What's new

Viking's Blade Crusader Adjustable vs. Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable vs. QShave Parthenon Adjustable

About 6 years ago I gave DE Safety razors my best shot. The first one I had was the MicroTouch razor that I got at a drug store [the one from Rick from Pawn Stars on the front]. I tried that for a year and then in was given a Gentleman John shaving kit from my wife.

I used that for a year and then switched back to cartridge razors.

After watching several You Tube videos from various dedicated DE razor enthusiasts, I'm ready to give it a third shot.

I know a lot more about razors than I did before, and with Amazon I have a lot more options.

So I'm thinking what would be best for me is an adjustable razor, and I am partial to the butterfly opening mechanism.

I also wanted to spend no more than $50 for the razor.

This had led to three razors:

The Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable
The Viking's Blade Crusader Adjustable
and
The QShave Parthenon Adjustable

It seems that most of the recommended razors are for Parker's, Rockwell, Edwin Jagger's, or Merkurm so I'm kind of leery about the three Razors in my final three.

So any help will be appreciated,

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Stay away from the QShave (also sold as Ming-Shi) adjustable. The inner mechanism for the adjustment is made of plastic and prone to wear down or break. Also there are issues with the blade alignment.

My guess is that the most recommended razors here on B+B are the EJ89 series or the Merkur 34C. Both are in your price range. The reason these are recommended is because they are excellent shavers for beginners or experienced shavers. Both are in the mild/moderate range.

If you want an adjustable, then I would suggest a Slim. Yes these are ‘vintage, but they are reasonably priced, durable and great shavers IME.

Hope this helps!

Most would agree with the EJ89 series or the Merkur 34C for a first razor or a starting over razor. Perhaps wait a bit before getting an adjustable. I'd also agree on a Gillette adjustable if you really want one. Enjoy!

My guess is that the most recommended razors here on B+B are the EJ89 series or the Merkur 34C. Both are in your price range. The reason these are recommended is because they are excellent shavers for beginners or experienced shavers. Both are in the mild/moderate range.

If you want an adjustable, then I would suggest a Slim. Yes these are ‘vintage, but they are reasonably priced, durable and great shavers IME.

Hope this helps!

Great recommendations for the Edwin Jagger de89 or Merkur 34C. And for an adjustable, the vintage Gillette Slim is much better than the ones you mentioned, & can be purchased for under $50. Be patient & watch the BST listing here on B & B, you'll find a nice Slim in good working order.

I will also vote for a Fatboy/Slim/Super Adjustable (the Slim and the Super Adjustable have the same head; the Fatboy is slightly different). All are excellent shavers. As for modern adjustables, I haven't used the ones you mentioned, but the Parker Variant (Merkur Progress knockoff) is pretty darn good (and has a grippy handle!). I don't like the Progress plastic handle, and the fancy Mergress handle options, while gorgeous, don't look very grippy and cost quite a bit more than a Variant.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
All great recommendations. Another vote here for the Merkur 34C or 34G. They are great razors IME. Also a Gillette Slim. Great razor and also adjustable. Then you could go a Gillette Tech, cheap as chips and all good shave dens should have one. Then there is the Schick Krona. Another great razor IME. I think I should stop now before I push you into full blown RAD.

Hey Captain, I've got a barely used Parker Variant Adjustable with your name on it. Highly rated, solid price of kit, just not for me. Do some research and send me a P.M. if interested.

Best, JM

Viking's aren't a razor manufacturer. I think the Viking branded one is also made by Weishi.
The Parthenon is a different razor but also Weishi made.

Either the Qshave knockoff of the Merkur Futur which is greatly built and lasts more than your average Qshave razor or the Merkur 34C which you can find for 30 bucks or less for sure. Viking is just awful and i have no experience with weishi particularly but ive been told thery are too plastic-ish.

Top Bottom