What's new

Vintage April 2022

70's Merkur 37

full
Thanks but Im not sure Im up to that anymore but I've been working on my album (preidy) here on line at B&B for 3-4 years (500 + pics) which pretty much documents all my stuff. I did it so I'd have a resource that I could easily access and so I could also pass along razor info to my adult kids. I have descriptions, information, sometimes history and facts regarding each entry (razor) which I gleened during the years reading articles here (best source) and elsewhere when I was trying to research vintage razors (mainly Gillette). I think it's prettty accurate although sometimes someone gives me holler with better info and I correct the entry. Thanks for the nice words. I really enjoyed the hunt over these years finding these beautiful shaving speciums from our past. Pat
That's an impressive collection, Pat.
I wanted to add a like but there was so many, I thought I'd let you know I like your collection in a post.
Good pics too.
I have not shaved with a Gillette yet, odd as that may seem. I collect Interbellum bakelite and plastic razors, because they usually are quite agressive and demand a light touch.
As for Gillette: my last shave for 'vintage april' will be an old Gillette I got with a lot I bought.
Must confess I'm curious 😇

Lather: Muhle Sandalwood shaving stick
Brush: Simpsons Classic C1 Synthetic
Razor: Gillette 1918 Old Type
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (1)
Post-shave: Cold water and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

20220430_082124.jpg

20220430_082141.jpg

As it is the last day of vintage april I have decided to end it with my Vintage Gillette that sees the least love, my 1918 old type that I keep in my locker at Work. I don't know whether it is because it's a 1918 of because its made in the USA, while my 1921-1928 Old Type is made in England but the 1918 definitely feels more aggressive and not as smooth as the 1921-1928. I still love it though.

Vintage April has been fun, I look forward to the 2023 Vintage April.

That's an impressive collection, Pat.
I wanted to add a like but there was so many, I thought I'd let you know I like your collection in a post.
Good pics too.
I have not shaved with a Gillette yet, odd as that may seem. I collect Interbellum bakelite and plastic razors, because they usually are quite agressive and demand a light touch.
As for Gillette: my last shave for 'vintage april' will be an old Gillette I got with a lot I bought.
Must confess I'm curious 😇
Jack thank you for the kind words. Good luck on the Gillette shave. BTW here is one of my favorite non-Gillette razors. A WW II military issue bakelite. This beauty ugly duckling is the most mild and smooth razor in my collection and i'd rank it in top 3 for a very close shave. I have razors I spend 100's for that don't give me as good of shave. Anyway its a Simplex three-piece military razor circa 1942-44. The razors were procured by the Chief Quartermaster of the European Theater of Operations during WW II - Stock No. 29-R-1035. The razor cap is metal, base plate and handle plastic. Mfg by the Federal Razor Blade Co. of New York. Razor weight 0.94 oz. I use this baby every Memorial day. Have a great weekend. Pat
5.JPG

4.jpg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Jack thank you for the kind words. Good luck on the Gillette shave. BTW here is one of my favorite non-Gillette razors. A WW II military issue bakelite. This beauty ugly duckling is the most mild and smooth razor in my collection and i'd rank it in top 3 for a very close shave. I have razors I spend 100's for that don't give me as good of shave. Anyway its a Simplex three-piece military razor circa 1942-44. The razors were procured by the Chief Quartermaster of the European Theater of Operations during WW II - Stock No. 29-R-1035. The razor cap is metal, base plate and handle plastic. Mfg by the Federal Razor Blade Co. of New York. Razor weight 0.94 oz. I use this baby every Memorial day. Have a great weekend. PatView attachment 1448011
View attachment 1448012
These are great vintage razors! :)

photostudio_1651174032743.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1922 New Improved Silver Richwood set
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
I'm going out with my Richwood set. Elegant and efficient.

4/30/22 Vintage SOTD

'34 Aristocrat
Feather
28mm Paladin
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
TSD Bourbon & Vanilla

I wanted to end the vintage month with one of my favorite razors. It's one of my favorites because it's so smooth & efficient. It's not the smoothest nor the most efficient Gillette razor in my den. That distinction belongs to my RFB's. But the '34 Aristocrat is my preferred razor due to its place in history.

Thank you @never-stop-learning for starting this thread & encouraging many of us to either discover, or re-discover, the marvelous razors of the past.

'34 Aristocrat
Feather
28mm Paladin
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
TSD Bourbon & Vanilla
IMG_3043.jpg

David (@never-stop-learning),
Thank-You.png

It's been a fun month! :clap:

Final Vintage April 2022 SOTD
H-SOTD-B_2022-04-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette Hybrid Tech GT
Blade: RK Stainless (2)
ASL: Chocolate Orange [home brew]

An OK shave.
The second round with the RK blade wasn't so good.
I'll load up with one of my benchmark Personna Red blades next shave to check it's not me (that's only just OK). :letterk1:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom