What's new

Very strange scales material - What the hell is it

How strong is the pull to a magnet? As far as I'm aware there are no non-metallic materials that are attracted to a magnet enough to allow you to feel the pull. You may have a thin sheet steel core or something inside the scales to give them strength and resistance to breakage.

Strong enough to hold themselves up when you turn them upside down. You can definitely feel the pull.
If you look at the picture that shows the inside of the scales it seems unlikely there has been anything added inside.

There must be something inside... It wouldn't have been added after the scales were made, probably made in a sandwich manner when the leather or whatever that stuff is was pressed or molded. Regardless, there is steel in there somewhere if it is attracted to a magnet.

The scales are only 2.8mm thick and don't look like any sandwiching went on.
The front of the scales can be sanded and at one point I thought they could be horn, but the insides almost immediately clogged the sandpaper so perhaps this is a rubber type filling after something was placed inside. (I'm sure I would have found a seam in there)
I sanded the inside to where they were acceptable and left it at that as the insides would never be seen again.
It just seems like an awful lot a hassle to the steps in making scales which is why I was marking down a metal insert as improbable.

There's very little info on Joseph Fenton's so unless they're a super high quality manufacturer, which I doubt? They do however seem very rare from my initial inquiries and almost total lack of availability on the bay. Very few examples on here as well.

I was thinking next time I'm at an airport I'll use their x-ray machine to find out for certain.
Then I thought whipping out a straight razor at airport security mightn't go down too well.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Is any dust or some scrapings off the back of the scale magnetic by itself? This may give you a clue if there's an insert in them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was thinking next time I'm at an airport I'll use their x-ray machine to find out for certain.
Then I thought whipping out a straight razor at airport security mightn't go down too well.
Priceless! Lol, at the same time, act like you just saw your buddy and yell out: "Hi Jack!"

Is any dust or some scrapings off the back of the scale magnetic by itself? This may give you a clue if there's an insert in them.
I still had some of the gummed up sandpaper and just tried it there, it's NOT attracted to a magnet.
The razor is back together now so all I have are the pictures on this thread. Looking back at pic 4 in post#4 it does look like there's a depression in the inside scales. It might just be where I sanded so I'm not sure.

The steel inside the scales doesn't need to be any thicker than .010" (~ 0.25mm) to provide a good backbone. If the scale is 2.8mm thick there is plenty of room in there. The steel in this case would only be used to provide strength in tension, as pressed leather or rubber will be plenty strong in compression. May help to keep the scale straight if the steel is thicker too.

Top Bottom