What's new

Vintage Avon find

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have two of those Skylarks, one with Clint and one with Everest. I put the stickers on the Everest and left the Clint ones still on the card. I use the one with stickers for shave of the day pics of either. Probably eventually put stickers on the other car once the one starts falling off. As far as the boxes being wrong boxes my guess is they probably were taken out and got mixed up at some point in there life. Maybe even back wen they were still being sold as new, or maybe even at the antique shop you bought them from.

I was just glad to get Clint AS! But yeah; cannot trust the box.

I don't even think you can trust the bottle - one ALPHA Team member found water in one!

The lady that rang it up doubted the contents were good after all this time.

Told her I used it every day!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Picture a time-traveler, returning to 1970 ... telling the Avon Lady:

"In the year 2019, your products will be highly prized, and sought-after by shaving connoisseurs."

"THIS old junk?! My husband hates it!"

AA

Yes, I got the plastic wooden duck organizer that came with Wild Country soap, aftershave and cologne. The cologne is like nothing else.

I've taken it a step further, these colognes really shine with a good atomizer.

olandwc.JPG

Vintage Oland and Wild Country colognes.

All right. Today's Avon score looks like ...

full

Boot with Leather. 1953 Buick Skylark - box marked Windjammer - actually contains the more-rare Clint! (Which smells great!) Empty First Edition Bay Rum book, to be refilled (.60, BTW). The Avon Open Golf Cart has 5 oz. Wild Country - worth a buck to me. Straight Eight has - buckle your seat belts - Island Lime, full! (That box was also marked Windjammer, so it goes to show - gotta check those boxes.

full

EDIT: Thought I had picked up a Spicy car. OK, will go back tomorrow … sick, sick, sick. But smelling great.

EDIT 2: There was another Boot for a buck - also worth going back for. It's cologne, not AS ...

AA

That Leather Cologne is the find of the lot! I rarely see that one anywhere.. I love the aftershave, but would love to get my hands on some of the cologne too. (It was even compared to Creed Royal English Leather at least once on Basenotes..)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That Leather Cologne is the find of the lot! I rarely see that one anywhere.. I love the aftershave, but would love to get my hands on some of the cologne too. (It was even compared to Creed Royal English Leather at least once on Basenotes..)

GREAT to know!

I went back today for the second Boot ... alas, it was empty!

Scored the CB microphone and Indian penny, both empty ... but for .35!

Bulldog pipe - I don't know why - and *another* 31 Bus, with Spicy and Wild Country.

So yeah, we're going to be filling up a swimming pool with the stuff.

AA

GREAT to know!
I went back today for the second Boot ... alas, it was empty!
Scored the CB microphone and Indian penny, both empty ... but for .35!
Bulldog pipe - I don't know why - and *another* 31 Bus, with Spicy and Wild Country.
So yeah, we're going to be filling up a swimming pool with the stuff.
AA

I like that Bulldog.. I think the white glass looks really nice once you clean it up.
Plus it's one of those that's really easy to use right out of the decanter.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I like that Bulldog.. I think the white glass looks really nice once you clean it up.
Plus it's one of those that's really easy to use right out of the decanter.

Agree it's one of the classic pieces; the cars don't mean much to me particularly. All are iconic.

This is turning into a darn treasure hunt ... what's next? the totem pole?

Yes. Yes, it is!

AA

I have yet to find Original, Vigorate, Brisk Spice, and Bay Rum.
Blue Blazer was a hard one to track down. It wears on you. Has a distinctive rose component to me. And I just found some Deep Woods which - on second test - I actually liked.

I'll be selling a bunch of bottles in a month or two. Cars, specialty, distinctive ones I found at estate sales. So keep an eye out.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saturday, so. Flea market, just to check ...

Another Spartan-head of Tribute cologne.

Another full Boot of Leather cologne.

Ugly blue VW Jetta, but full of Light Musk? Don't know that one yet.

Thomas Jefferson head full of Everest.

Beer barrel of WC. She had three more of those...

Horse head full of ... maybe Windjammer. Not WC!

Then the mail came with the 1981 Bay Rum ...and that seems to live up to its legendary status ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh. She had the guitar ... About three Oland Liberty Bells ... About five NBA trophy's, all with WC ... zillios of chess pieces...

AA

I didn't like the Light Musk. Smelled "20-something" to me.

And I've heard around here that the 1981 anniversary Bay Rum was different from the original BR, being more of a vanilla scent. You'll have to give us your take.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

And I've heard around here that the 1981 anniversary Bay Rum was different from the original BR, being more of a vanilla scent. You'll have to give us your take.

I'll try it today. It smells like the pimentosa (whatever) leaf itself. Good as I'm not a vanilla fan.

Also ordered the Avon collectors book. $4/683 pages seems like as good a deal as the stuff itself! The book is widely available, too!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Yes - the light musk smells like sweat! First one I'm really not sure about (though I remember those ugly cars. Surprised Avon didn't make a Pacer or Gremlin filled with Wild Country. Anyways).

The 1981 Bay Rum is very nice, even excellent. No vanilla, a slight cooling effect. Ingredient list is strange to me ... Bottle never lost a drop, as it is a plastic gasket pull stopper.

Smells purely of the bay rum leaf, and is less complex than Bootleggers Bay Rum, my current go-to.

Bottom line: excellent bay rum, but not worth paying a lot for.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
New Avon scores:

full

The Classic Book. Was empty, now filled with Bootleggers Bay Rum.

"But what about the AVON Bay Rum?"

Got that, too.

full

Annnnnnd a bottle of Brisk Spice, too.

But the coolest dang thing is the Totem Pole (Spicy, full)

full

Keeping company with Timeless Ti68/Rooskie handle, Lisa's Natural Patchouli soap, a Spartan-head of Tribute cologne, and a Indian Penny.

full

AA

Yes - the light musk smells like sweat! First one I'm really not sure about (though I remember those ugly cars. Surprised Avon didn't make a Pacer or Gremlin filled with Wild Country. Anyways).

The 1981 Bay Rum is very nice, even excellent. No vanilla, a slight cooling effect. Ingredient list is strange to me ... Bottle never lost a drop, as it is a plastic gasket pull stopper.

Smells purely of the bay rum leaf, and is less complex than Bootleggers Bay Rum, my current go-to.

Bottom line: excellent bay rum, but not worth paying a lot for.

AA

I used to work with this 21 year old guy, mister cool stud. Wore this fragrance, and when i sniffed the Light Musk, it reminded me of him! So, I passed it on.

Found an Avon pirates jug with a small amount of bay rum still in it - smelled just like my homebrew of Sup 70 and Avon Tribute. Which I love. But I've gotten lazy since my blend ran out, and now just use straight Superior 70.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I used to work with this 21 year old guy, mister cool stud. Wore this fragrance, and when i sniffed the Light Musk, it reminded me of him! So, I passed it on.

Found an Avon pirates jug with a small amount of bay rum still in it - smelled just like my homebrew of Sup 70 and Avon Tribute. Which I love. But I've gotten lazy since my blend ran out, and now just use straight Superior 70.

Yes; some scents = the person. Forever! For me, it's an old GF. :001_unsur Anyways.

That funky Jetta is one of the few Avon cars I "like." Ugly, but I remember so many of them on the road!

I have not tried straight Sup 70, but have it for the Bootleggers.

I also got the whale teeth decanters from the "whale set." Did NOT want that giant plastic whale!

AA

Top Bottom