What's new

Vintage Aqua Velva - replacement cap suggestions?

I scrounged this vintage Aqua Velva bottle today.

Bottom is marked "USA JBW CO 7OZ"

I'd like to decant some AV into this, but I need a replacement cap.

This is a 7oz bottle, and I'm wondering if anyone with experience could tell me if the cap from the currently available AV might fit.

If not, are there any recommendations for how I can cap this bottle?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

1670004802296-png.1565860

1670005026647.png

1670005090959.png

Attachments

• 1670004802296.png
    1670004802296.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 346
First thing I try is the cap from the new bottle. I just tried the cap from a new plastic AV bottle on my vintage glass AV bottle and it is too big. It fits on the vintage bottle, but is loose and won't engage the bottle threads. I suppose it *might* help slow down evaporation, but definitely won't seal or prevent spills.

Other than buying another vintage bottle with a cap, you will just have to try and find a cap that happens to fit. I've gotten lucky and found some metal caps on new bottles that happen to fit two of my vintage bottles.

Good luck.

20221202_134742.jpg

No, it is a vintage bottle that contained a version of lilac vegetal, but not Clubman. The label was legible but too damaged to salvage so I removed it.

Here's a pic of the bottle between its Pinaud cousins. They are the same shape and size.

20221202_212157.jpg

I scrounged this vintage Aqua Velva bottle today.

Bottom is marked "USA JBW CO 7OZ"

I'd like to decant some AV into this, but I need a replacement cap.

This is a 7oz bottle, and I'm wondering if anyone with experience could tell me if the cap from the currently available AV might fit.

If not, are there any recommendations for how I can cap this bottle?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

1670004802296-png.1565860

View attachment 1565862
View attachment 1565864

the spanish version cap will fit, but now the spanish AV is hard to find.
you might be just as well off using the current usa retail store stuff.
either way, nice aftershave, you'll enjoy!

av old new.jpg

No, it is a vintage bottle that contained a version of lilac vegetal, but not Clubman. The label was legible but too damaged to salvage so I removed it.

Here's a pic of the bottle between its Pinaud cousins. They are the same shape and size.

View attachment 1566056
These are looking good. Nice solution for the other caps too!!

View attachment 1568261

Nice tip, I did see a post about these from a few years back, but haven't started looking for them yet.

Thanks!

These are looking good. Nice solution for the other caps too!!

Those are vinyl screw caps. Credit for the idea goes to Scott (@Captain Pre-Capsize) of Captain's Choice.

Caps for that style bottle are impossible to find - at least for me.

View attachment 1568261

That is great. My vintage AV bottle has a black cap. I think I like the blue better.

20220917_201613.jpg

***UPDATE***

I finally got around to picking up a bottle of Aqua Velva and while the cap from the new bottle was the correct diameter, and threads, it was much too tall for the threads to work on this vintage glass bottle.

So I sanded it down using an orbital sander and once I reached the right height/depth, it screwed right on.

So while not technically "period correct", here is my psuedo-vintage AQIB bottle.

All in for $6.50

Thanks for the advice folks!

1673893519259.png

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
***UPDATE***

I finally got around to picking up a bottle of Aqua Velva and while the cap from the new bottle was the correct diameter, and threads, it was much too tall for the threads to work on this vintage glass bottle.

So I sanded it down using an orbital sander and once I reached the right height/depth, it screwed right on.

So while not technically "period correct", here is my psuedo-vintage AQIB bottle.

All in for $6.50

Thanks for the advice folks!

View attachment 1589211

Still looks pretty darn smashing to me! :)

What do you have in the Avon Apothecary bottles in the background?

That one's empty at present.

I've gotta get a bottle of Citrus Musk sometime before spring for a batch of ... you guessed it ... Lime Bay Rum!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
That one's empty at present.

I've gotta get a bottle of Citrus Musk sometime before spring for a batch of ... you guessed it ... Lime Bay Rum!
You’re gonna love the Lime Bay Rum! :)

In fact, I have a bottle of it that’s been aging for 2 years. Can’t wait to crack it open this spring! :)

I'm looking forward to it for sure!

Plenty of Bay Rum currently melding in dark corners throughout my spare room, so I'll combine the Citrus Musk at some point...

Since this is my thread, I can get a little off topic, so here goes...

What I've got out currently.

1673922144407.png

1st row L to R:
- Avon Apothecary bottle - Will be Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
- Royall Lyme - I bought an 8oz bottle on Facebook Marketplace, still packaged for $20 and the guy gave me this bottle for free
- Skin Bracer - $11 shipped on Ebay. This came in the box with the Talc from the 100th Anniversary set 1978
- Pinaud Eau de Quinine bottle (still has the label on the reverse) - filled with Clubman
- Old Spice - The Shulton juice - Accept no substitutes
- PAA - Atomic Age Bay Rum
- St John's Bay Rum - I got this 8oz bottle for only $32 because the gold cap was dented & bent. I called St Johns and they sent me this replacement cap for free.
1673923103444.png

2nd row L to R:
- Avon Apothecary bottle - (with Pinaud bottle reducer) Will be Green Freeze
- Aqua Velva - You know the deal
- Pinaud Whiskey Woods - Glass Pinaud bottle I found in an antique shop for $2 with threaded glass neck
- Pinaud VIBR - Same scenario as the bottle above - details HERE
- Avon Island Lime
- Avon Bay Rum - Found this full bottle for $.80 in an antique shop

1673923501577.png

3rd row L to R:
- Avon Apothecary bottle - Bootlegger's EL Dorado
- Jeris Hair Tonic - Currently filled with modern Skin Bracer but that SB will be transferred into the yellow Avon bottle for Green Freeze sometime before Spring and the leftover Osage Rub from that mix will live in this Jeris bottle.
- Lucky Tiger Men's Shampoo - Currently filled with the original shampoo, but eventually I'll pick up some Lucky Tiger Bay Rum and swap that in
- Lucky Tiger For Scalp Eczema & Dandruff - Filled with Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic, with the label transferred the same way as the Pinaud bottles.
- Avon Apothecary bottle - (with Pinaud bottle reducer) Bootlegger's Bay Rum

1673924369320.png

4th row L to R:
- Suprex Bay Lotion - I've done nothing to "restore" this bottle. It's contents are original and it smells very strong. However, I must admit that in spite of all the Avon I splash all over myself without ever hesitating, I've been too chicken to try this product out. Between the solids floating at the bottom, the rust all over the cap, and the burn in my nose when I sniff it... this is just for display purposes.
- Royall Bay Rhum - This bottle has an old school cork/cap thing. I cleaned it out, replaced the cork and cleaned up the metal stem, threads and crown cap, then filled it with 10oz of Bootlegger's Bay Rum. Such a cool design, I LOVE this one!
more details HERE & HERE

1673925606768.png

Last edited:
Nice vintage bottle collection!
I have a Royale Spyce bottle, brown glass. Cool classic shape - found it at a used book store, of all places!

I usually keep all the caps off of bottles I discard. Never know when you'll need one.

Attachments

• IMG_6792.JPG
    IMG_6792.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 4
Thank you!

I love these Royall bottles too, it’s funny where certain things will pop up!

Top Bottom