What's new

Vintage Avon find

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Please excuse the fact that this is not an aftershave. Just arrived, an unused boxed Avon 'Todays Man' shaving soap in a bowl. Has anyone heard of this scent? Is there a matching aftershave? The soap smells a bit like MWF, there is no ingredient list but I assume it is tallow based. It looks 1970s to me.

20210519_150901.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Please excuse the fact that this is not an aftershave. Just arrived, an unused boxed Avon 'Todays Man' shaving soap in a bowl. Has anyone heard of this scent? Is there a matching aftershave? The soap smells a bit like MWF, there is no ingredient list but I assume it is tallow based. It looks 1970s to me.

View attachment 1268981

Very interesting. I had no idea Avon made a shaving soap. I wonder where it was made? Do you plan on using it?

EclipseRedRing

Very interesting. I had no idea Avon made a shaving soap. I wonder where it was made? Do you plan on using it?
There is nothing on the soap, the bowl, or the box to indicate where or when it was made. I will try it soon, probably by scraping a bit of the soap from the underside of the puck so as to leave the embossed top intact. I have never heard of this scent and cannot find any information online. You've got to love Avon - there is always something new to find 👍

Edit - this advert is dated 1977 and is in Portuguese:

TM.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, emwolf.

But that's how it goes sometimes in the world of vintage purchases. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

EclipseRedRing

There is nothing on the soap, the bowl, or the box to indicate where or when it was made. I will try it soon, probably by scraping a bit of the soap from the underside of the puck so as to leave the embossed top intact. I have never heard of this scent and cannot find any information online. You've got to love Avon - there is always something new to find 👍

Edit - this advert is dated 1977 and is in Portuguese:

View attachment 1268995
I used the Todays Man soap today and lathered from the underside of the puck. A little soap produced a lot of very nice lather but there is no scent whatsoever. The performance is enough for me to recommend this soap if you find one.

Very nice pair of bottles. Also like the font of the "Windjammer".

How is the cologne? Stronger, longer lasting, or is it a little different scent?

EclipseRedRing

Very nice pair of bottles. Also like the font of the "Windjammer".

How is the cologne? Stronger, longer lasting, or is it a little different scent?
The cologne is the same scent but way stronger and longer lasting and is fairly common in the UK but normally in novelty bottles. This or Wild Country are my favourite Avon scents, a matching shave soap would be awesome. I am not sure if the aftershave bottle ever had a ring on top but they sure do look nice together.

Picked up an Avon mug and brush at an antique store. I'm pretty certain it's never been used, but would still need to be re-knotted if it's to be used now.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Recently got Lo-Haiku, the PAA knockoff of Hai Karate.

If it's accurate - and their stuff usually is - it is very close to Avon Tai Winds.

So, anybody: is Tai Winds a clone/copy/tribute of Hai Karate?

Obviously, they all smell great!

AA

Top Bottom