What's new

Vintage Atra vs Atra Plus (USA) Cartridges

With the exception of my super aggressive/efficient DEs with Feather blades - R41, Ikon Tech, CG Level 3 - I can get as close a shave with the Fusion, Harrys, Sensor, Atra as with any of my DEs. That means a BBS or near BBS. The really close DEs however require a degree of meticulous attention and risk of irritation and blood that makes them a chore to use most days.

I’m using what is known as the Gillette Atra “deluxe” its a heavy solid brass razor with nickel plating . I’ve barely seen any on eBay but managed to snag one a couple weeks ago because the seller took terrible pics but I was able to recognize and take a risk . Got it for under $15 . Downright bargain .
It’s made by Gillette .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got the 1972 Trac-II Deluxe. It's heavy brass with gold plating and it came with a nice case. I'll dig it out of my shaving stash drawer and post a pic of it here in a bit.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I've got the 1972 Trac-II Deluxe. It's heavy brass with gold plating and it came with a nice case. I'll dig it out of my shaving stash drawer and post a pic of it here in a bit.

Clayton

I was mentioning the ATRA "deluxe" which we can't really confirm as authentic or a frankenAtra.
The Trac II deluxe is definitely authentic and i have one also.

To the OP’s question - Atra Plus are as good as Atras. I prefer the Plus for its glide, but not by much.

For most of my life, I used them. Love the pivoting head. I started with the free box of stuff from Gillette when I got to college. I also stuck with the Afta aftershave from the same free box. My recollection is that the Atra brand carts would last me a month of daily shaves. I never had much luck with the off-brand carts.

As the Atras became expensive, every few years I’d go buy 100 cheaper on eBay. Last batch was from an old barber shop.

Last time I went looking online - 5 years ago - I found some shaving forums where guys were going old school shaving. I jumped in and never looked back.
And down the rabbit hole you went just like the rest of us. So much for it being inexpensive. It's been fun though.

Clayton

To the OP’s question - Atra Plus are as good as Atras. I prefer the Plus for its glide, but not by much.

For most of my life, I used them. Love the pivoting head. I started with the free box of stuff from Gillette when I got to college. I also stuck with the Afta aftershave from the same free box. My recollection is that the Atra brand carts would last me a month of daily shaves. I never had much luck with the off-brand carts.

Wow a month of daily shaves? Do you have a light beard? My stubble has the tensile strength that rivals steel. I haven't tested the vintage atra carts yet but vintage trac ii carts lasted 8 shaves before starting to feel tuggy.

To be honest so long as they last for 6 good shaves (I shave 5 or 6 days per week) then i'm happy.

There are still lots of vintage Trac II and Atra compatible carts on eBay. There are some nice Wilkinson carts from the 80's.

There are still lots of vintage Trac II and Atra compatible carts on eBay. There are some nice Wilkinson carts from the 80's.
Ive picked up a nice stash of vintage Gillette Trac II and Atra carts. Also some wilkinson (made in USA) carts but finding Made in UK wilkinson carts at decents prices here in the states is very difficult.

Top Bottom