What's new

Vintage Avon find

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In order to not allow my Avon collection to get too large I only purchase Avon scents in cologne form. I seek out the original non novelty bottles which can be the hardest to find in my experience. I also limit myself to scents released no later than the 1970s. If I find cologne in a novelty bottle then I may purchase it purely to decant into the regular bottle when required. I have never paid more than £15 for a full boxed bottle but that would be an exception.

I've only had WC and (now) Oland as colognes, and they were both different from the A/S versions. So, some of the other Avon's that didn't appeal to me as splashes might actually be acceptable if I found them in the cologne version. Will have to keep an eye out.

I went back. Not even sure why. Regardless I feel like the peer pressure around here is intense.

I also think I will go poking around a few antique stores now that I can add these danged Avon bottles to my vintage shaving collection.

As I said before, you are enablers.

:)

I don't even know what I bought.

The top three are all over half full. The empty bottle I will clean up and try decant something in it. Florida Water maybe?

KM

IMG_20200705_124142.jpg
IMG_20200705_124137.jpg

Liking the bottom bottle!

I once found an old whiskey bottle that I thought was cool, and now use it for storage. Here it is with a batch of DIY lime splash.
IMG_5800.JPG

For a while there I was grabbing Avon decanters even if they only had a little juice in them. When I got home, I'd add them to the corresponding bottle I had in storage. Once I had a signature bottle - and then one of the apothecary (8 oz) bottles full of a scent - I considered that one done and watched for others. Now I only grab full decanters.

You are doing what I would like to do.

My concern is what if the person I purchased these from is just filling them with Old Spice or Brut or whatever. I wouldn't really know the difference as I haven't ever used those or any Avon stuff.

They were probably on the up and up as they weren't full. Just something I though about. I only paid a buck a piece so I am not out much at all.

The Tai Winds is the only one I might consider to try this summer yet. The others are pretty "heavy" scents and made my wife not the happiest. She likes lighter scents and thinks some I have are "old man smell". Example would be Clubman Special Reserve.

KM

That is a concern when you're new to vintage Avon. When I started about 4 years ago I only bought full bottles from approved vendors. Plus I sniffed alot of bottles I found while going about life. Eventually you get your nose trained so if you pick up a bottle without the label - a very common occurrence - you'll be able to tell be smell what variety it is.
Or if it's "gone bad".

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree, after a while you get to know when the scent is right. There is no mistaking Spicy, Wild Country, Windjammer, and Oland for example. Avon is so cheap that there is little to be lost if you are sold a duff one from the bay, likewise there is little to be gained by filling a bottle with new drugstore scents since they probably cost as much as the Avon will sell for. That gives me some confidence I am not being cheated. There have been some that I have only found once so do not really know if they are correct, such as Wild Spice and 'Cologne For Men' and some of the scents on these threads do not appear to have ever been released in the UK.

One scent that I bought sight unseen (as it were) was Blue Blazer. I found a bottle on a website, nice rectangular deep blue glass that was almost full of BB. So I ordered it.
It was OK, very rosey to my nose. Finally used it up and ended up keeping the bottle because it was just so nice. Don't know what I will end up doing with the decanter.

Avon experts, I need some info:

which aftershaves can be found in the safety razor bottle:

il_570xN.1424642128_qo7b.jpg

I know Spicy is a possibility... what else?

OK, so now I know it's "Sure Winner" because I smelled it, and it certainly isn't Spicy. The scent wasn't anything I was familiar with (I can recognize Wild Country, Spicy, Oland, Leather, Tai Winds, and probably Everest and Tribute). It was vaguely similar to Everest, sort of "green" but... not quite. There are no reviews of "Sure Winner" scent online that I can find.

Nice find!

I've never tried the Avon Musk. (I did find and use Avon Light Musk in the VW bottle - stuff was way too 20-something for me). I like the new AV Musk and have a vintage bottle of Coty Musk that is just great.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I went back. Not even sure why. Regardless I feel like the peer pressure around here is intense.

I also think I will go poking around a few antique stores now that I can add these danged Avon bottles to my vintage shaving collection.

I don't even know what I bought.

The top three are all over half full. The empty bottle I will clean up and try decant something in it. Florida Water maybe?

KM

View attachment 1122072View attachment 1122073

Nice! I don't have Lincoln, but do have GW and TJ.

I do keep Florida Water- with a few drops of glycerin, as an aftershave- in an Avon bottle. - the Indian Cent.

AA

Yeah, the gents here are nice but are no help with "scent crack"! :oops:

Here's a car bottle that I got recently, full of Oland. The silver paint was starting to peel, so I transferred the Oland to a spare bottle while I worked on stripping the silver paint off. After much work I got it all off, and transferred the Oland back into the bottle. I think it looks better without the glitter - and you can actually tell how full the bottle is at all times!
IMG_7436.JPG

IMG_7438.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7437.JPG
    IMG_7437.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, the gents here are nice but are no help with "scent crack"! :oops:

Here's a car bottle that I got recently, full of Oland. The silver paint was starting to peel, so I transferred the Oland to a spare bottle while I worked on stripping the silver paint off. After much work I got it all off, and transferred the Oland back into the bottle. I think it looks better without the glitter - and you can actually tell how full the bottle is at all times!
View attachment 1126817

View attachment 1126820

Nice!

I would say, Oland is the best.

Then I'd remember Deep Woods is the best ... Until it occurs to me Tai Winds is the best ...

Avon. Avon is the best!

AA

Top Bottom