What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

Here's something I've never seen before. I found them at a little flea market a couple of weeks ago. They're Gillette chisel blades. Anyone have any information on them, like when they were made and how they were used?

2021-05-22 19.45.24.jpg

2021-05-22 19.45.57.jpg

2021-05-22 19.46.58.jpg

how they were used?

They look like they could be loaded into some of my larger X-Acto knife handles and used for cutting/carving/slicing handiwork.

Very cool find. In my imagination, the blade guru at Gillette, William Nickerson, took prototype razor blade manufacturing equipment that didn't work out and found another application for it. Smaller market than shaving...

Hi everyone,

After reading glowing reviews here and elsewhere, I've been slowly buying a few NOS vintage blades. I picked up a few packs of Wilkinson Swords. The cardboard insert says "5 Premium Chrome". The blades have the diagonals. The back of the tuck reads "Made in England" inside of the circle. There's a barcode on the back of the hanger so it must be at least mid-late 70s. It also has a Norcross, GA address on the back.

I've read a lot of talk about the Light Brigades and the "New" blades, but I don't think I've seen this exact pack. I'm wondering where it fits in both timeline and quality? I shaved with one this morning and it was excellent. Excited to give it some more run to see how long it lasts.

Here are pics:
Thanks!

Hi everyone,

After reading glowing reviews here and elsewhere, I've been slowly buying a few NOS vintage blades. I picked up a few packs of Wilkinson Swords. The cardboard insert says "5 Premium Chrome". The blades have the diagonals. The back of the tuck reads "Made in England" inside of the circle. There's a barcode on the back of the hanger so it must be at least mid-late 70s. It also has a Norcross, GA address on the back.

I've read a lot of talk about the Light Brigades and the "New" blades, but I don't think I've seen this exact pack. I'm wondering where it fits in both timeline and quality? I shaved with one this morning and it was excellent. Excited to give it some more run to see how long it lasts.

Here are pics:
Thanks!
These are post Light Brigades/New's, 80's-early 90's production would be a good ballpark range as the package is the early incarnation before they changed the name to just Wilkinson Sword Classic which you can still get today just no longer Made in England which production ended there in 2000. Quality wise I've found them to be some of the smoothest blades on the first few uses, almost as if there wasn't a blade in the razor at all. But they don't last as long as the earlier Light Brigades/New's...

These are post Light Brigades/New's, 80's-early 90's production would be a good ballpark range as the package is the early incarnation before they changed the name to just Wilkinson Sword Classic which you can still get today just no longer Made in England which production ended there in 2000. Quality wise I've found them to be some of the smoothest blades on the first few uses, almost as if there wasn't a blade in the razor at all. But they don't last as long as the earlier Light Brigades/New's...
Great info. Thanks!

Great..... I have over 10k blades (modern). Finally thought my blade aquision was done.
Then I stubble on this thread.
Ugh the hunt begin.
So as far as big names, what's a good place to start? Gillette thin? Gillette super stainless (spoiler), schick plus platinum? Those seem to be the easiest to find and not spending exorbitant amounts to dabble.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Great..... I have over 10k blades (modern). Finally thought my blade aquision was done.
Then I stubble on this thread.
Ugh the hunt begin.
So as far as big names, what's a good place to start? Gillette thin? Gillette super stainless (spoiler), schick plus platinum? Those seem to be the easiest to find and not spending exorbitant amounts to dabble.
Spoilers are not cheap. But plentiful and really good. I love vintage Wizamet blades. Old Brit Wilkinson Swords are good too.

Spoilers are not cheap. But plentiful and really good. I love vintage Wizamet blades. Old Brit Wilkinson Swords are good too.
Found some spoilers and some Schick plus platinum. Try those first then move on. Lol. Little expensive. Between $.80-$1 each with shipping. But just a few.

I got some Spoilers in the case with a razor about a year ago, but I don't know what shape they are in, so I'll have to try them to see "what the buzz is about." I really like English Wilkinson Sword blades and the Schick plus platinums I've tried are pretty good as are the newer Gillette Thins. Last weekend I got an unopened tuck of 10 Gillette Thin carbon blades (circa 1938) that two shaves in on the first blade have been giving smooth carbon shaves without dragging or tugging. So far the carbon hasn't had to face more than a day's growth, and I've been setting it up for success by choosing rigid razors like the LC NEW and Old Type Big Fellow. But Monday against a 3-day growth will be shave 4 on the blade, which tell the tale how long it will perform, and if it doesn't I'll swap in a new Thin as I've decided to make all OCtober DE shaves with the vintage Thins.

