remain useable for many hundreds or even thousands of years...
I'm sure the archaeologists of the future will be thrilled to find such well-preserved artifacts of the ancient shaving rituals.

😁

I'm sure the archaeologists of the future will be thrilled to find such well-preserved artifacts of the ancient shaving rituals.

😁
It will be an important archeological find. Without it the people of the future will have assumed that only synthetic brushes were available. Those things will last forever.

Top Bottom