What's new

Vetiver Citron

Hello, another find I had in Tj Maxx was this Vetiver Citron from Art of Shaving. It's 100ml for only $15. I see on the site it's originally $100. What are your thoughts on the smell, and if it's worth getting? Reviews say it doesn't last long (3hrs or so).

Went to another TJ Maxx today. No AOS products.

I do not think this scent is any kind of a risk. You should be able to resell it easily if you do not like it.

Went to another TJ Maxx today. No AOS products.

I do not think this scent is any kind of a risk. You should be able to resell it easily if you do not like it.

You think so? I'll be sure to get it tomorrow then, hopefully if still there

You think so? I'll be sure to get it tomorrow then, hopefully if still there

I do not know what is going on with Art of Shaving and its scents. I suppose it is worth remembering that it is now owned by Proctor and Gamble (and has been since before the scents we have been talking about were introduced). P&G may be a little clumsy as to more upscale scent offerings. This Vetiver Citron one at 100 ml seems to still be available at $100 from AOS and Amazon (although Amazon says only a couple of bottles are available now but more are expected). The asking prices on ebay for it seem to indicate that $15 is a fabulous price.

The only rating of the Vetiver Citron scent on the AOS website is one star, the complaint being lack of longetivity. Other reviews on, say, Basenotes seem to reference some longetivity concerns in some reviews but not all. A bigger concern in those seem to be cost. BTW, the citrus in the scent seems to be grapefruit. The one star review may be hurting sales. I would think that AOS could get someone to write a more favorable review. For $17, I personally am not concerned about longetivity.

All I can really advise is what I would likely do if it the TJ Maxx's near me were offering these AOS scents.

AOS seems to have introduced a new fragrance, Olibanum and Pepper, but not in the form of a cologne or edt. Sounds great on paper.

I do not know what is going on with Art of Shaving and its scents. I suppose it is worth remembering that it is now owned by Proctor and Gamble (and has been since before the scents we have been talking about were introduced). P&G may be a little clumsy as to more upscale scent offerings. This Vetiver Citron one at 100 ml seems to still be available at $100 from AOS and Amazon (although Amazon says only a couple of bottles are available now but more are expected). The asking prices on ebay for it seem to indicate that $15 is a fabulous price.

The only rating of the Vetiver Citron scent on the AOS website is one star, the complaint being lack of longetivity. Other reviews on, say, Basenotes seem to reference some longetivity concerns in some reviews but not all. A bigger concern in those seem to be cost. BTW, the citrus in the scent seems to be grapefruit. The one star review may be hurting sales. I would think that AOS could get someone to write a more favorable review. For $17, I personally am not concerned about longetivity.

All I can really advise is what I would likely do if it the TJ Maxx's near me were offering these AOS scents.

AOS seems to have introduced a new fragrance, Olibanum and Pepper, but not in the form of a cologne or edt. Sounds great on paper.
Oh wow you did your search! Where do you see their introduction to a new fragrance?

I found the scent to be weak, more like an aftershave than a cologne. The citrus part of it was gone in seconds and only the vetiver lingered for maybe an hour or so. $15 is a fair price but certainly not $100.

I found the scent to be weak, more like an aftershave than a cologne. The citrus part of it was gone in seconds and only the vetiver lingered for maybe an hour or so. $15 is a fair price but certainly not $100.
Art or shaving isn't exactly known for high quality products at a fair price. If you can't find one of these 15 dollar deals, stick with artisan shave products and established fragrance houses.

I Don't mind that as vetiver is the only thing I wanted anyway. I'm headed back for it.

Oh wow you did your search! Where do you see their introduction to a new fragrance?

It is front page of the AOS web site. Looked like balms, shaving cream, and pre-shave stuff all comes in the new flavor, but not any edt or edc.. I forget whether there is an aftershave.

Art or shaving isn't exactly known for high quality products at a fair price. If you can't find one of these 15 dollar deals, stick with artisan shave products and established fragrance houses.

<
high quality products at a fair price>

Consistent with what I said earlier, I would say sort of. I do not recall what it used to sell for, but the Sandalwood edt or whatever they called it, always, to me, had a good reputation among folks into scents, and I do not recall it being overpriced. It was not a Mysore sandalwood, but that could hardly be expected these days given just how rare Mysore sandalwood is. Whatever other scents they had back in the day, I think there was a lemon or some such, seemed to attract indifference.

I am guessing, without looking it up, that P&G taking over AOS had something to do with the jettisoning of the older AOS scents and the release of the new ones. I, for one, based on the written descriptions, thought they were on the right track with the new scents, except of course, for getting rid of a respected "pure" sandalwood. And I think I sampled most of them and liked them well enough. But I would join others in saying that the $100 a bottle seemed excessive. I cannot really speak to longevity. I would not expect a highly citrus frag to have all that much in the way of legs. And they did not attract much attention on the usual user frag review web sites.

FWIW!

<
high quality products at a fair price>

Consistent with what I said earlier, I would say sort of. I do not recall what it used to sell for, but the Sandalwood edt or whatever they called it, always, to me, had a good reputation among folks into scents, and I do not recall it being overpriced. It was not a Mysore sandalwood, but that could hardly be expected these days given just how rare Mysore sandalwood is. Whatever other scents they had back in the day, I think there was a lemon or some such, seemed to attract indifference.

I am guessing, without looking it up, that P&G taking over AOS had something to do with the jettisoning of the older AOS scents and the release of the new ones. I, for one, based on the written descriptions, thought they were on the right track with the new scents, except of course, for getting rid of a respected "pure" sandalwood. And I think I sampled most of them and liked them well enough. But I would join others in saying that the $100 a bottle seemed excessive. I cannot really speak to longevity. I would not expect a highly citrus frag to have all that much in the way of legs. And they did not attract much attention on the usual user frag review web sites.

FWIW!
This one?

Attachments

• 20200114_212337_HDR.jpg
    20200114_212337_HDR.jpg
    960.8 KB · Views: 27
This one?

I know their sandalwood shaving soap smell, and this cologne is not quite the same as that. The opening is very "green" with that cypress and bergamot (even though the cypress is listed as basenote, to me it's very much a top note). However it does eventually settle into a nice classic sandalwood smell that is closer to their original. It's just that this version is a little more complex, as opposed to being a "pure" sandalwood scent. From what I've seen around the internets, the old "sandalwood" edt is highly sought-after.

I finally found a TJ Maxx that had an Art of Shaving product. It had exactly one 100 ml bottle of Vetiver Citron for $29.95 (not $15) and I snapped it up. I sprayed some on my hand about 1.5 hours ago. So far this is excellent and I am a very big vetiver fan. As I predicted might be the case, it opens big with a lot of clean lemon. Over a 20 minute or so period in a gradual, smopoth process, most, but not quite all, of the lemon blows off leaving a very clean (very pure, not smokey, not swampy, slightly sweet, not complex, but rather natural smelling, certainly not all vetiveryle acetate or anything) vetiver. If it were an MPG, it would be more Racine than Route de Vetiver. Masculine. Easily accessible without being boring. We shall see what what kind of legs it has. Really nice bottle. Jeremy Fragrance shoud take note.

I am frankly loving it so far. I suppose it is possible I could tire quickly of it as it is very straight ahead, but I am thinking I will not. Wonderful value at $30. I wish I could find the other flavors at that price. I would buy any of them blind, I think, but especially the sandalwood cypress.

Top Bottom