What's new

Vintage Avon find

My vintage Avon find of the day includes these gems at my 3rd Goodwill store, "The Pawn ll" chess set. The dark bottle is about 25% full of pre-electric shave, and the silver bottle is filled with hair/scalp protein treatment. The oil still has a very strong, woodsy masculine scent, I'm guessing Deep Woods or Wild Country? Some quick research and a comment on FB dates these to around 1977. Only the silver bottle has a box, but both are in excellent condition.
View attachment 1057366
my brother's ex-wife was an Avon dealer and he had the entire chess set. She also crocheted a proper sized chess board (which was huge). The final alteration he made was to switch all the tops so the pieces were all silver or amber. I'm not sure Avon's concept of having the different colors on each piece.

my brother's ex-wife was an Avon dealer and he had the entire chess set. She also crocheted a proper sized chess board (which was huge). The final alteration he made was to switch all the tops so the pieces were all silver or amber. I'm not sure Avon's concept of having the different colors on each piece.
How does Deep Woods compare to Pinaud Whiskey Wood?

Just in yesterday...hadn't ever tried Wild Country or Leather, but I like them both. Maybe Leather just a touch more. Leather is in one "horn" and Wild Country in the other.
1580846674143.png

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The "Bracing Lotion" is fairly generic Avon - but hard to find! Bit like Oland and Excalibur.

AA

I thought the Sports Rally smelled very similar to Everest to me. I like it. They had several bottles of Tai Winds, I bought one. Several bottles of Oland, but I didn’t get any as I already have a lifetime supply of Tai Winds, Oland and Wild Country, so I picked up just one of each of the WC and Tai Winds.

The had four bottles each of Blend 7 and Island Lime. I don’t like Blend 7, but I picked up all four bottles of the Island Lime. They only had one Excalibur so I grabbed it. First time experience with Excalibur, but I like the scent from the bottle.

Tribute is an ok scent, but not a favorite. They had two bottles, so I just grabbed one.

OkieStubble

Great score!

Never heard of "Sports Rally". What's it like?

First time for me also. Smell from the bottle was great, very masculine scent. I have been trying to minimize an aftershave collection of over 150 modern and vintage aftershaves.

Hard to do when you find vintage Avon for $2.99 a box. :)

First time for me also. Smell from the bottle was great, very masculine scent. I have been trying to minimize an aftershave collection of over 150 modern and vintage aftershaves.

Hard to do when you find vintage Avon for $2.99 a box. :)
I would have done like you, fill in with backups and loading up on the goodies like Island Lime. $2.99 a bottle? Well done. Wish me good luck on finding anything this week. Gonna visit the two thrift places, a consignment place and a few of the myriad of antique shops locally. If I could pull in some Island Lime, Spicy, Brisk Spicy, Deep Woods, and Everest, I would be pleased.

OkieStubble

I would have done like you, fill in with backups and loading up on the goodies like Island Lime. $2.99 a bottle? Well done. Wish me good luck on finding anything this week. Gonna visit the two thrift places, a consignment place and a few of the myriad of antique shops locally. If I could pull in some Island Lime, Spicy, Brisk Spicy, Deep Woods, and Everest, I would be pleased.

Yeah, Forrest Gump would say; " Searching for Vintage Avon in the wild is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

Over the years, most of my vintage aftershave purchases, have been from finding them in the wild. I own a several lifetime's supply of vintage Shulton Old Spice, so I never cared to obtain any Avon Spicy. And I have never once seen Brisk Spicy in the wild. I have a lifetime supply of Deep Woods from finding it in the wild along with Wild Country. Tai Winds and several others.

But until my find the other day, I have only ever found and purchased a single bottle of Island Lime from ebay, just to see what all the hub bub was about. I like it fine enough, to warrant the purchase and keep the four bottles of it I found, But to be honest I would pick Old Spice Lime and my Bootlegger's Lime over Avon Island Lime any day, which both of those, I also have a lifetime supply of.

Everest as you mentioned is probably my most favorite Avon, It is the only one I would buy online or wherever, to keep in stock.

Apparently, I'm not alone! - A couple years back, I scored a collection of assorted Avon decanters on eBay for like $18 or so shipped. Included several chess pieces, a couple of cars, locomotive, rail-road light, a turkey, hunting dog, fire-alarm box (2), and several others. It was a nice mix of Spicy, O'Lander, Deep Woods, and Wild Country, all totally full.

There were also 3-4 woman's perfumes, including a bath oil filled I want to say Cinderella carriage. Resold some of the woman's in better shape off, as my wife wasn't a fan of scents, and recouped some of the cost. Still have one or two, that came stained, making them difficult to sell on eBay.

I re-task the bottles as I empty them with some home-brew stuff. I found a liter of Old-Spice scent oil, which smells really good and like the original Old-Spice, so I mix up some of my own, or doctor the dollar store stuff with a few drops, plus some glycerin for healthier skin.

Top Bottom