What's new

Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus

Thanks for detailed information
Can you please post the link for the part on Ebay?
Do I understand it correctly that it will make it more aggressive even on low settings?

Not sure if I am allowed to post eBay links on the forum or not. Just search for Merkur razor top caps and I’m sure a few sellers will pop up. Just get one with the long threads.

Not sure if I am allowed to post eBay links on the forum or not. Just search for Merkur razor top caps and I’m sure a few sellers will pop up. Just get one with the long threads.

I actually went to look if they are still available and finally located it. Search for “replacement part Merkur 2 piece”. My old seller is listed there with that search with a Buy it Now option. I think Buy it Now sales can be mentioned on here. Guess Ill find out.

I actually went to look if they are still available and finally located it. Search for “replacement part Merkur 2 piece”. My old seller is listed there with that search with a Buy it Now option. I think Buy it Now sales can be mentioned on here. Guess Ill find out.
Thanks
Found just one sold by too well known seller who, I was told, is a member here

Thanks
Found just one sold by too well known seller who, I was told, is a member here

Didn’t know he was on here. He should really just put them on BST to cut out eBay’s fee.

Regarding your other question, yes the Merkur cap makes the Variant more aggressive by at least 1 setting, I thought it was almost 2 when I put it in, that’s why I changed my first setting to + when I recalibrated it.

Didn’t know he was on here. He should really just put them on BST to cut out eBay’s fee.

Regarding your other question, yes the Merkur cap makes the Variant more aggressive by at least 1 setting, I thought it was almost 2 when I put it in, that’s why I changed my first setting to + when I recalibrated it.
Thanks a lot

First time poster and new member here. Trolled the forums a few years back when I first converted to safety razors over cartridge but never joined. This razor conversation made me want to join.

I have been using a Van Der Hagen “El Cheapo” Basic from Target for the past few years and decided it was time to upgrade. Found the Emperor and was intrigued. Bought it and loved it. Great shave, great feel but noticed on the tooth side, the blade stuck out more than the smooth side. Maybe that’s how it should be. Who knows. Only my second double edge I’ve ever owned. But then the doors kept getting stuck trying to close it. This required me using my finger to position the blade while turning it. So I decided to return and replace it. Bought on Amazon but from VB’s page.

So the replacement showed up. Closed great, no issues. Tried over and over to see if it stuck and didn’t. Awesome! Then I noticed it was evenly sticking out both sides. Sweet! Even better! But then I shaved and realized I’m getting ripped up. Ok. Weird. So tried a fresh blade next time. Same. Tried a different brand. No change. But then I noticed that while looking at the blade straight on, the bottom left corner was bent down. I looked at the other side. Same thing. Left corner of the blade was bent down. Inspected the butterfly doors and noticed that the metal was not flat. Had burrs on it. Well great. That explains a lot.

I’m not getting on here to bash this razor because I really did enjoy it and want it to work. But the quality I’m coming across with my purchases is not on par with what everyone here seems to be getting. So my question is, now that you all know what I’ve gone through, do I try again with a “third time’s the charm” or put this razor and or company to bed? Thanks

They probably got a bad batch since there multiple people who have the same issue. I sent my back for refund because there are too many great razors available on the market without quality control issues

They probably got a bad batch since there multiple people who have the same issue. I sent my back for refund because there are too many great razors available on the market without quality control issues

Like my $250 Rex correct? Or my GC or Variant? You would think.

First time poster and new member here. Trolled the forums a few years back when I first converted to safety razors over cartridge but never joined. This razor conversation made me want to join.

I have been using a Van Der Hagen “El Cheapo” Basic from Target for the past few years and decided it was time to upgrade. Found the Emperor and was intrigued. Bought it and loved it. Great shave, great feel but noticed on the tooth side, the blade stuck out more than the smooth side. Maybe that’s how it should be. Who knows. Only my second double edge I’ve ever owned. But then the doors kept getting stuck trying to close it. This required me using my finger to position the blade while turning it. So I decided to return and replace it. Bought on Amazon but from VB’s page.

So the replacement showed up. Closed great, no issues. Tried over and over to see if it stuck and didn’t. Awesome! Then I noticed it was evenly sticking out both sides. Sweet! Even better! But then I shaved and realized I’m getting ripped up. Ok. Weird. So tried a fresh blade next time. Same. Tried a different brand. No change. But then I noticed that while looking at the blade straight on, the bottom left corner was bent down. I looked at the other side. Same thing. Left corner of the blade was bent down. Inspected the butterfly doors and noticed that the metal was not flat. Had burrs on it. Well great. That explains a lot.

I’m not getting on here to bash this razor because I really did enjoy it and want it to work. But the quality I’m coming across with my purchases is not on par with what everyone here seems to be getting. So my question is, now that you all know what I’ve gone through, do I try again with a “third time’s the charm” or put this razor and or company to bed? Thanks

Any pics?

Any pics?
Didn’t think to take any before shipping back. Pure coincidence I found this thread. I decided to try the new version they just made. A few similar complaints but I took into consideration what someone else put earlier about Amazon. Don’t work, send it back. I’ll take pics if it’s jacked up also and post.

There is a serrated edge and a SB edge on these Emperor adjustables.

