What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

I have just started to collect blades. I have lots of razors, brushes, soaps, mugs and everything else in my shaving collection, so I decided it was time to start collecting blades. Blades certainly seem to be more affordable than some of the other shaving collectibles. Question for you seasoned collectors: do you prefer single blades in their wrappers or do you prefer whole unopened tucks? Or do you prefer just the bare blades?

Late in replying again but since I don't buy them to collect but to use I've found it's better to get complete, unopened packs or dispensers that are sealed. If I was collecting for display it wouldn't matter.

I walked into my inlaws house today and was handed these. I spent some time trying to find things out about them but have come up empty. It might just be my inability to search or it might be that the search results are flooded with "Man from Mayfair" or "Royal Mayfair" for some reason. Thought I would share them here as I hadn't seen them in any prior posts. Sadly, the one I opened seems to have rusted and I am not super hopeful for the rest, but it is fun to see them.

View attachment 982228
I looked up your Mayfair blade in the "Collectors Guide to American Razor Blades" and all it says is they were made by the Mayfair Blade Co. of Elizabeth NJ. But you can see that already on your blade wrapper. No dates, no other info.

David:
Although I'm not a collecter by the real sense of the word (can I still join
proxy.php
), I do have these vintage blades in my den;

1st Row: Don Juan, Scotty and Marlin.

2nd Row: Vibro [Electric Razor Corp], Smith and Gillette (with original wrappers displayed in a 8X10 Rustic Barbed-wire Picture Frame).

shave-den-8-jpg.684535

:001_rolle And I have these blades 'put-away' somewhere;

View attachment 916559

proxy.php
“[At times, a] razor blade [can be] between gimmickry and amazement”. Richard Mille
Nice display. I've been searching for ideas on how to store and display my vintage blade collection.

Hi all
I've been asked to write an article on the history of the blade packaging. I'm looking for some information on things like printing, designers or illustrators, what era they might be from, any social history, things like that.
I've been handed a small selection as reference points - if anyone could let me know any facts that would be great please…

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
proxy.php

Got some interesting blades with the purchase of a Vintage Rocket.
Gillette Silver has patent pending on the back and the Blue Gillette is Made in Switzerland.

However the edges have deteriorated and they are not usuable anymore.

I use vintage blades exclusively. I've found they are greatly superior to modern offerings but when it comes to carbon ones there are only a few choice ones and I've learned a couple of things to improve your odds. First, make sure the cellophane or plastic wrapping is completely intact and if you can, verify the provenance which ideally would be something like " they've been stored in Tupperware in my grandfather's attic in Arizona " or some other area with very dry climate.
Otherwise carbons deteriorate and what guys experience with them now is nowhere near what men back then did.

R

romsitsa

For future reference, a Hungarian sales pamphlet of all blades produced by Ammunition factory around 1938-45.
It can be called rare as this is the first I ever saw/owned.

3B298C90-C3B7-4282-ADA1-1479E5F983EE.jpeg 192F0DE8-0F45-4049-8022-34F1A99211E5.jpeg

Adam

I'm the new owner of a 1921 Gillette Milady Decollete razor set - from the possessions of a distant relative. I've been learning a lot about it - fascinating!

Curiously, in the blade vault for that set there are 3 identical single edge blades that obviously don't fit or belong with the set. Photo attached. All 3 are new, pristine, and in their cardboard sheath. One of the 3 is also in the original plain paper wrapper. Can anyone tell me what these blades are? Any thoughts on what I can / should do with them?

Thanks for any thoughts / suggestions / wisdom.

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 15
BTW, here's more details in case it helps. The blades were with a used Gillette two sided blade fitting the Milady razor with the code 430 - presumably dating that blade to July 1924. And the owner of the Milady set was from Texas USA.

Thanks again in advance.

first, congrats on getting a nice old razor that comes with a context you can relate too. Family heirlooms doesn't seem to be much of a thing these days, but you have one there.

About the blades, I feel like I've seen that form before, but I can't place it. Maybe somebody in the SE forum would know?

As to what to do with them, start a vintage blade collection! :)

-jim

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
To all who collects vintage blades:

Top Bottom