What's new

Viking Blade bowing or bending the blade

I hope someone can please clear up some confusion on my part. The Viking Blade Emperor and Meiji each include a statement on Amazon that says in part: “2 symmetrical burrs on the door corners which slightly bow/bend the blade. NOT a defect.” It also said at one time that this bowing could be seen on all adjustable razor
Well my Gillette slim doesn’t bow/bend the blade. Also in MHO that bowing a blade is a recipe for a shaving disaster.

I have read many reviews of these razors that don’t mention a blood bath. So can someone shed some light on this

Well my Gillette slim doesn’t bow/bend the blade. Also in MHO that bowing a blade is a recipe for a shaving disaster.

I have read many reviews of these razors that don’t mention a blood bath. So can someone shed some light on this.

Saw that too.

Disclosure: I have a $50 Amazon gift card and I've spent days looking at various unnecessary things I could blow it on.

Frankly, that bend put me off. As you observe, no manufacturer of DEs during the 20th Century seemed to consider bowing a blade as a breakthrough discovery. Milton Berle did not plug such a thing on his show or whatever.

I own a Vikings Blade Emperor, the frosted chrome model. Luckily, an earlier batch and mine doesn't bow the blade. What I don't like about mine is that when you turn the adjustment ring up it creates a gap between the ring and the handle.
20210118_231331.jpg

Is it so wrong that it just...bugs me?

I don't think it is a defect. This Weishi version...
41RA3EUgoPL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

...appears to have the gap too.

But the new "burrs"? This is just speculation, but I think their Chinese supplier sent them a batch with this "feature" they didn't ask for. Further speculation, this might have been an attempt to add those centering tabs you find on the corners of a Tech top plate. But due to bad planning...

Your speculation might be spot on. The Sharpologist also said he thought that it had something to do with the manufacturer shipping a less then top quality razor.

Saw that too ... like with computer software, it's not a bug, it's a feature.... Sounds like cheapining step to me.

It seems despite that minor bowing of the blade it delivers a good shave so if you want it, buy it. It seems to me the bow probably helps in cutting the stubble like a slant razor so that must be beneficial.
What puts me of is the dual comb; I much prefer the same design of safety bar on both sides.

Invicta, I agree why the safety bar differences? I just can see Viking engineering saying gives us 2 different safety bars on the next shipment. It gives us a differential to better market the razor.

I just got a Meiji yesterday. The razor really puts a serious frown in the blade.
I know the Seygus Zeppelin does this on purpose, and they say it stiffens the blade, making for a better shave, but this strikes me more as a mistake than as a design feature. On my razor it is neither symmetric nor consistent among the various settings.
It shaved me ok, but it felt a lot more blade forward than I expected with this design and a small gap. I suspect that bending of the blade had something to do with the excessive blade feel.

I suspect the next mold won’t have this since previous molds also lacked those corner burrs. Mine are from the previous mold so there is no bend. A few seconds with a Dremmel would remedy the corners if it concerns you. On another thread yesterday, I posted some pics showing that silo doors of a Slim or an SA should fit like a glove if you have spares or a trashed vintage Gillette.

When I was looking into buying my first DE razor I considered the Viking razors but the whole blade bending statement of theirs scared me off. I was like I don't think that is how it is supposed to be.

Top Bottom