What's new

Vinegar in aftershaves?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 When it was noted the new 1932 Floid aftershave had vinegar as an ingredient, it caused a stir.

But why not? It got me thinking. Vinegar (A) as a compositional note; and (B) as an ingredient.

Vinegar (acetic acid) does many beneficial things, perhaps it's added as an antiseptic. But here are so many types of vinegar ... an organic apple cider might be an interesting addition.

So in the name of science - and general foolishness - I did it.

20210719_184817~2.jpg

2 ozs witch hazel (WH)

4 drops glycerin

2 drops ginger lily essential oil (EO)

1 spoonful organic apple cider vinegar (ACV).

🤔 Now. That EO is vicious strong. I added some to Haslingers, and it made a face-warming but really fragrant ginger lily soap.

WH is a pretty benign carrier, but it has its own scent. The oils don't mix, this needs to be shaken before use - just like all the Ogallala WH-base aftershaves.

So. How is it?

Shook and slapped some on. The floral is there but also a bit of a tang from the ACV.

No burn from too much EO.

🤔 Actually it's pretty good!

Thoughts?

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
🤔 When it was noted the new 1932 Floid aftershave had vinegar as an ingredient, it caused a stir.

But why not? It got me thinking. Vinegar (A) as a compositional note; and (B) as an ingredient.

Vinegar (acetic acid) does many beneficial things, perhaps it's added as an antiseptic. But here are so many types of vinegar ... an organic apple cider might be an interesting addition.

So in the name of science - and general foolishness - I did it.

View attachment 1299283

2 ozs witch hazel (WH)

4 drops glycerin

2 drops ginger lily essential oil (EO)

1 spoonful organic apple cider vinegar (ACV).

🤔 Now. That EO is vicious strong. I added some to Haslingers, and it made a face-warming but really fragrant ginger lily soap.

WH is a pretty benign carrier, but it has its own scent. The oils don't mix, this needs to be shaken before use - just like all the Ogallala WH-base aftershaves.

So. How is it?

Shook and slapped some on. The floral is there but also a bit of a tang from the ACV.

No burn from too much EO.

🤔 Actually it's pretty good!

Thoughts?

AA

I love science! ( and a bit of foolishness... :) )

I think it would be an interesting experiment to add some organic ACV to an already established cheap AS and see if it blends. I mean, we add glycerin and witch hazel to our Pinaud Clubman's? Why not ACV?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Brother @Ad Astra : did you drink some Hard Cider before you came up with yer science fair experiment?

Esteemed Brother Dave, I don't drink but I do love mixology.

See the Ballistol Aftershave thread:

AA

OkieStubble

Esteemed Brother Dave, I don't drink but I do love mixology.

See the Ballistol Aftershave thread:

AA

We need to bump heads with your PLV mix. See if we can turn it into a Bootlegger's. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah, thanks gents.

🤔 We'll find out after a shave if that ACV is a good thing.

In the meantime... It's a tangy floral!

AA

Acv is used topical with skin issues so that part is logical.
Usually we talk about cloudy acv which contains the mother.
So far my alternative education agrees.
and then my formal education kicks in and makes me frown…
Cloudy is partly internal used due to the fact it contains active bacteria and yeasts which also act as probiotics.
But rubbing that in some nicks and cuts still gives me the yaaaaiks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Used an absolutely unscented soap (PAA The Cube) to give this funky aftershave a fair trial.

Great, close shave. Slapped on ... "Tangy Floral" liberally.

Drying, it had an odd face feel ... almost squeaky.

The ACV is the main additive, at one spoonful. It is most certainly present. The EO at two drops is also quite present.

After it dried, the glycerin is present in a shiny, smooth face. As a sticky carrier for the aromatics, it's working. This is just so, a tangy floral. Half hour later, still present.

It's not unsuccessful. Apparently there are lots of DIY skin care recipes that use ACV.

ACV is an astringent, just like the WH.

A toner, with vitamins.

It's antibacterial, so could fill the role of alcohol in aftershave.

Interesting.

AA

OkieStubble

Used an absolutely unscented soap (PAA The Cube) to give this funky aftershave a fair trial.

Great, close shave. Slapped on ... "Tangy Floral" liberally.

Drying, it had an odd face feel ... almost squeaky.

The ACV is the main additive, at one spoonful. It is most certainly present. The EO at two drops is also quite present.

After it dried, the glycerin is present in a shiny, smooth face. As a sticky carrier for the aromatics, it's working. This is just so, a tangy floral. Half hour later, still present.

It's not unsuccessful. Apparently there are lots of DIY skin care recipes that use ACV.

ACV is an astringent, just like the WH.

A toner, with vitamins.

