What's new

Vikings Blade, The Emperor MEIJI Adjustable Razor

This is one of 5 Vikings Blade razors I own and one of two of the adjustables. Man, this razor has caused me many a bloodbath. No matter what setting I placed it on, no matter what blade I used (at least five different blades) the results were always the same. Pain and blood. While some people might get into that kinda thing, it's not for me. Anyway, this morning I was using my other adjustable from VB, The Emperor Agustus, and had a fantastic shave! After cleaning, I placed it in it's place next to the MEIJI and really began to wonder why I couldn't get a shave out of the MEIJI.
After a serious scrutinazation of the razor it became blindingly obvious as to the reason......
1000000644.jpg

The adjustment mechanism wasn't gapping the blade evenly and yes when I make a blade adjustment I loosen the blade lock then re tighten. After a brief conversation with the helpful people at Amazon, I'm currently awainting a no charge replacement due in on Monday the 19th.
I don't know weather or not this might help someone else out, but hey, it's here for future reference.

There hasn't been much talk about these razors on this forum, some elsewhere. The number 1 flaw with this razor is the way it holds the blade produces a frown, this is well know. I only take mine out a couple times a year to give myself cool new scars that my straight razors can't accomplish!

To actually be helpful, watch the blade corners and keep some extra distance from loose skin or bumps. Make sure you use the older Gillette technique of putting the safety bar down and carefully lifting the handle. The substantial weight can just be guided to maintain blade contact without any strong movements. It does work really nice, right up until it cuts you!

I had one that came with a significant frown. As mentioned, this is a well-known issue with this razor. The company states lt was done on purpose, but I'm pretty sure it was a manufacturing flaw.

I sent the razor to a handy member of these forums and he took it apart and fixed the frown for me. Thereafter, it shaved a bit better, but I never really took to it and ended up selling it.

I liked the way it looked and I was hopeful it would shave kind of like a Fatboy, but it really didn't. In the end it wasn't a bad shaver, but it didn't wow me in any way. Ultimately I found it disappointing. Too bad, because the razor design looks cool.

As mentioned, this is a well-known issue with this razor. The company states lt was done on purpose, but I'm pretty sure it was a manufacturing flaw.
According to VB they went back to the original design sans 'frown'. My VB is new so I assume I have the updated version ... so far I haven't had any issues and enjoy shaving with it, so perhaps they have finally gotten things dialed in.

It is such a cool looking razor and I may buy one down the line. I've been a little put off by the number of negative reviews (although I'm not sure all are legitimate). Some say the "frown" was done on purpose, including the little bumps on the inside of the doors. I don't know but I think they know what they were doing.
Regardless, when I decided to purchase an adjustable razor, I went with the Rockwell 6C. I'm not criticizing the Vikings Blade product. I find it absolutely gorgeous and I may still buy one.
Good luck!

I was considering the VB Crusader adjustable that has a similar head mechanism but there was an inordinate amount of similar complaints about the mechanical operation so I ran away! Are all adjustable razors subject to mfg. flaws and limitations like this? I mean, there are so many opportunities for bad tolerances to accumulate to cause big problems like these. Seems to me an adjustable needs to be built to the standards of a Swiss watch for them to be dependable. There is beauty in the reliability of simplicity.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Are all adjustable razors subject to mfg. flaws and limitations like this?

Negative!

Adjustables made by companies who care, will always do their best, to construct quality pieces of razor gear. I agree that the Emperor Meji looks like an gorgeous razor, and I'd love to have it just for that reason alone. Having said that however, I am not so sure about paying 60 dollars for a razor that has a manufacturing defect!

Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE Safety Razor
proxy.php

Not defective, straight blade alignment.

Merkur Futur Adjustable DE Safety Razor.
proxy.php

Gillette Fatboy Adjustable DE Safety Razor
proxy.php

PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable
proxy.php

The problem with the Viking company, is they manufacture their product in China, by lower quality standards. If you based your description of quality souly on the basis of weight, well, the Meji has weight in spades, and probably weighs more then even a Merkur Futur razor. I do have an appreciation for heavy weighted razors BTW. Having said that however, I also base quality on manufacturing with proper tolerances.

