What's new

Vintage Aqua Velva - finally picked one up :

I'm tickled to have found a 1960's vintage Aqua Velva bottle. I remember this bottle when I was a kid (I'm 52 now), especially the big blue cap. It even came with the original box which from the graphics looks to me like 1960's or early 70's (if anyone thinks different let me know, this is just a guess). It's 3/4 full and smells great. Tomorrow morning I'll splash it on :lol:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is the one I've been using for awhile (refilling it when necessary). It's glass and maybe 6 to 8 years old. The cap is obviously different from the early style.

proxy.php

I got a full bottle of NOS in box AV from the mid 1980's, and to me it smells a bit more leathery, and slightly musty. Just a little bit musty, and not objectionable, but side by side with new AV, you can notice it.

It could be a whole host of reasons, storage conditions, natural aging, etc. I prefer modern vs my bottle of vintage.

I got a full bottle of NOS in box AV from the mid 1980's, and to me it smells a bit more leathery, and slightly musty. Just a little bit musty, and not objectionable, but side by side with new AV, you can notice it.

It could be a whole host of reasons, storage conditions, natural aging, etc. I prefer modern vs my bottle of vintage.

It's very likely to have changed over time due to storage conditions. Chemicals can change or evaporate over time, altering the scent. I know i like the modern AV alot. Tomorrow I'll use this vintage bottle and report on my impressions.

PS: would you be able to post a pic of the bottle and box? I'm interested to see any changes in the cap, label, etc.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I heard anything over 25 years old is considered, "vintage". So, anything since 1991 and earlier? Definitely some vintage Ice Blue Aqua Velva out there.

Nice find, and congrats! I recently got a bottle the same era as yours. I think it smells pretty much the same as the new stuff, only not quite as strong perhaps (to be expected). Still good juice! And when it runs out, just keep refilling with the new stuff and enjoy that cool bottle.

Nice find, and congrats! I recently got a bottle the same era as yours. I think it smells pretty much the same as the new stuff, only not quite as strong perhaps (to be expected). Still good juice! And when it runs out, just keep refilling with the new stuff and enjoy that cool bottle.

Exactly. I'm actually not all that concerned whether this bottle's ancient contents are gone bad or not. I love the current AV, so just having this old original bottle was my goal. I'll refill it as needed. :tongue_sm

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When I got my vintage bottle of AV, it had about a 1/4 bottle of vintage juice in it. It smelled rancid, so I poured it out, washed the bottle with liquid dish detergent, and sprayed the inside of the bottle with 91% isopropyl alcohol to disinfect and deodorize. Filled it up with modern AV.

Water, alcohol, glycerin, fragrance, menthol & blue dye No. 1. Basic, Simple & Wonderful. Classic! ;)

Last edited:
This is indeed a beautiful classic piece of art. It's hard to fathom that these bottles were discarded by the tens of millions.

$7F2B2402-0354-45D9-9E50-FCDC1FE00BCA_zps1689wh8z.jpg

Congrats on the score. Love the bottle and the box graphics. Notice the snowmobiler sans helmet.

Ha! Yes, good observation! Also no metric measure of the contents, its just "6 FL OZ". No barcode either, on box or bottle. I believe the barcodes began in about 1974 or so?

Top Bottom