It's antibacterial, so could fill the role of alcohol in aftershave.

Interesting.

AA

I have a question. How much water is actually in this mix? The reason I ask, is because many black men who shave, get lots of ingrown hairs after shaving due to the course curly hair we have, causing razor bumps. Instead of shaving with a razor, my son in law, uses hair clippers and olive oil to shave.

You would still be surprised at the incredibly close shave he gets, just due to skill. He also, uses ACV as an aftershave. while he doesn't have sensitive skin, many people do and ACV can burn those with sensitive skin. While he uses actual olive oil rubbed in to shave with, I would think the natural microbial properties in OO, would be good to cut the harshness and add too the microbial properties of ACV.

Mixing it with distilled water and other natural EO's is something else all together. good luck. :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a question. How much water is actually in this mix? The reason I ask, is because many black men who shave, get lots of ingrown hairs after shaving due to the course curly hair we have, causing razor bumps. Instead of shaving with a razor, my son in law, uses hair clippers and olive oil to shave.

You would still be surprised at the incredibly close shave he gets, just due to skill. He also, uses ACV as an aftershave. while he doesn't have sensitive skin, many people do and ACV can burn those with sensitive skin. While he uses actual olive oil rubbed in to shave with, I would think the natural microbial properties in OO, would be good to cut the harshness and add too the microbial properties of ACV.

Mixing it with distilled water and other natural EO's is something else all together. good luck. :)

Rob, interesting. (That article was great!) There's no added water at all in my mix, just whatever the Equate Witch Hazel breakdown was... Checked. 86%WH.

A spoonful of ACV may have been a bit strong. I have used about a fifth of the 2 Oz bottle and topped it off with just WH.

OO and ACV have tons of healthful benefits. This aftershave has had no detrimental effects and I kind of like the tangy floral thing! But it could have been blended with lots of other EOs.

🤔 If SIL can slap on straight ACV, wow! 🤣 Think it would sizzle my average face. Can feel it at one spoonful to the 2 ozs. But when you look at all the preservatives and wierd chemicals in some aftershaves, natural stuff has to be considered.

It's interesting for sure. (But it hasn't cured my arthritis yet) 😋

AA

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Rob, interesting. (That article was great!) There's no added water at all in my mix, just whatever the Equate Witch Hazel breakdown was... Checked. 86%WH.

A spoonful of ACV may have been a bit strong. I have used about a fifth of the 2 Oz bottle and topped it off with just WH.

OO and ACV have tons of healthful benefits. This aftershave has had no detrimental effects and I kind of like the tangy floral thing! But it could have been blended with lots of other EOs.

🤔 If SIL can slap on straight ACV, wow! 🤣 Think it would sizzle my average face. Can feel it at one spoonful to the 2 ozs. But when you look at all the preservatives and wierd chemicals in some aftershaves, natural stuff has to be considered.

It's interesting for sure. (But it hasn't cured my arthritis yet) 😋

AA

He slaps it on after he has shaved with olive oil and clippers, so I imagine, his skin is already, somewhat protected by the OO. He also does just like the article described. He slaps the ACV on only for a couple of minutes and then rinses his face with water.

I am wondering, what was the EO you added to your mix? I would think any type of citrus EO like orange/mandarin would/could help with hiding the acidity of the ACV. Some added Vanilla EO and possibly just a few drops of cinnamon or other kind of spice? :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
He slaps it on after he has shaved with olive oil and clippers, so I imagine, his skin is already, somewhat protected by the OO. He also does just like the article described. He slaps the ACV on only for a couple of minutes and then rinses his face with water.

I am wondering, what was the EO you added to your mix? I would think any type of citrus EO like orange/mandarin would/could help with hiding the acidity of the ACV. Some added Vanilla EO and possibly just a few drops of cinnamon or other kind of spice? :)

Ah! I tell the story about that essential oil (EO) here:

🤔 Now I do think ACV has a lot of potential. I had a sample of Stirlings Hot Apple Cider soap... ACV would go with that, a simple mix of ACV and WH with no EOs at all.

AA

Human skin has a natural pH of around 5 which is slightly acidic. When we shave, we are using products that are slightly alkaline since lye is used in the production of soaps. Thus, the natural pH balance of our skin is disrupted.

Vinegar diluted to the normal strength of 5% has a pH around 2.5 which is significantly more acidic than normal skin. However, when diluted with water or witch hazel, the pH will be less acidic. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is not quite as acidic as white vinegar, so ACV should be used if you plan to apply it to your skin. When diluted ACV is great for helping restore the natural pH balance of your skin after shaving.

One possible issue with using ACV in an aftershave is that fruit flies love the aroma of ACV. They interpret the aroma to mean fermenting fruit is nearby.

Top Bottom