I got some Spoilers in the case with a razor about a year ago, but I don't know what shape they are in, so I'll have to try them to see "what the buzz is about." I really like English Wilkinson Sword blades and the Schick plus platinums I've tried are pretty good as are the newer Gillette Thins. Last weekend I got an unopened tuck of 10 Gillette Thin carbon blades (circa 1938) that two shaves in on the first blade have been giving smooth carbon shaves without dragging or tugging. So far the carbon hasn't had to face more than a day's growth, and I've been setting it up for success by choosing rigid razors like the LC NEW and Old Type Big Fellow. But Monday against a 3-day growth will be shave 4 on the blade, which tell the tale how long it will perform, and if it doesn't I'll swap in a new Thin as I've decided to make all OCtober DE shaves with the vintage Thins.
I also have some Gillette thin blades that came in a WWII plastic case with a frankenrazor. I didnt know they were carbon. They have zero rust on them.
Are all Gillette thin blades carbon?

Just received NIB NOS Gillette spoiler and Schick plus platinum to try. Those seem to be the easiest to find.
I still thinks it's crazy how many NIB are still out there. Some are gouging on price though lol.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just received NIB NOS Gillette spoiler and Schick plus platinum to try. Those seem to be the easiest to find.
I still thinks it's crazy how many NIB are still out there. Some are gouging on price though lol.
To date when I have sold any wet shaving stuff I have only sold it at reasonable reduced prices to fellow gentleman shavers, both on here and locally. For me it’s more about trying stuff, then moving it down the road for someone else to try. However I have a few things I am saving with an investment frame of mind, hoping if I hold onto them for a few more years, they will get more and more scarce, and the prices will inflate. Toggles, Psycho Techs, Hybrid Techs, sealed NOS razors, stuff like that. I know I am not going to retire off that, but I think of it as an enjoyable speculative exercise, like playing the penny stocks, etc.

I have a full shipping box with a dozen sealed NOS hang cards of Spoilers in that investment pile. I have lots more in my blade stash for consumption, but that full box of NOS hang cards is something I am going to squirrel away for potential resale way down the road. Sometimes I think it’s okay to get what the market will bear. Sometimes not. It’s a fine line, and I am always respectful when I sell anything. I always feel if the price is too high, then it’s the buyers prerogative to buy it or walk away. I still don’t really know what will happen with all that “investment” stuff, or if the market for that stuff will go up or down, but it’s a fun endeavor regardless. Some may have issue with my strategy, but that’s okay too.

Back on track…. I hope you really enjoy the spoilers! They are great blades. I enjoy one from time to time. If you like them, try to find some Personna 74’s. Mega sharp and last for dozens of shaves. Hard to find without paying through the nose. But they are out there. When you figure you’re gonna get at least 30 shaves from one blade, the cost isn’t too bad. 😎

To date when I have sold any wet shaving stuff I have only sold it at reasonable reduced prices to fellow gentleman shavers, both on here and locally. For me it’s more about trying stuff, then moving it down the road for someone else to try. However I have a few things I am saving with an investment frame of mind, hoping if I hold onto them for a few more years, they will get more and more scarce, and the prices will inflate. Toggles, Psycho Techs, Hybrid Techs, sealed NOS razors, stuff like that. I know I am not going to retire off that, but I think of it as an enjoyable speculative exercise, like playing the penny stocks, etc.

I have a full shipping box with a dozen sealed NOS hang cards of Spoilers in that investment pile. I have lots more in my blade stash for consumption, but that full box of NOS hang cards is something I am going to squirrel away for potential resale way down the road. Sometimes I think it’s okay to get what the market will bear. Sometimes not. It’s a fine line, and I am always respectful when I sell anything. I always feel if the price is too high, then it’s the buyers prerogative to buy it or walk away. I still don’t really know what will happen with all that “investment” stuff, or if the market for that stuff will go up or down, but it’s a fun endeavor regardless. Some may have issue with my strategy, but that’s okay too.

Back on track…. I hope you really enjoy the spoilers! They are great blades. I enjoy one from time to time. If you like them, try to find some Personna 74’s. Mega sharp and last for dozens of shaves. Hard to find without paying through the nose. But they are out there. When you figure you’re gonna get at least 30 shaves from one blade, the cost isn’t too bad. 😎
If you want to make a profit off of one of those hybrid techs, I’m your huckleberry. 😁

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Why not? Because of no coating?
I’m probably wrong but I think they are carbon steel. I tried one a long time ago and it wouldn’t even take care of a single sideburn. Very few carbon steel blades are worth using IMO. Which seems odd because way back then that’s bout all that was used. IDK how those old timers used these blades. Unless after 60-80 years the edge just goes to crap

Nothing a few strops can’t cure.
8E8C1198-1D03-41DA-91E5-EC0690A29D12.jpeg

12F2D92F-77CA-4961-A0FF-CAA4D41BAC54.jpeg

The stainless 7 O’clock blade in the Stropper is just for demonstration. Its the carbons that like to be stropped.

Top Bottom