What's new

Vintage Avon find

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_8791.jpeg
IMG_8792.jpeg

Picked this up at a local Op shop for a whole $2.00. Still wrapped in a plastic sleeve, Avon Black Suede Touch Aftershave Conditioner. I used to love this stuff many years ago.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Friend @ajkel64 : I am far from an Avon historian, but I don't remember that product sold in the US.....

Some of my favorite memories as a very young boy was the wunnerful Christian "Avon Lady" that visited my mother every month. The smell of fresh coffee perking on the stove, mingling with all of her latest offerings! Oh, what a great life I have lived.

Legion

Staff member
I found this interesting looking bottle in a thrift store yesterday. It's too big to be for aftershave or perfume, but does anybody have an idea what it might have contained when new?

IMG_7715.jpeg
IMG_7716.jpeg

FarmerTan

You are a blessed man!
Amen my friend. You honestly will never meet or hear of anyone as blessed as the Tanned ungentlemanly Farmer.

My Mom has (to the best of my knowledge) been declared to be pretty sound post surgery for her partial hip replacement! A little bit of hard days of rehab are ahead for her. Pray she gets good rehab and fights as hard as she and God decides to. She's a strong woman, but hip fractures require lots of prayer and fight in my professional experience. Praise the Lord she is a "hard-headed hillbilly" to quote me late great Da!

Came across a 1981 bottle of Bay Rum for $5. 😁

I heard this anniversary release from Avon didn’t have the same magic as the 60’s original, and I Always wanted to see how far it had fallen but eBay prices were never justifiable to me.

A sniff from the bottle while in the store smelled very much like the original to my nose so I grabbed it. It’s also very easy on the eyes and I have an addiction, what can I say?

Just splashed some on now and time will tell if anything changed as far as lasting power but for now, I have to say, it’s not bad at all and is much more like the original than I expected.

1702747268080.jpeg

FarmerTan

I heard this anniversary release from Avon didn’t have the same magic as the 60’s original, and I Always wanted to see how far it had fallen but eBay prices were never justifiable to me.

A sniff from the bottle while in the store smelled very much like the original to my nose so I grabbed it. It’s also very easy on the eyes and I have an addiction, what can I say?

Just splashed some on now and time will tell if anything changed as far as lasting power but for now, I have to say, it’s not bad at all and is much more like the original than I expected.

View attachment 1764969
I've never tried that "new" one either, but if I ever find one "in the wild" I will most certainly bag it! Thank you for the review my friend!

Avon's Bay Rum has never been accused of lasting for a long time, but the 1981 "reformulation" while very similar in scent, is even more fleeting. Having said that, I'll maintain that it's not as bad as I expected.

FarmerTan

Avon's Bay Rum has never been accused of lasting for a long time, but the 1981 "reformulation" while very similar in scent, is even more fleeting. Having said that, I'll maintain that it's not as bad as I expected.
So I need to save my money for the original from the early 1960s it seems!

It is some really nice stuff.

View attachment 1764969
Great find. The bottle alone is well worth the cost.

Top Bottom