What's new

vetiver

My vote goes to enter noire too. I also smell a piney note similar to pencil shavings. I really like encre noir but it is a pity that if doesn't last on my skin

I just ordered a bottle of the new Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver AS as I like a "raw" vetiver. Guerlain becomes cloying within an hour. 🤢

I reach for Lalique Encre Noire when I want vetiver during cold seasons, Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2012) if I'll be stepping out, and Guerlain Vetiver during warm seasons.

I enjoy Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Hermes TDH. I made a blind buy of Lalique Encre Noire - only because of the super low price - and I haven’t warmed up to it yet. Not sure if I will.

Anyone tried this one? Ordinarily I wouldn't blind buy something this spendy, but you really can't beat the name.

proxy.php

Anyone tried this one? Ordinarily I wouldn't blind buy something this spendy, but you really can't beat the name.

proxy.php

I am sure I have tried it, but I have no specific recollection of it. Have you read the various on-line reviews? Seems to be described as fairly sweet. Luca Turin (actually Tania Sanchez) gives four stars and says "classic vetiver" but also dessert-like emphasis on vanilla and anise, which does not sound like classic vetiver to me. Says does for vetiver what Caron Pour un Homme does for lavender.

I tried some of the ELDO Fat Electrician today. A nice vetiver made very creamy by the vanilla. Good scentmaking. Not sure the vanilla is for me.

I am sure I have tried it, but I have no specific recollection of it. Have you read the various on-line reviews? Seems to be described as fairly sweet. Luca Turin (actually Tania Sanchez) gives four stars and says "classic vetiver" but also dessert-like emphasis on vanilla and anise, which does not sound like classic vetiver to me. Says does for vetiver what Caron Pour un Homme does for lavender.

I haven't tried it yet; it's one of those that I've always wanted to try, but never got around to. They do have a sampler pack that it comes in, so maybe I'll get that. Haven't even looked much at the reviews, but I'm glad to hear that it's on the sweeter side, which I tend to like.

I would always suggest trying before you buy, of course. I was trying to think of vetivers I considered sweet. It does not have that blackberry or whatever sweetness that, as I recall, one of the Turtle vetivers has. Or, again as I recall, Route de Vetiver has a bit of. It is also not swampy like RdV. It seems a like smoky. I would say one has to like vanilla to love this one. I find myself wanting to have the underlying vetiver in this one without the vanilla and anise. I did not find the anise all that right up front in this one. I think I like a little anise in a scent.

Years ago I tried Thierry Muglier's Cologne in a small sampler and it was wonderful stuff, but I'd never pay the kind of money they wanted for a full bottle. Plus it's not easy to find, and not the most popular.

Vetiver is an inexpensive essential oil because it it's easy to grow in tropical areas, and even in some parts of the US, and it grows fast. You can mix and match different growing regions of vetiver and produce everything from woody, resinous base notes all the way to fresh green top notes.

If you sign up for the Mugler rewards program, called The Circle, they run a lot of discounts and special sales. They had 25% off a few months ago.

proxy.php

This is the one for me. I had a sampler and fell in love with it. It starts with a kinda of musty old book smell that transforms into (for me) a proper mans vetiver scent. Its more towards dark woods and a little spice then greens and florals. Its not too lite either. It lasts on my skin a good 6 hours or so. In fact I fell for it so heavily I actually bought several 100ml bottle at RRP. For a guy who buys several bottles of Brut a year this really shocked my bank balance.

This is the one for me. I had a sampler and fell in love with it. It starts with a kinda of musty old book smell that transforms into (for me) a proper mans vetiver scent. Its more towards dark woods and a little spice then greens and florals. Its not too lite either. It lasts on my skin a good 6 hours or so. In fact I fell for it so heavily I actually bought several 100ml bottle at RRP. For a guy who buys several bottles of Brut a year this really shocked my bank balance.

Well that description sounds encouraging... Perhaps I should just go ahead with it. After all, I like vetivers and I'm of the opinion that as long as I kind of like it, if I wear it enough I'll learn to love it.

What's RRP?

Well that description sounds encouraging... Perhaps I should just go ahead with it. After all, I like vetivers and I'm of the opinion that as long as I kind of like it, if I wear it enough I'll learn to love it.

I do not much advocate blind purchases, but looks like there are some reasonable deals on-line for this one, and if you got a bottle and did not like it, it would probably be something that would reasonably quickly on B&B or some place else.

<I wear it enough I'll learn to love it.>

I think I like that perspective, too.

A personal favorite vetiver still available is Les Nombres d’Or Vetyver by Mona di Orio. That said, it has a significant cedar component that you almost have to love to enjoy it. In my case, I do, big time.

For a more hardcore straightforward vetiver, Vitrum from Sammarco is a good choice.

Top Bottom