What's new

Vincent PSI Blades

I bought a pack on a whim to try. They are as thin as a DE and IMHO they are not very sharp at all. I had to pull it out and put a Proline in to finish the tugging was so bad. I thought maybe it was the blade, tho not likely so i pulled a second out. Same thing, crappy. tugging and not pleasant at all. Someone said they are sharper than a Proline/KAI/Feather. I have no idea if I got a pack that rubs the edge when ejecting the blade or something but these things are terrible. Also, the pack sucks too. It has no slide mechanism to eject the blade so it's got easy to get it out. I thought maybe i was going to be on to something since they are $12 for $50 blades. NOPE!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Mine felt sharper. Or maybe felt more likely to bite me. I’ve got 48-49 left and they’re waiting for my last two Prolines and last 18 Kai P!nk Milds and any refills or Feathers I order and my return to DE shaving and eventually using my Grandpa’s straight razor and then Prolines should be available again and then I’ll break into the next Vincent in the case.

LOL, so not great? I don't even want to PIF them unless it's just to see if someone else can use them and it's a me thing. Sharper Prolines they are not :)

thombrogan

My one remembered shave with them didn’t let me check sharpness or smoothness. With the thinner overall stock and the bevel grind extending back much further than a Proline, they’re thinner still running up to the edge.

If they were vegetable knives, the VT306B would pwn the Proline even when bone dull. I‘m reaching the sad conclusion that my whiskers aren’t potatoes even though I am and the micro geometry of the edge apex is far more important than the gross geometry of the design.

Right, but it's also really flexible, bendy even. At scale.ou wouldn't be able to hold it straight without a clamp of sorts. Maybe I'll make a travelling package of them. 48 guys could try them for the cost of postage

I got a chance to try one of these this morning in a (brand new to me) King Cobra . . . . I wonder why :p

I think it about pulled my stubble out versus cutting it. I made exactly two swipes with it and immediately swapped it out for a Feather ProGuard.

I am not fond of the ProGuard either, but comparatively they are like night and day.

Looking at all the sites that sell them, it looks as though they are primarily sold from barber supply houses.
I don't think that these blades were ever considered for anything else other than a shavette (where the 1st thing you do is strop them).

thombrogan

Tried my second VT306B. In my second RazoRock Hawk (V3OC). Didn’t feel terrifying or particularly sharp this time around. Still did a fairly good just under 2-pass shave (with all difficulties being the same ones I cause myself with other razors/blades/styles so it wasn‘t the blade’s fault).

Much smoother and the post-shave feel is nice 10 hours later. Doubting Feather, Kai, or Personna/Schick have to fear lost market share, but I could easily see boredom being the only reason to discontinue use.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Mine felt sharper. Or maybe felt more likely to bite me. I’ve got 48-49 left and they’re waiting for my last two Prolines and last 18 Kai P!nk Milds and any refills or Feathers I order and my return to DE shaving and eventually using my Grandpa’s straight razor and then Prolines should be available again and then I’ll break into the next Vincent in the case.
IB stocks Prolines now.

thombrogan

IB stocks Prolines now.

They do. I’m still stuck on the idea that I can get 10 P30 packs for $12-13/pack or pay over $20/pack for any number less than 10 packs. That’s the type of kicker that led me to GEM Micromatics and VT306B blades in the first place (and the occasional search for the Bakelite handled Jones Shake Sharp and fever dreams about the IB/RazoRock Eco.

Top Bottom