What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

Another pack of NOS Personna arrived today, I think made in England?

personna 1.jpg
Personna 2.jpg
Personna 3.jpg
Personna.jpg

Last edited:
More than likely USA by the looks just packaged for the UK. Still great blades I have a ton of Private label Personnas from the same era under Barber branding.

Thanks, not seeing a "Made in..." threw me off a bit. Either way I'm happy with them!

Bored one evening a couple of weeks ago, and with an ample supply of adult beverage nearby, I found myself sailing the ‘bay, and as a result the following turned up in my mailbox.

Assuming the beverage supply holds out, I may turn the envelopes into some sort of collage. But I’m curious if any of these are noteworthy as outstanding shavers, either exceptionally good or downright terrible. Any insights?

I’ve got a few duplicates but the only full tuck is the “Beep Beep” because I’m hoping to stop traffic with my beautiful shaves.

ADCD2081-9F98-44DC-8CA9-6D097D70F7A5.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
But I’m curious if any of these are noteworthy as outstanding shavers, either exceptionally good or downright terrible. Any insights?

The Tomac blade is supposed to be a good one. Most of the rest look like run of the mill blades. Some of them are probably carbon steel which don’t hold up to time. Anything stainless is worth shaving with... maybe... just for fun anyways. They are all cool though.

The Tomac blade is supposed to be a good one. Most of the rest look like run of the mill blades. Some of them are probably carbon steel which don’t hold up to time. Anything stainless is worth shaving with... maybe... just for fun anyways. They are all cool though.
Yeah the Tomac is the only familiar stainless that I see in that pile, the other one not sure of and from what I see the rest are carbon and not worth the risk.

Need a little. If you own or have used vintage Wilkinson blades please share what you have learned.

1) looking at my collection which Wilkie do you like the best?

2) how do they rank oldest to newest?

Each tuck has the representative on the right unwrapped.

Thank you for your vintage input.

Wilkinson.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Need a little. If you own or have used vintage Wilkinson blades please share what you have learned.

1) looking at my collection which Wilkie do you like the best?

2) how do they rank oldest to newest?

I cant really answer your questions. However, I have a good stash of vintage English Wilkies, and they are a very nice blades. I dont see any that look like Light Brigade blades in your pic, but the others all look decent. I have shaved with a variety of them, and they all give pleasant shaves. Just give them all a try and see how you like them. That is all that really matters. And for the record, I have never had a good shave from a German Wilkie. I have tried them quite a few times and have had miserable results. The English ones are all somewhat good in my experience. Others around here know way more about their history than I do. I just shave with them.

Hello men, I acquired these Vintage Gillette Stainless Steel blades about 9 or 10 months ago, and am just now getting around to investigating them. I'm wondering if these are the famous "Spoilers" of the 1960's? I tried to find a date code on the one I opened, but it only has a #3 on the right side of the blade. It almost looks as if the letter code was not fully inked or something, because only a small hash mark can be seen opposite the 3. Whatever the scoop, I see no letter for the date code on this blade, only a small Mark. I am reluctant to open a bunch of them till I get to one with a letter code, because I don't want a bunch of loose blades here. So if anyone can tell me if these are those famous "Spoilers", without the dispensers, please let me know. And I was wondering these might have been made? I can't tell, but maybe someone will see something I'm not. Here's some photos-
View attachment 560428
View attachment 560429
View attachment 560430
Have a good day men.
I just returned back from hitting antique stores in the Lancaster PA area last weekend where one purchase was a blade case to go with a 1918 set I've been trying to complete. Inside were two wrapped blades (one had already been opened) that look similar to those above with the exception that they are date coded J1 (presumptively first quarter of 1964) with the Patent # 3071856 (filed 31 Dec 1959, awarded 8 Jan 1963) dating them to a year at minimum from when the patent was approved. What struck me as odd was that on the backs, they contain the word "SAMPLE" printed in all caps and in a different font and color than the rest of the packaging. Not sure if these are pre-production samples/examples of Gillette's first PTFE/TEFLON coated blade and or just a sample of the packaging for those blades. All the dates/timelines seem to match--any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Blades 1.jpg

Blades 2.jpg

I just returned back from hitting antique stores in the Lancaster PA area last weekend where one purchase was a blade case to go with a 1918 set I've been trying to complete. Inside were two wrapped blades (one had already been opened) that look similar to those above with the exception that they are date coded J1 (presumptively first quarter of 1964) with the Patent # 3071856 (filed 31 Dec 1959, awarded 8 Jan 1963) dating them to a year at minimum from when the patent was approved. What struck me as odd was that on the backs, they contain the word "SAMPLE" printed in all caps and in a different font and color than the rest of the packaging. Not sure if these are pre-production samples/examples of Gillette's first PTFE/TEFLON coated blade and or just a sample of the packaging for those blades. All the dates/timelines seem to match--any thoughts would be much appreciated.
View attachment 1251918
View attachment 1251919
I have close to a hundred of these in pristine shape and I use them occasionally. I believe they are Gillette's first stainless steel blade offering and what you have are the wrappings for introductory sample blades. Actually Gillette introduced a stainless blade in the 1930s that were very unsuccessful and were pulled from the market after just a couple of years. I only use vintage blades and these Gillettes are maybe on my second tier.

Yeah the Tomac is the only familiar stainless that I see in that pile, the other one not sure of and from what I see the rest are carbon and not worth the risk.

i have some Fuller blades. Yes they are carbon. I tried shaving with one, and was actually pleasantly surprised. One of the very few old carbon blades that stiil was usable.

i have some Fuller blades. Yes they are carbon. I tried shaving with one, and was actually pleasantly surprised. One of the very few old carbon blades that stiil was usable.
I have many vintage carbon blades that I use. I try to make sure that they've been kept in an airtight container all these decades and are from a dry climate. The results are that I get some of my best shaves with them, especially these which compete favorably with most of my best stainless blades.
20190419_053747.jpg

Top Bottom