What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

Yes Hannes, that's what I suffered. Without knowing anything about them, I tried to shave and failed. I didn't suffer anything but ... it doesn't cut at all. It's like there are no blades. I thought I was wrong somewhere! They sound thicker than usual and seem unfinished. It's like someone forgot to sharpen them. I thought they should be sharpened with a device before using them. How did they shave with them? Are they current blades or are they vintage?

Yes Hannes, that's what I suffered. Without knowing anything about them, I tried to shave and failed. I didn't suffer anything but ... it doesn't cut at all. It's like there are no blades. I thought I was wrong somewhere! They sound thicker than usual and seem unfinished. It's like someone forgot to sharpen them. I thought they should be sharpened with a device before using them. How did they shave with them? Are they current blades or are they vintage?
Once they were sharp but not coated so very harsh. Over the years carbon steel seems to oxidize/deteriorate and then is completely unusable.

The Tatra looks like blued carbon steel - beware Alin :c9:
Yes, very careful. I have some vintage blue carbon blades that I use but I was very careful too about finding out all I could about where and how they've been stored all these decades and get top-notched shaves from the most pristine of the bunch. But still I've had to bin a good percentage of what I've bought .

Picked up this pack of blades and piece of advertising.
20210505_071214.jpg

I checked on Barflex blades in the "Collectors Guide to American Razor Blades". It says: "...low cost razor blade manufactured by Unsinger and distributed through F.W. Woolworth stores. Blades sold five for 10 cents in 1946."

I checked on Barflex blades in the "Collectors Guide to American Razor Blades". It says: "...low cost razor blade manufactured by Unsinger and distributed through F.W. Woolworth stores. Blades sold five for 10 cents in 1946."
Rusty, where can one get this guide?

Hi Alin, unfortunately I can’t tell you anything about this blade but every thread I read about old carbon blades ends the same —> don’t use them! I tried it once with a Gillette Blue and stopped after 2 strokes, I guess a shard of pottery will give you a smoother shave...

I have also pulled a Blue Blade out from behind King C. Gillette's portrait and had a rough experience.

However, I used my magic vintage AutoStrop blade today. This one dates back to the Model C razor, before 'VALET' was punched in their blades. It shaves beautifully.
4578DA0A-C2AB-4E30-8E19-FF28318F765C.jpeg

Top Bottom