The blade exposure difference is small but there. Both the Emperor Augustus and the new Meiji have identical heads. Like the Emperor series and the rest of their razors, all are TTO.

VB have been making TTO razors for a while now. I think there are 6 varieties but more models based on color etc but 6 look basically the same to me.

Didn’t think to take any before shipping back. Pure coincidence I found this thread. I decided to try the new version they just made. A few similar complaints but I took into consideration what someone else put earlier about Amazon. Don’t work, send it back. I’ll take pics if it’s jacked up also and post.

Sounds like your first razor was fine. The TTO is designed on these to not close unless the blade is completely flat. Just their safety feature. The only time I have to give it a tap with any Emperor is with a wide Kai blade, but not every time.

The only modern razors I’ve seen without any hiccups with QC, and I mean zero include Timeless, Charcoal Goods and the Wolfman offerings. pretty much everybody has an issue here and there.

There was a batch of Variants that had the black coatings peeling off their handles way back. My Variant and I love them, had a pretty big hiccup where the threads separated from my cap on my first shave. I have ordered razors with bum handles and Ive put down a lot of money on so-called the best of the best razors and received back nothing short of garbage.

These VBs are sold on Amazon, if you don’t get what you paid for, you can get your refund or a replacement. No worries about haggling with customer service bozos. Hit my profile and read up on a couple of my experiences with bozos. I’ve had my share.

I have too many razors and learned a while back that after you get your technique down, it doesn’t matter what you shave with. Maybe the difference between 2 or 3 passes to get BBS but that is it.

Wish I had know about that with the feature to not close. Oh well. Live and learn.

The other options remain obvious as always, New Old Stock vintage razors. More expensive but still less expensive then some allegedly advanced modern offerings.

Except for a rare few I have not tried, the best adjustables ever, period are the Super 84 and the Gibbs. Best built and have best shave.

If you don’t mind used, vintage is still the way to go.

For modern razors, the cheapest include the Ming Shi 2000S futur clone and other futur clones. Never tried them but heard they are pretty good. I do have the Ming Shi 3000S. Very nice shave for a $10 adjustable. It is hated here and elsewhere. It is a nice offering, not perfect but don’t believe the hate. Very good shave.

The Variant and VB are in the same price point. I love both, own 3 Variants, have 2 VBs (Long and short handle). I think the VB is better built and a little smoother but overall, the same shave. Matt from RE did a comparison video and also preferred the VB.

Of course, the higher you go, the more it is in the eye of the user.

Got the new one in the mail. Went with the Meiji this time. Same quality control issues. This one isn’t as bad of an angle but you can see where there’s burrs in the corner(s) that haven’t been shaved down to be flush. Haven’t tried it yet. Since it has a pretty long return time, may keep it for a while and then replace. Maybe enough complaints will come out that will get VB to make a new batch of heads.
F6CA4CFD-4D09-4DE5-93CF-F45DDCD4C537.jpeg
9DDB70CE-788F-4C2B-8637-B47839D170EF.jpeg
650E2FCF-DD13-4968-B752-C5BB1C4A46EF.jpeg
2750B9D1-3545-402F-A3A5-4A8F31F15031.jpeg

Got the new one in the mail. Went with the Meiji this time. Same quality control issues. This one isn’t as bad of an angle but you can see where there’s burrs in the corner(s) that haven’t been shaved down to be flush. Haven’t tried it yet. Since it has a pretty long return time, may keep it for a while and then replace. Maybe enough complaints will come out that will get VB to make a new batch of heads.View attachment 1043851View attachment 1043852View attachment 1043853View attachment 1043854
Had exactly same issue so I just sent it back for refund

Looks like some like this are with latest batch. No issues with the identical head on previous Augustus batches and others. My Meiji doesn’t have that issue either. Most recent batch apparently. Same exact head on both razors, so some Meiji and new batch Augustus might have some of these.

I spoke with VB about this last week via email. Apparently they produce new molds per batch. This explains why this came out of nowhere. Molds are expensive and they are pondering just doing a new mold. My suggestion to them is to also consider inspecting and filing down any door burrs prior to plating the doors on the current batch. In the 3 examples I have seen in pics online, those corner burrs in the silo door cause that curl. It also doesn’t appear to happen with all of them.

I can’t imagine any such issues down the line as they have been releasing TTOs for a while now and mistakes are costly. They stand by what they release and I haven’t heard anywhere where they haven’t done right by any buyers with that issue. It really looks like an easy fix to me.

Tough thing to see with that beauty. I love shaving with both. With my experience with them, they treated me right also. If I had this issue, I might ask for a new silo door. I’m used to swapping out silo doors on my vintage Gillettes, but that is me so I wouldn’t expect others to do the same. What they do have going for them is that the rest of the razor is perfect.

Similar thing happened with the Variant upon it’s release and Parker took care of anyone affected and fixed the issue. Love my Variant and bought 2 more for my sons. Debating on buying either the Meiji or the Augustus for my boys as well but haven’t made my final decision on which I prefer, but leaning toward the short handle.

It really is a great razor. I tried it this morning and I got an “OK” shave out of it. I was timid with my angles on the neck area. Some razor burn and slight stubble left. But I like the shorter handle and the weight difference isn’t enough to really tell the difference from its older brother. I’ll reach out to VB and see what they can do for me on this issue.

Top Bottom