What's new

Vest pocket

I have a couple issues with true “vest pipes”. They be itty bitty, smoke hot, and are typically expensive, relatively speaking. I bought one once thinking, “how cute, I need one”. Think I smoked it twice. If I’m gonna take a smoke break at work, I want it to be worth my time. I don’t drink from an itty bitty China cup.

You weren’t wasting anyone’s time. Just trying to steer you in the right direction.

I guess i didnt realize the scale without seeing one in person. When i think pocket, i think something that will likely fill a pocket. Judging by what you say, it sounds like these are smaller than what i am thinking.

Maybe i will just pick up a few nice regular briars that we can add to our collections. No harm in that and more versatile i guess.

And those bones others posted look really cool too. Might have to give those a try.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I guess i didnt realize the scale without seeing one in person. When i think pocket, i think something that will likely fill a pocket. Judging by what you say, it sounds like these are smaller than what i am thinking.

Maybe i will just pick up a few nice regular briars that we can add to our collections. No harm in that and more versatile i guess.

And those bones others posted look really cool too. Might have to give those a try.
I always say it...Savinelli Series III pipes from the Pipe Nook.

They are cheap for a good briar pipe, no frills, color beautifully and there are smaller sizes available. The 207 I'm smoking now is rather small...my two cents.

If you really want one I don’t want to poopoo on them. I just didn’t really get much use out of the one I have.

I think the bones are pretty awesome, and they age beautifully.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I’m sure the recipients will be happy with whatever you decide on.

If you really want one I don’t want to poopoo on them. I just didn’t really get much use out of the one I have.

I think the bones are pretty awesome, and they age beautifully.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I’m sure the recipients will be happy with whatever you decide on.

No, thats ok! Im glad that you have used one and shared your opinion. From what you described, it sounds like you did what i was about to do. You saw one, liked it, and used it and found it wasn't for you.

I want to make sure whatever i get my friend will be something that we enjoy using. And from your experience it sounds like it was useable but not ideal.

I am going to strongly consider a bones or the savinelli suggested by brandaves.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

If you’re newer to pipes, just a couple suggestions until you get more comfortable with it.

Try to avoid too short a pipe, and too complex a curve. Shorter ‘nose warmers’ tend to smoke a little hotter and aggressively than a more standard length, particularly if you are over puffing it. They are also a little harder to light for beginners, and can overwhelm your intake if you get careless.

A straighter profile pipe (to start) will be easier to manage draw on, and easier to keep clean.

If you are not into pipe flaunting, a Dr. Grabow is still an excellent starter pipe at a very modest price. A nice step up from a cob for not much more money. You can run them filterless, or drop a 6mm into one to keep from getting bit until you master your draw. They are also on the smaller side, and make excellent travel and pocket pipes. If you ruin the pipe or lose it, it’s not going to hurt your wallet like a Castello or artesian-made might.

I've always had very good luck with the H.I.S brand. Not quiet pocket pipes, although one usually rides in a jacket pocket with me. They're decent smokers and many look pretty sharp. A step more sideways than up from a Grabow, except for looks.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You might also consider opera pipes. These are compact oval bowled pipes that were supposedly designed for the gentleman to keep in their best pocket when they go to the opera. Lots of examples and even high end makers like Dunhill make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have had a couple of the Roley type folding vest pocket pipes. A cute novelty but not a particularly good smoker IMHO.

Top Bottom