I like my razors to be straight, I like the blades to be held securely in them, and straight! I like a razor that doesn't blade chatter my face to death. I like a razor that doesn't cut me with nicks and weepers to prepare me for the reaper, where I am forced pay my travel tole in crimson blood. Life is just easier using razors that are made properly.

Well, I had a Vikings blade Emperor (Not Meiji cos I prefer frosted silver) and it worked well. Didn't have any issues with it. Eventually gave it away as I preferred non-butterfly razors. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, QC being a known issue with these razors, so yeah, get a replacement.

I have a Crusader Ragnar, no frown, tight even adjustment, great razor. I received a Meiji on 4/9 and been fighting same issue. Shaves great once I pinch down and level the blade gap, but not going I keep risking cutting myself. Contacted VB for a replacement.

I have a Crusader Ragnar, no frown, tight even adjustment, great razor. I received a Meiji on 4/9 and been fighting same issue. Shaves great once I pinch down and level the blade gap, but not going I keep risking cutting myself. Contacted VB for a replacement.
Well that’s disappointing! I thought I had heard that they had fixed it at least a year ago, maybe it’s a tool wear issue that’s going to come back every couple years.

I had taken every chance to rag on about this in the past, but I still kept going back to try it again because I actually liked it!

I have two questions. Does the regular Emporer exhibit the same issues as described here? Second question. I see the Meji and the Emporer Augustus come in the darker finish. For those who have been using it a while how is the finish holding up since it is on the wear surface of the bar and cap?

Had two of the Meiji, first one had problems with blade gap, second one the blade would at times literally jump out of the razor when opening, even with the adjustment open all the way. Returned it as well. Gonna give them another year to work out their problems and I'll try again as I really like the razor.

I have two questions. Does the regular Emporer exhibit the same issues as described here? Second question. I see the Meji and the Emporer Augustus come in the darker finish. For those who have been using it a while how is the finish holding up since it is on the wear surface of the bar and cap?
I have several VB razors including the Augustus, never have had an issue with any of them except for the Meiji.

My only other VB is the Crusader, which I like. We will see how this ordeal with customer service goes if I will ever own another.

It is such a cool looking razor and I may buy one down the line. I've been a little put off by the number of negative reviews (although I'm not sure all are legitimate). Some say the "frown" was done on purpose, including the little bumps on the inside of the doors. I don't know but I think they know what they were doing.
Regardless, when I decided to purchase an adjustable razor, I went with the Rockwell 6C. I'm not criticizing the Vikings Blade product. I find it absolutely gorgeous and I may still buy one.
Good luck!
Well, I did end up buying the Meiji after reading enough reviews that I felt more comfortable spending my money on one.
My observation: It's the most aggressive razor I own. My first shave with it was rough. I had it set on 5, about halfway through the adjustment range. After than I dialed it back to 2.5 and it's much more pleasant if still pretty aggressive.
I have had zero issues with the razor. None of the "frown" or crooked blade gap. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe it will go south after X number of shaves, although the directions included to state how to correct it if it gets out of alignment.
I really like the razor. It's hefty and has a solid feel. The TTO mechanism is flawless. The finish shows absolutely no wear (granted, I rinse and dry all my razors after each use) and so far I'm really pleased. I realize others have not been so lucky. I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine remains flawless.

Well it went south with VB support today. I am not going to work on the razor or make repairs for them. And I am not playing email tag or waiting games. Just wrapped up the Meiji for return to Amazon for full refund. That was my last VB. Glad this happened now, before my Amazon return time ran out. I would hate to be left to deal with VB support for the remainder of the warranty.

The fix is on. After 3 attempts to give a 1 star ratting of the Meiji I, Amazon will not accept my review. I followed the Amazon guide lines but it keeps getting kicked back. No reason other then I was not following them. I think we have a fox in the hen house. My sympathies for any future VB Meiji customers. They won’t get a dime out of me again. It gave me a good reason to order a Rockwell 6s, as far as the wife knows I am just returning the Meiji for a replacement 😂.

Top Bottom