What's new

Vinegar in aftershaves?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ah! I tell the story about that essential oil (EO) here:

🤔 Now I do think ACV has a lot of potential. I had a sample of Stirlings Hot Apple Cider soap... ACV would go with that, a simple mix of ACV and WH with no EOs at all.

AA

Sounds like a great idea to me... :)

Ah, thanks gents.

🤔 We'll find out after a shave if that ACV is a good thing.

In the meantime... It's a tangy floral!

AA
This may not add much to the conversation, but...

It’s a good toner as I recall. I used it in hair rinse, skin applications, and to remove a cherry angioma.

Straight, on a cotton ball, applied for five-ten minutes or so daily for a couple few applications is what I did...it can remove angiomas, but you have to be careful. It can also burn you some.

This may not add much to the conversation, but...

It’s a good toner as I recall. I used it in hair rinse, skin applications, and to remove a cherry angioma.

Straight, on a cotton ball, applied for five-ten minutes or so daily for a couple few applications is what I did...it can remove angiomas, but you have to be careful. It can also burn you some.

That is why it is best to dilute it before application to the face.

The starting point was the new Floid formula, right?
Italy and Spain run on grape based vinegars either distilled grape alcohol or more often wine based.
Maybe this gives you a more neutral base for the next batch…

A few years back, I remember a thread similar to this. I used straight ACV as a splash a couple of times. It was definitely not my favorite scent upon application, but after the dry down, it had a pleasant scent that was very light. It did not burn nor did it feel as nice as my other splashes. It was serviceable…. I assume it is used with a salt in aftershaves as a buffer.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
ACV/WH/glycerine works.

Need other EO ideas... Lavender apple? Orange or citrus/apple? 🤔 I have oakmoss and tree moss EOs, but I don't see this going in a fougere direction...

AA

ACV/WH/glycerine works.

Need other EO ideas... Lavender apple? Orange or citrus/apple? 🤔 I have oakmoss and tree moss EOs, but I don't see this going in a fougere direction...

AA

The website Try That Soap does not list any scents with vinegar or ACV. However, there are plenty of scents based on apple or apple cider. I am certain one or more of the scents will give you some ideas on what other scents will combine readily with the ACV.

Things like cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, bergamot and orange are all scents that blend well with apple. You might even try adding a few drops of honey to the aftershave. Not only will the honey add a nuance to the scent, but the glucose in honey is a natural humectant to keep your skin moist. Glycerin is another common humectant.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Human skin has a natural pH of around 5 which is slightly acidic. When we shave, we are using products that are slightly alkaline since lye is used in the production of soaps. Thus, the natural pH balance of our skin is disrupted.

Vinegar diluted to the normal strength of 5% has a pH around 2.5 which is significantly more acidic than normal skin. However, when diluted with water or witch hazel, the pH will be less acidic. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is not quite as acidic as white vinegar, so ACV should be used if you plan to apply it to your skin. When diluted ACV is great for helping restore the natural pH balance of your skin after shaving.

One possible issue with using ACV in an aftershave is that fruit flies love the aroma of ACV. They interpret the aroma to mean fermenting fruit is nearby.

Here's a bit more on pH, but no test kits here.

AA

Top Bottom