What's new

Vesuvius/Grim Reaper on the Bay

That's actually a very good price. I've seen Lifetime "Grim Reaper" Dubl Ducks fetch over $600. That one just looks like it needs a good clean and a buff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. The "Grim Reaper" is actually a Dubl Duck Lifetime razor known primarily for the cool little skeleton with a scythe on the scales. It probably shaves no better than any other Dubl Duck, but it is scarcer than other models, and that Grim Reaper dude is really cool.

The Vesuvius in the ended ebay auction I linked to is a Bresnick razor. Bresnick was the earliest incarnation of Dubl Duck and was also known at various points as Bresduck and Pearlduck. This black razor is a Bresnick with what I guess is the earliest usage of the Grim Reaper guy and is even rarer than the Dubl Duck Lifetime. Plus, it's black which is cool.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. The "Grim Reaper" is actually a Dubl Duck Lifetime razor known primarily for the cool little skeleton with a scythe on the scales. It probably shaves no better than any other Dubl Duck, but it is scarcer than other models, and that Grim Reaper dude is really cool.

The Vesuvius in the ended ebay auction I linked to is a Bresnick razor. Bresnick was the earliest incarnation of Dubl Duck and was also known at various points as Bresduck and Pearlduck. This black razor is a Bresnick with I guess is the earliest usage of the Grim Reaper guy and is even rarer than the Dubl Duck Lifetime. Plus, it's black which is cool.

I think this is accurate, though the Lifetime Reapers go for more usually (probably because they have more inlays on the scales). Also think the Lifetime ones are either bresduck or pearlduck.

In all honesty - I think all DD's are vastly overpriced for what they are, but there are collectors out there that will pay serious dough for them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ok guys, are there any other razors that in your opinion shave as well as a DD (other than the obvious Bokers, W&Bs, etc)? Seems any DD without a chip in the blade costs upwards of 80.00, which seems ridiculous to me. I'll try to track down a decent Shumate in the meantime.

Probably just as good :tongue_sm.

The Ducks are prettier though. Overpriced? I do agree.

I agree with Jorge.

I've had a couple of Specials, Satinedge, and a Goldedge I got from Jorge. They were (or are) all very nice shavers. Easy to hone, and smooth.

However, I've got the same quality edge and shave from a $10 Torrey.

It's my thought that most decent vintage razors are all pretty much the same when it comes to the shave - as long as they're honed properly. Some look nicer than others, and some have nice scales, but the shave is really mostly dependent on the honing job.

The thing that distinguishes a duck isn't the shave cause any quality razor should give a fantastic shave. Rather its a combination of great shave, ease to hone, good balance and ergonomics and consistency in quality through the entire model line. Are they overpriced? They sure are but so are many other razors.

If you have any duck and it's not giving you a super shave it's not honed to it's potential.

As far as the Vesuvius goes that reaper moder is the precursor of the grim reaper and was supposed to be part of a series. It just never happened.

Ok guys, are there any other razors that in your opinion shave as well as a DD (other than the obvious Bokers, W&Bs, etc)? Seems any DD without a chip in the blade costs upwards of 80.00, which seems ridiculous to me. I'll try to track down a decent Shumate in the meantime.

Any well honed vintage full hollow. I shaves with a ton of solingen and american full hollows that are on par as a DD and can be had for so much cheaper. Watch BST and you can pick up fully restored blades for $50 or so quite often. Don't put much stock if anything at all in the maker.

Top Bottom