What's new

Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus

Hadn’t had a shave with the VB Emperor Augustus in a long while. Came close a few times on letting it go. Well, I still have it and pulled it out for this morning’s shave. The outcome was a very smooth and comfortable BBS finish in 3 uneventful passes. Paired it with a Feather, set the dial to 7 and the Augustus just went through 2.5 days of whiskers with ease. This thing is a tank yet feels nicely balanced with excellent grip. Well built and a real nice shaver...

D62E791B-8340-4707-B970-A28A88F810F4.jpeg

Hadn’t had a shave with the VB Emperor Augustus in a long while. Came close a few times on letting it go. Well, I still have it and pulled it out for this morning’s shave. The outcome was a very smooth and comfortable BBS finish in 3 uneventful passes. Paired it with a Feather, set the dial to 7 and the Augustus just went through 2.5 days of whiskers with ease. This thing is a tank yet feels nicely balanced with excellent grip. Well built and a real nice shaver...

View attachment 1069016

I think your description of it being like a tank is perfect. The weight and beefiness might not be for everyone but it always worked for me as it has good balance.

I found that not to my liking either. I think it is even longer than the Variant and long handle Progress. I did shoot VB a comment though asking them to consider making a short handle version of it , closer to a regular Progress. It does balance well though (somewhere right below the adjustment ring).

Hi. They do make a shorter handle version of it. It's called the The EMPEROR MEIJI Adjustable. At the time I'm writing this, Amazon sells it for $60. Does anyone have this version? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Hi. They do make a shorter handle version of it. It's called the The EMPEROR MEIJI Adjustable. At the time I'm writing this, Amazon sells it for $60. Does anyone have this version? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I have one and prefer it to the longer handle. Tastes vary, and it still has a weight that eclipses my Rex by a little. I like the weight, others might not. Same head and aggression per setting as the long handle. I also prefer the finish.

Thank you! It does sound like the Meiji is a nicer finish. I get my Augustus on Wednesday, so I haven't seen it yet in person. I didn't know about the Meiji at the time I asked for the Augustus as a birthday gift, or I probably would've asked for that one.

Thx for the review, I currently use milder razors such as the EJ89 and Merkur 34C which btw are excellent but with an occasional 3/4/days of growth I need something a tad more efficient for that purpose so an adjustable seems the most versatile way to go and these vikings caught my eye at first sight very nice looking razors but I'm still in doubt on which one to get Crusader or emperor

It was a good one this morning. The VB Emperor cleared out the whiskers with relative ease (2 days worth) and comfortably so. Is it the greatest adjustable razor ever made? Hardly but, it delivers a good shave from mild to nice blade feel depending on the setting and the side you are using. For the $$$, it’s a real good razor that has very good build quality with a cool color and sort of retro look. Bottom line is, it shaves....

8D1967D7-4D8C-49E5-A1A9-0C86F3A7DA0D.jpeg

I just got an Emporer, and I'm having trouble with the adjusting ring. Whenever I try to lower the aggression, the baseplate gets tilted. I'm not sure if it's a user error or a defect. Am I tightening the handle too much? It's my first razor ever btw. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I just got an Emporer, and I'm having trouble with the adjusting ring. Whenever I try to lower the aggression, the baseplate gets tilted. I'm not sure if it's a user error or a defect. Am I tightening the handle too much? It's my first razor ever btw. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hard to do a remote diagnosis, but no, that shouldn't happen. Also know that the Vikings razors are, well I don't want to say bad, but they are often flawed with finish, this or that.

As it is your first razor ever I see where you are coming from, I also thought adjustable means I can adjust the razor just as I want it to be. That's not entirely true, the core characteristics of the razor remain regardless how much you dial up or down.

So maybe read the forum some more and find a so called "three piece" razor. The mentioned Mühle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34C or other Merkurs are a good start. I don't know where are you from and what you can get locally, so I cannot be more specific.

I would try returning the Emperor if it does the things you described.

Top Bottom