What's new

Victorian Scuttle Mugs

Is this an antique or a new soap dish thingy? I like it.

I don’t really know what it is. I found it in an antique store. Says made in west Germany so it can’t be super old. Maybe someone knows or can find out. I really love using it. I posted some more pics in action. I store the brush in it as shown, deep enough to hold drops of water and keep brush dry and plenty of lather. I like to use the holes to hold in my hand while applying lather. To me it more resembles a coal scuttle or hod. 5C8ACC84-8DC6-4757-B57F-F9DF7800FC5D.jpeg 28E253E2-1C43-4740-AA23-2F7BF2929864.jpeg A3056262-3E10-465D-9527-B280A8435C99.jpeg 1AAA1134-CF26-4ED2-B04B-C7D5E152C4FD.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing the photo's of the "scuttle" in action. I really like it and I have never seen anything like it before. I will be keeping my eye out in the future for one the same, or very similar.

Since starting this thread I have learned to do a better job making later using a coffee mug. I have a bid on an antique mug presently.

40939D65-0791-4096-8AB5-BF591DB53CCB.jpeg
12EDFAF0-1F51-423F-9FC1-91CF4C40404B.jpeg
The old shaving scuttles were not meant to hold soap. Back in the day, before hot running water, scuttles were filled with water heated on the stove and the brush would go in the bottom to soak. After lathering in a seperate mug the brush would sit in the top of the scuttle to keep it warm for second and third passes. You could also dunk the brush back in the hot water and whip lather in the top. The holes would both allow steam to heat the brush and allow excess water to drain. If you put a puck in the top bowl you cover the drain holes rendering them moot. Some scuttles were mug shaped with a small brush holder with holes over half the top of the mug. These were more appropriate for smaller brushes. I have both styles and enjoy using them when I take a leisurely shave with a straight on weekends. I heat my water in a coffee mug in the microwave for one minute and transfer it to the scuttle.

View attachment 908053 View attachment 908054 The old shaving scuttles were not meant to hold soap. Back in the day, before hot running water, scuttles were filled with water heated on the stove and the brush would go in the bottom to soak. After lathering in a seperate mug the brush would sit in the top of the scuttle to keep it warm for second and third passes. You could also dunk the brush back in the hot water and whip lather in the top. The holes would both allow steam to heat the brush and allow excess water to drain. If you put a puck in the top bowl you cover the drain holes rendering them moot. Some scuttles were mug shaped with a small brush holder with holes over half the top of the mug. These were more appropriate for smaller brushes. I have both styles and enjoy using them when I take a leisurely shave with a straight on weekends. I heat my water in a coffee mug in the microwave for one minute and transfer it to the scuttle.
Very nice collection. Yes, I am aware of how they were used. I’m just repurposing

There are different ways to use the Victorian style scuttles. Back in the old days you would shave in a bedroom or kitchen or wherever. You would have a separate shaving mirror that you could set up anywhere. The bottom chamber was filled with warm water from the stove and the brush was inserted to soften and warm the brush. The top was often used to hold a soap puck. The puck could be applied directly to the face and lathered (I used to do this when I didn't have a brush) or you would hold the puck in your hand and apply the brush to build a lather. The puck would then be placed in the top chamber to drain and dry. They are pretty ingenious devices and quite decorative. I have several different ones. I will post a pic in the coming days when I get home.

There are different ways to use the Victorian style scuttles. Back in the old days you would shave in a bedroom or kitchen or wherever. You would have a separate shaving mirror that you could set up anywhere. The bottom chamber was filled with warm water from the stove and the brush was inserted to soften and warm the brush. The top was often used to hold a soap puck. The puck could be applied directly to the face and lathered (I used to do this when I didn't have a brush) or you would hold the puck in your hand and apply the brush to build a lather. The puck would then be placed in the top chamber to drain and dry. They are pretty ingenious devices and quite decorative. I have several different ones. I will post a pic in the coming days when I get home.
I'll be interested in seeing your scuttles. Since I stated using a brush I have more or less settled on face lathering after watching those Italian Barber videos on YouTube. I'll post more photos of the Flow Blue one I found when it arrives.

Top Bottom