What's new

Viking Blade Emperor or Something else?

I have been shopping around for a new toy to try and I’m interested in the Viking Blade Emperor Meiji. But what has stopped me from going ahead with the sale are two things

1. The “bowing” effect caused by the two burrs and the silo doors. I’ve been wet shaving all my adult life; in addition I’ve accumulated a nice collection of both Vintage and new razors. But I’m not sure about bowing the blade. It’s been my experience that keeping the blade straight and true to the razor results in the best results. Has the laws of physics been suspended?

2. The dual comb head design; with one side scalloped and the other smooth. To me that appears like a production screw-up. But the product was done with production and the Chinese manufacturer said “too late, too bad”. So the answer was let marketing come up with a dog & pony show to sell the mistake. Honestly I keep thinking that Viking will introduce two new razors without the bowing or comb head issues.

But I read the reviews and the razors seem to be getting good reviews. So I’m not sure my next purchase. I know many will suggest a Vintage Gillette but I have several (Slim, SSpeed, Fat Boy & President) and I just can’t justify $175-300 for something else. Where to I go now?

The Emporer Meiji is a great looking razor. It has quite a bit of blade feel, so if you are looking for a very mild razor you won't find it here. On the flip side, if you like a bit of blade feel, you may really enjoy the shave.
It is a heavy, hefty beast.

My VikingsBlade Augustus was garbage.....never could get a decent shave....at max and scalloped. If you must have a new non Gillette adjustable, qshave Parthenon 2 is way, way, way better. Probably the only chicomm worthy adjustable. Or better yet: get a Merkur original 510 or the other

Top Bottom